Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you had this problem?
Yes 212.50%
No 1487.50%
My eyes are bad and I can't tell   00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help Please!!!!!!

Hello to all!

First, I'm brand new here, although I've lurked from time to time over the years.

I'm new to the world of DSLR's, and I've been out of the serious side of the hobby for some time. I've been using point and shoot digitals for the last several years. However, I recently picked up a Samsung GX-1L (same camera as the ist*DL2) and have been enjoying it immensely. I got it with the kit lens, picked up a couple more AF lenses to round it out, and then fall back on my collection of M42, KM, and KA lenses of both prime and zoom types.

I've been shooting like crazy, and taking lots of pictures for business, but the hobby side of me has re-emerged and I'm having a blast. Recent trips to the Wine Country in Northern CA, as well as hoofing it around San Francisco and the Bay Area have provided lots of photo opportunities.

Yesterday, I discovered a problem with the camera. When using any of my K mount lenses including Pentax, Takumar, Cosmicar, Tamron or any other brand, the viewfinder will show a razor sharp image, but the picture comes out blurry. If relying on the focus beep (which doesn't work well in low light), the images come out clear, yet appear blurry in the viewfinder. I've found this to be the case with my Tamron 28mm 2.5, 24mm 2.5, 70-210mm 3.5, Sears 135mm 2.8 macro, Pentax 50mm 1.7 A, 35mm 2.8 M, 28mm 2.8 M, 200mm 4 M and others. However, my Samsung 18-55mm AF, Pentax DA18-55, Pentax DA50-200, Pentax SMC FA 100-300mm work fine in AF mode. I get the same blurry photos from the AF lenses when used in MF mode.

I've adjusted the viewfinder diopter, and tried using left eye or right eye. I don't know what to do, and it's really annoying as this showed up yesterday.

I might add, I've cleaned the sensor, and checked all the lenses for cleanliness. Is there another adjustment I've overlooked?

Please help!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

W

Last edited by w6wat; 03-29-2008 at 06:17 PM.
03-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you've already tried to adjust the diopter, then I think it must be your focus screen is misaligned. However, just want to make sure, when you adjust the diopter, you're supposed to find the spot where your focus screen is clearest. I hope I don't offend you by saying that . Personally, I've had 5 different film SLRs (non-Pentax however) in the past and 2 dSLRs at the moment, and I've not encountered this problem.
03-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be surprised if your eye piece adjustment is off.

The view finder is a projection onto a screen, your view finder cannot impact the focus of that projection. You can focus your eyepeice by adjusting it so any of the lines on the screen are shapr. Its that simple, but as I said, you cannot make a sharp image out of a fuzzy projection, optically it is just not possible.

I have never heard of people having a problem like this unless the focusing screen has been removed and installed incorrectly, possibly upside down, or a low cost aftermarket screen is installed..
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

1. Pentaprism shifted in mount

2. Mirror not dropping down all the way

3. Mirror out of alignment

4. Focus screen installed backwards

03-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys thusfar!

Well.....the focus screen is not backwards or upside down, and its in position. Its also OEM, and not an aftermarket. The mirror appears fully extended to its down position. The Pentaprism I have no idea about. I may issue a couple of light taps with my palm to see if that helps. Its really an odd and annoying situation.
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

can you post examples of the photos?
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the opposite happened to me.
In the viewfinder I couldn't see clearly...
I was going crazy the whole day and then I saw
that "someone" adjusted that thing (lol) on bottom
of the viewfinder (the switch for people with glasses and stuff).
03-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #8

Don't tap!

DO NOT "tap" your camera lightly or otherwise! If this problem is something you can't resolve by traditional end user methods, such as adjusting the diopter etc. and you are sure about your eyesight, no offense, then you should get it checked out by a local trustworthy, AUTHORIZED for your brand, repair shop. It may cost $$ but you should walk away with an answer/resolution after doing this.

Good luck,
Carlos

03-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fixed the problem!

Thanks for all the suggestions! After the mention of the focusing screen, I remembered I took it out a few days ago while in a motel room during a trip. It had some dust on it. I just checked it again and realized I'd transposed the position of the brass frame and focus screen. Swapped them back to where they're supposed to live, and all is well again.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
03-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just noticed your user id. Is w6wat a ham radio callsign?

stewart
03-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fixed the problem!

Thanks for all the suggestions! After the mention of the focusing screen, I remembered I took it out a few days ago while in a motel room during a trip. It had some dust on it. I just checked it again and realized I'd transposed the position of the brass frame and focus screen. Swapped them back to where they're supposed to live, and all is well again.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
03-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
yep, it sure is!
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
Glad you found the problem.

Rick AE7RS