Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #16
Forum Member

Nice shots & looks like you had a lot of fun!

02-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hmm, few comments on these, as late as I am to the party -
fast glass isn't strictly necessary, you just need to learn how to track to get panning shots.
Monopods make this a lot easier, especially if the lens has a tripod mount.
Select the best photos out of what you've shot to upload, uploading every single photo is a waste of time.
Still, I'm jealous - would love to shoot a snow event!
QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
In about a month a Pro Rally race (similar to WRC)
Ah, that's nothing like the WRC. Looks like a amateur group N event at best (and which fool put that mk IV Golf in there???? They don't handle, let alone well enough for that kind of event)
02-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Right, I was not drawing a direct comparison to WRC. Unfortunately, most people in the US have never heard of Rally so one has to paint a picture if you will. There were only like 4 Pros out of the entire group. At this time, Rally is an extremely small and obscure racing segment in the US (why - I can not imagine). So yeah, you're going to see a lot of crazy cars (like the Saturn).

I beg to differ on the MKIV as I campaigned a Group2 GTI quite well, and beat pretty much all cars in the field (outside of my class included) except for the AWD high-horsepower cars.

Since Rally is so obscure and thus garners so little attention, I wanted to make sure all the drivers had at least one shot of their car, good or bad. It feels good to have pictures of your car in action, regardless of the quality of the pic.

Thanks for the comments, absolutely looking to improve.
02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I worked (and shot some photos at) the STRP ProRally in PA in, I think, '02 and '03... but I used a long-zoom PnS for those (it was between my K1000 and my *ist DL, unfortunately). I've also done a fair amount of photography at Watkins Glen with my K1000. Shooting rally is certainly much different than shooting other motorsports!

If you're near a corner, as most will be, it should be fairly easy as the cars aren't moving all that fast. I think the pros often use trailing-curtain flash as well to both freeze the cars and give a sense of motion from the blur. Regardless, even with my basic PnS cameras, I got decent results, I think.

SupremeMoFo - yes, ProRally isn't on the same level as the WRC, but a couple years ago, the top ProRally cars were more powerful than the restricted ones in the WRC. I don't believe that's the case any more. Also, everyone uses standardized event-supplied pace notes rather than creating their own. But, it's still rally which is nice for rally-starved Americans like me (WRC isn't even aired here any more, I have to get it off the net). Other notes of interest, Nicky Grist has visited one or two with the idea that maybe one could be a WRC round some day, and Colin McRae's two X-Rally appearances were actually part of the Rally America (current name for the old SCCA ProRally) series. And now, one of the top American rally guys, Travis Pastrana, was going to be competing in the full PWRC schedule for 2008, though that's been pushed off a year or two and will do occasional European events. He's also now got Colin's old codriver, Derek Ringer, reading the notes for him. There are also a few interesting cars, like the factory-sponsored Hyundai Tiburons (I believe known as just the Hyundai Coupe elsewhere?) with AWD and turbo, I haven't seen similar cars in any other rally series. Hyundai has since dropped out but the cars continue on.

And you do see a variety of cars, from Porsches to Mitsubishi Starions to gray-market early Evos to an MGBGT (which had an unfortunate incident with a tree that I got some photos of.)

My STi proudly wears a WRC sticker, even if few others know what it means.

02-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very seriously considering hitting the PA rally this year. Should be a good time.
02-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Fair 'nuff guys. Rallying is fairly big here (nothing compared to the ****ing V8 Supercar series though), although a recent drop in the number of factory teams competing has hit the sport pretty hard, especially when Subaru pulled out 2 years ago. (their reasoning was, they'd won 10 years straight and were going to change focus to tarmac events. This never eventuated and the Subaru Rally Team Australia has all but evaporated)
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
My STi proudly wears a WRC sticker, even if few others know what it means.
Onya
02-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Fair 'nuff guys. Rallying is fairly big here (nothing compared to the ****ing V8 Supercar series though), although a recent drop in the number of factory teams competing has hit the sport pretty hard, especially when Subaru pulled out 2 years ago. (their reasoning was, they'd won 10 years straight and were going to change focus to tarmac events. This never eventuated and the Subaru Rally Team Australia has all but evaporated)
Onya
We actually get the Australian V8 Supercars on TV sometimes here in the USA. It sure beats the heck out of NASCAR but I'll stick take rallying.

I'm surprised that Subaru pulled out. They're been the one manufacturer who's stuck with rallying in the USA - a few years ago, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai had factory teams, and the latter two dropped out after 2-3 years. I think Subaru dropped one year then came back. Actually, I'm not positive if the current team is "official" but they're nearly, they're linked on the official Subaru sites and featured in the official magazine. Really, in the USA, Subaru = rallying. You can't have one without the other.

Back on Subaru leaving Australia, maybe they figured that they got Atkinson on their WRC team so a local team had nothing left to offer them. (Atkinson is a hell of a driver!)
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It has been quite a while since I have posted here, just too consumed in other hobbies (mountain biking) and general life chaos.

I am going to the same Rally race again this year but am desperately trying to take my photos to the next level. Last years shots can be viewed H_E_R_E .

I'm sick of underexposed, drab, and blurry images. I am renting a lens this year from Camera Lens Rentals.com and selected the 50-135 2.8 as a starter.

What practices can I implore to bring these photos to professional grade this year?

Thanks!

Mike

12-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No input on the above, eh?

It seems renting this lens will help partially, any other lenses I should consider first (other than my personal talent, which is obviously quite low) ?
12-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #25

I Would Try a Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
No input on the above, eh?

It seems renting this lens will help partially, any other lenses I should consider first (other than my personal talent, which is obviously quite low) ?
I shot a 25 hour race last December and some of my best shots were in the late afternoon when the sun was almost down. I used a Vivitar 285HV set at the tele end and got some great shots. The flash can really brighten up drab lighting situations and highlight the car. This may work well in the shady, overcast lighting that you seem to be encountering.
It looks like you are getting plenty of shutter speed in your shots from last year to freeze the action so I don't think that a faster lens is going to make your shots brighter. The 50-135 is a great lens so the colors may look better. Try dialing in some exposure compensation as your camera may be partially metering off of the snow and darkening the entire exposure based on not blowing the highlights.
12-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I am picking up a new flash (probably the Sigma 530) so that should also help me out this year. I will certainly check out the exp. comp. Good advice, thanks!

Mike