Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best of the used (K-5, K-x, K-7)

I was looking to purchase a used Pentax DSLR from a local camera shop here in Raleigh. My options are the K-5, K-x, and K-7). As you can imagine, the K-5 is the most expensive of the three. The K-7 and K-x come with a lens (I don't remember what kinds). As for the cameras that come with a lens, I can get them cheaper without the lens. I can also haggle for the K-5. What do yall think would be my best option?

10-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go with the k-5 assuming the price is in line. Several have been available here on the marketplace which should give you a reasonable idea of what you should pay. Also be sure to check the shutter count. If nothing else it is a point that can be haggled over.

k-x is a nice little camera, my wife still uses one, but starting to get dated and it is a consumer camera not a 'pro' camera as far as features, buttons and controls are concerned. IQ is still quite good.

I've no experience with the k-7
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Can't speak for the K7 but having both K-x and K-5 you won't go wrong with either depending on how much you want to spend and the condition of the camera(s) - shutter count? K-x is no slouch by any means but the K5 has more bells and whistles - WR, Battery Grip, Dynamic Range, Quiet Shutter, TaV Mode, Etc. I would go for the K5. If I may ask, what are the price range?
10-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

i would be inclined to buy from here than the shop but am sure there is some kind of warranty that comes with it

10-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have used all three cameras.
If you can afford the K-5 that is the one to go for.

But it all depends on your primary objectives, such as is WR and outdoor daylight shooting all you need?
Then the K-7 is fine.

IMO for pure IQ it is in this order K-5, K-x, K-7.
10-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which DSLR Body?

Hello ASheffield,
I've never used the K-x, but own both a K-7 and K-5. I'll try to give you a comparison between those two.
They are the same basic body but the K-5 was introduced one year later and has several upgrades and refinements. Here's a short list;
Megapixels; K-7 14.6, K-5- 16.28
ISO Range- K-7 100-3200, K-5 100-12800 (both normal range, unexpanded)
Ev Range- K-7 0-21Ev, K-5- 0-22Ev
AF- K-7 SAFOX VIII, K-5 SAFOX IX
The K-5 has, in addition to the normal video functions of the K-7, full HD video. The K-5 has a higher continuous frame rate for burst shooting. Perhaps the most obvious improvement was in high-ISO situations. A newer, better sensor with CP coating made the K-5 a standout in low light situations, as good, if not better than most cameras in th same price bracket and period (2010-2011). The PRIME II imaging engine improved the AF speed and accuracy also.
All the above may sound like a sales pitch for the K-5, but in actual use, it is a far better value than the K-7, which is a pretty good camera in its own right.
The 5's colors seem slightly brighter, the detail more finely rendered and the AF speed is clearly faster, using the same lenses I used on the K-7.
The K-7 was good with ISO's up to about 800, but anything above 1600 was unusable, even with 'heavy thumb' noise reduction in LR4 post processing.
The K-5 breezes past 1600 without blinking and 3200 hardly breaks a sweat. 6400 on the K-5 looks like 1600 on the 7, I'm serious!
In other words, the seven is a good camera, but the five is a great one.
The ratings on the camera reviews here on PF bear this out; K-7 8.51, K-5 9.36.
Even if the five costs somewhat more, it's worth it!
JMO,
Ron
10-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i would be inclined to buy from here than the shop but am sure there is some kind of warranty that comes with it
I agree with Amy. If these Pentax models were Canikon trade-ins the retailer has peanuts in them if they're anything like the one Canikon venue in Charlotte that has a large used market. I've been in frequently when the dealer won't even trade for Pentax and they just point at me like the Grim Reaper in Monty Python. Does the vendor even stock Pentax as a brand? I have both K-7 and K-5. Ergonomics are superb on both but the sensor on the K-5 really makes for a huge difference. Check the PF here for great deals on lenses and work the dealer hard since new NOS versions can be found at 500-600 with low cost extended warranties. Good Luck and maybe some of the other NC folks (baro-nite,jheu, etc.) can give you some assistance. Dewayne down at ASAP in Greenville(ECU) sometimes has Pentax used with a personal m42 SMC collection that I've thinned out over the past few years for use with the Q. Regards.
10-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I was looking to purchase a used Pentax DSLR from a local camera shop here in Raleigh. My options are the K-5, K-x, and K-7). As you can imagine, the K-5 is the most expensive of the three. The K-7 and K-x come with a lens (I don't remember what kinds). As for the cameras that come with a lens, I can get them cheaper without the lens. I can also haggle for the K-5. What do yall think would be my best option?
The K-5 is best by far. No question about that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The extra MegaPixels mean next to nothing unless you are printing huge posters and intend standing close to them to inspect them.
Posting on facebook, forums and flickr et al you will rarely exceed 2mp anyway.

If the difference between the K-5 and K-7 is huge, then go for the K-7, if it's a smallish difference then fess up for the K-5. It's a no brainer really.
I'd avoid the K-x personally because I use the top LCD and would miss it (as I do on the K-01).
And has been said, the ergonomics of the K-7 and K-5 are superb..
10-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've kept my K-x as second body, and that's a great plan, except I won't use it. K-5 all the way.
10-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5. Unless weight is a big issue to you. Then you'd look for a K-r or K-50 instead.
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K-5. Unless weight is a big issue to you. Then you'd look for a K-r or K-50 instead.
I actually prefer heavier cameras as it gives me more control.
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Then a K-5 is your best choice. By far.