Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by deaner Quote
I've read it before, and it's true: read the manual. Then read it again. Take many pictures. Then read the manual again. Keep taking pictures. Then go to bed. But before you sleep, read the manual.

In January, like you, I bought a K10d as my first DSLR. I love it. And like you, I was intimidated by all the menus and options. But I read, reread and read again the manual. It really does help. You miss things the first few times through. But eventually, things start sticking.

Stick to it. And read the manual again.
I have to agree. I read the manual the first weekend I got my k10 (last Oct) and was so overwhelmed, I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I'd never shot film, and was coming from P&S only .. so EVERYTHING was overwhelming to me.

As I slowly learned what aperture, shutter speed, metering, etc were (and am still learning!), I went back to the manual and read pieces at a time. Now .. I enjoy just randomly opening the manual to see what new features I haven't mastered yet. Anytime I read something I dont understand, I Google it, or search for it here on the forums.

Good luck, and happy learning!

(ps .. there's an online version of the manual that makes it easy to "Search" .. there's a link to it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/368-k10d-user-s-ma...ow-online.html )

03-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to oceanic:

have you tried turning on the highlights/lowlights function in review mode? what i am finding through trial and error is that virtually any highlight in the frame will force the camera to underexpose - it seems very sensitive to hign contrast. i've taken a few shots that looked totally underexposed, but when i checked the histogram and flashing highlights found that one or two areas were right on the point of being washed out.

and exactly what lens are you using?