Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the sensor cleaner be used on the mirror.

I noticed some specks on the viewfinder (mirror possibly) and in the pictures (sensor). I went ahead and ordered the eclipse E2 sensor cleaner for the sensor dust for my K10D.

What can I use to clean the dust specs that I see in the viewfinder which is probably from the mirrior. I tried a new rayban lens cloth on the mirror gently, ( but just read that it's a big no-no, but luckily didn't damage the mirror but got a few more specs in their). So, what can I use to clean the mirror. Web search is not helping me much here.

Thanks.

03-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #2

It may not be the mirror you are seeing specks on, or maybe you are talking about what I'm getting at. The Focusing Screen. And that is near impossible to clean.
03-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #3

Dust on the "front" of the focus screen is fairly easy to clean, best done with something very soft like a brush (Artic Butterfly perhaps).
My K100 has the bad habit of getting dust "behind" the focus screen, this is difficult to clean as removing the focus screen is required. I would recommend NOT doing this unless you are highly skilled and knowledgeable.

Something that I found to help hunting down dust on the mirror and focus screen is checking for the dust without a lens on.
03-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies. There is at least the dust that I left behing trying to clean the mirror that is 100% from the mirror. I am curious how I could remove that ?

I may be getting a katzeye focussing screen soon so cleaning the focussing screen is not an issue.

Thanks.

04-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i might have similiar problem with my brand new k10d. well, actually i only found one little tiny dot, really small in view finder. i dont have any idea where its locate. wheter its in mirror - focusing screen - or sensor ( i doubted it, i didnt see any in the photo result i have).

so what should actually do, go to the repairment or try clean it by my self?

--