Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Want more lenses for your K20D? Here’s how to get them...maybe.

Hi Pentaxians and friends,

Pentax has moved closer to the Professional caliber DSLR cameras with the K20D, although I see no reason it is not in the Professional class to begin with. It is a better camera than that 8 mp expensive Professional DSLR camera that sold around $8,000.00 a few years ago… you know the one! It is just as good as or better than some Professional cameras available today at a much higher price. Anyway, the purpose of this post is not about comparing the criteria of Professional camera versus Advanced Amateur cameras. We’ll keep that for another post.

We spent a serious amount of money for our Pentax DSLR, whether it’s the K10D, K20D, K200D, or one of the K100D series. The camera body is just the beginning. If you were to sit down and add all of the purchases you made on photographic related items since getting your camera body, you may be in for a surprise. Count the lenses, cases, filters, magazines, books, cleaning stuff, etc, I bet you have spent a lot more than what you spent for the camera body.

Then, the LBA saying (Lens Buying Addiction) started by Lance Blackburn of Australia, really made me think of how many lenses I purchased, sold, traded, over the last few years. I have to keep that number secret.

You all know that the lenses are actually the most important part of your photographic system. Buy good glass, and you’ll have them forever, especially with the backward compatibility of Pentax cameras. It doesn’t pay to buy cheap lenses as the quality of your pictures will suffer. I prefer buying lenses made by the camera manufacturer. They know their cameras better than anyone else and design their lenses to suit. I personally would rather have one excellent lens than half a dozen cheap lenses. The problem, at least for me, is the cost of purchasing the lenses. I don’t have that proverbial money tree in my backyard.

Photography is my passion, but not necessarily my wife’s passion. She doesn’t always agree with my LBA. I learned through the years, that good marketing entails creating win/win situations, or at least the perception of a win/win situation. If I get lenses, my spouse should get something too. Actual monetary value does not necessarily have much to do with it. You know…it’s the thought that counts.

Don’t think that buying lenses first and taking her out for dinner after the fact will do. Of course, we should all spend money within our budget, but everything runs much smoother when both of us get something. Knowing my wife like I do gives me the insight of treating her good first, before I buy my lenses. How could she get upset after I spend money on her? She loves shoes, purses, and sunglasses. I can buy many of those for the price of one good lens. So we buy shoes, purses, sunglasses and other “stuff” for her often and when it’s my turn to buy a new lens, I get what I want without any disagreements.

There are many women in photography now and I suppose that the opposite applies as well. Let him buy what he likes…then buy your lenses.

You know, in the end, it’s probably me that gets the short end of the stick. My wife is likely aware of my scheme and really lets me think that I’m in a win/win situation. How can I disagree anytime she buys clothing, shoes, etc? I want my lenses and I even tell her how good she looks in her new “stuff”.

Thanks for reading,

Visit my blog when you have time, Pentax DSLRs

Yvon Bourque

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:44 PM.
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got divorced instead. Easier in the long run...
03-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
That's not fair.

But it's funny.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 03-28-2008 at 11:11 PM.
03-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
That's not fair.
What's really not fair is that my dw uses Pentax, too. She notices things she shouldn't. I mean, really, what is more important: a leaky roof or the new DA* 300. Let's get out priorities straight here.

03-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax deserve a medal. The only visible differences between the K10D and the k20d is the fractional increase in Monitor size, the invisible PC socket and the "20" and who looks at numbers

It works

David
03-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
What's really not fair is that my dw uses Pentax, too. She notices things she shouldn't. I mean, really, what is more important: a leaky roof or the new DA* 300. Let's get out priorities straight here.
Thats easy, fix the leaky roof first, so that your DA*300 doesn't get wet. Anyway thats what I did.
03-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Pentax deserve a medal. The only visible differences between the K10D and the k20d is the fractional increase in Monitor size, the invisible PC socket and the "20" and who looks at numbers

It works

David
I really, really have to agree with that.
03-29-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Thats easy, fix the leaky roof first, so that your DA*300 doesn't get wet. Anyway thats what I did.
Who cares for a leaky roof. The DA* 300/4 is weather sealed!

03-29-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Who cares for a leaky roof. The DA* 300/4 is weather sealed!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but its only weathersealed when mounted.
03-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #10

Sorry to rain on your parade, but its only weathersealed when mounted.
Well, then keep it mounted on the camera, at least till the roof is fixed.
03-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm with nostatic on this one, worked great!
03-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
sometimes it's not that easy.
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

But the DA* 300 is weatherproof. I don't need to worry about the water on the lens.
03-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I like this math, will let you know how it works
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hehe, love the graphic Yvonne (its 60-250 though, teehee). Here is the win/win scenario I live by - As long as there is a holiday on the calendar for my fiance to look forward to and our regular contribution made to savings each month, she doesn't care how I spend my money. I can go 5 years in a stretch with no holidays if I'm buying gear. She can not. But in the end, I get to go on holiday as well - win/win!

Kelly.