Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
using onboard flash w/ M-series lenses

I just recently acquired a smc-M28/2.8 and will be getting a M50/1.4 soon and I'm wondering if there's any way to make the onboard flash on my K10 work properly with the M-series lenses. I've tried it with the 28 and no matter which aperture setting I use, highlights get way blown out. I'm using it in manual mode using the green button to set the shutter speed. Are there any secret tricks to making them work together?

BTW, I put a shoe mount flash (Sunpak 383) on, set the aperture to what the flash back indicated it needed to be, set the shutter speed to 1/125 and it worked just fine.

Thanks!
Heather

03-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

With non-A lenses the camera will fire at maximum flash power.
03-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #3

Try setting the shutter speed to 180 and a low ISO setting of 100 or 200. Then just play with the aperture to get a good exposure.
03-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Better to adjust the Aperture as you do with manual cameras & flash.
try adjusting the flash output or the EV componsation.
It wont take you more then 10 shots to get the best settings. then you can use the AE lock.
Mostly AE errors has a definate pattern for every lens, memorize them & you will get almost 90% corect exposer.

I have read so many threads people talking about the incorrrect exposures with Manual lenses, but they should always think that atleas they can use them with some minor adjustments.

03-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I just recently acquired a smc-M28/2.8 and will be getting a M50/1.4 soon and I'm wondering if there's any way to make the onboard flash on my K10 work properly with the M-series lenses. I've tried it with the 28 and no matter which aperture setting I use, highlights get way blown out. I'm using it in manual mode using the green button to set the shutter speed. Are there any secret tricks to making them work together?

BTW, I put a shoe mount flash (Sunpak 383) on, set the aperture to what the flash back indicated it needed to be, set the shutter speed to 1/125 and it worked just fine.

Thanks!
Heather
Heather, according to the manual for the K10D, the flash has a guide number of 11 in meters at ISO 100. That would be 36 in feet. for lazy math, I will use a flash guide number of 36 in feet. The math is easy: if junior is 9 feet away, 36/9 gives you f/4.

Straight flash exposure:
  1. Set the mode dial to X
  2. Set the aperture ring to 4
  3. Charge the flash and shoot

Fill flash exposure: 1:2 means you use f/5.6 instead of f/4 at 9 feet.
  1. Set the mode dial to M
  2. Set the aperture to f/5.6
  3. Use the dof position on the power switch and set the manual exposure using the shutter speed. Make sure it is no faster than 1/180
  4. Charge the flash and shoot

I hope this helps to get you going on this. BTW this is exactly what was done in the days of Spotmatics and manual lenses and flash bulbs. That, of course, is the only reason I know it. I can remember all that old time stuff, and sometimes my name, but ...