Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust and the K10D( A mild rant)

One of the things that drew me to the K10D was the dust removal feature. Two months into ownership I have had to use a blower 2 times. that's not a lot but each time I didn't notice the dust until I shot about 75 images.

It looks like I will have to alter my start up procedure before going out to take photos to include a dust check. No big deal but irritating non the less. For those of you that have experience with Canon and Nikon, is this a lot or average.

regards,

01-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found that enabling DR upon start-up isn't such a bad idea. It definitely replaces the blower for me- none of my shots show any dust after I turned that on...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have had DR on since I got the camera.

Regards,
01-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

found 2 specs in my sensor recently..rocket blower made quick work....I run DR every now and then

01-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I found two pieces of dust on three white background shots in a recent series. One piece was the "s" shape variety and the other was a spec. At first I was upset, but then I noticed in the fourth shot that both pieces had already fallen off. And that was without the DR function. The only thing I can think is that it was the "slick" AA filter that just let the dust drop off. I'm happy.
01-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #6

i actually had to use the blower tonight after noticing dust on a series of about 12 images i took. i've had DR on at startup since I got the camera. In terms of time, I've gone much longer with all my other DSLRs without having to clean the sensor at all... but I've really been working my K10D. I've probably gone on as many outings and done as many lens changes in the month or so I've had it as 3-4 months with any of my previous cameras. Despite the one shortcoming that really irritates me (inaccurate AF in tungsten lighting), i love the camera. it's not such a big deal to need a blower for 10 seconds every couple of months.
01-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to "rocket blow" my DS every time I shoot macro or there is a surprise waiting. Haven't had that problem at all with the K10D. Macro really shows this up. I am very happy with the Pentax K10D dust performance. Don't even have it set to work every time camera turns on.
thanks
barondla

01-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

does anyone know if swabbing the new sensor filter harms it??
01-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
does anyone know if swabbing the new sensor filter harms it??
That depends on what you swab it with... Eclipse and sensor swabs work well if you have to, but be careful the first time you do it. When I got my K100 it arrived with some wonderful dust spots. I used eclipse and ended up with an oily smear on the sensor. No problem as it was lifted up with another application of eclipse.

When I checked on the net the manufacturer reccommends not doing your first few cleanings with the wet method as it can pick up residues and oils from the manufacturing process. Whether this is true or not I don't know, perhaps the oil came from my inexpert use of the swabs.
01-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

what about the K100/110D models?

I have a K100D, which does not have the feature that the K10D has of being able to shake off the dust on the sensor. Hope I'm not harming this thread by asking - I get the impression it's kind of run its course with respect to the K10D - but I'd be grateful for a little more info.

1. Where does this dust problem come from or how does it arise? Do all SLRs and digital SLRs have it? Does dust get on to the sensor when you change lenses, or in some other way?

2. Is there any way to prevent or minimize the problem? Would you eliminate the problem, for example, by NEVER changing lenses? How about changing lenses only in a classic "clean room"? Do photographers who smoke have worse problems than non-smokers? How about changing lenses in some sort of a "clean bag"?

3. Do I have to worry about this problem with my K100D?

Apropos my second question, in his Magic Lantern Guides book on the K100/110D, Joe Ferace says
You can minimize problems [with dust] by turning the camera off before changing lenses and keeping the lens or a body cap on the camera when you're not using it.
He recommends vacuuming your camera bag now and then to keep it clean. He also says that Pentax recommends that you contact a factory service center for professional cleaning. He gives instructions on how to clean the sensor, but only after a somewhat scary warning.

Looking for guidance or tips. Thanks,

Will
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will don't let my rant throw you. It really isn't a big deal. Test for dirt by taking a shot at a high f stop and see if there are any spots. If there are just use a blower to clean them off. Lock the mirror up and squeeze the blower a couple of times and it's done.
Yes it is a common problem with all DSLRs.
Regards,

By the way, how are you doing with your new M50?
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Is there any way to prevent or minimize the problem? Would you eliminate the problem, for example, by NEVER changing lenses? How about changing lenses only in a classic "clean room"? Do photographers who smoke have worse problems than non-smokers? How about changing lenses in some sort of a "clean bag"?.
My personal experience with an Olympus dSLR and its ultrasonic dustbuster is that an Olympus gets rid of dust - and I changed lenses often, changed them anywhere, carried them in my jacket pocket, and have never needed to clean its sensor.

That same behavior with the K100D ends up with me finding dust particles all the time. I noticed dust on day 2 and usually need a weekly blow off. If you're one of these big bokeh fans, maybe you'll never notice it. My shots tend to use smaller f-stops that bring it out.

Even if you never changed lenses, dust can leak in via the lens flange. Consider that 95% of all DLSR owners have to deal with dust (Oly only has about 5% market penetration) and do what they do. So far, I've managed with a bulb blower. The local store doesn't stock any wet cleaners, so I'll have to order a kit one of these days.
01-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
Even if you never changed lenses, dust can leak in via the lens flange. Consider that 95% of all DLSR owners have to deal with dust (Oly only has about 5% market penetration) and do what they do. So far, I've managed with a bulb blower. ....
Wow, that's a great tip. I have a can of compressed air - I've kept it around for years for use cleaning computer parts - but I read somewhere that it's actually got some potential risks when you blow into the innards of a camera. A bulb blower sounds like it would be much cheaper in the long run, easier to carry around, just about as effective and potentially safer.

The one thing I DO know is that you aren't supposed to blow into the camera's insides with your mouth. :-)

Will
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #14

Compressed air - no, never ever use that. Propellents could &%*% up your camera.
The Biotti Rocket blower - medium size is the way to go for blowers, so everyone says.

I've just been shooting f/1.4 to f/8 and no dust problems, and my sensor does have dust on it. This is a good short term solution if you can tolerate it.

P&S cameras mostly shoot mid aperature so you don't notice the dust.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Wow, that's a great tip. I have a can of compressed air - I've kept it around for years for use cleaning computer parts - but I read somewhere that it's actually got some potential risks when you blow into the innards of a camera. A bulb blower sounds like it would be much cheaper in the long run, easier to carry around, just about as effective and potentially safer.

The one thing I DO know is that you aren't supposed to blow into the camera's insides with your mouth. :-)

Will
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will: I can't stress this strongly enough DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR the stuff they use as propellent will gum up your sensor something awful. Use a "Rocket Blower" or other hand held bulb blower or a foot pump. I already had a foot pump and it works as well as a bulb blower. Here is a great link on dust and digital cameras
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

NaCl(dust isn't as terrible a problem as some think)H2O