Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What Makes The k100d "Entry Level"

Hey All,
After having this camera for only five days, I have barely scratched the surface of the possibilities of what I can do with it compared to the former bridgecam counterparts I used to own..so why does it seem that this cam is almost always called "entry level" on review websites? What makes a $1500-over $2000 DSLR that much better to shell the extra mega bucks for it? Even the K10d and k20d with the extra 4 MPs and lower ISO ability is still called a "DSLR beginners camera" Should we be insulted by this label?

Barry

03-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
After having this camera for only five days, I have barely scratched the surface of the possibilities of what I can do with it compared to the former bridgecam counterparts I used to own..so why does it seem that this cam is almost always called "entry level" on review websites? What makes a $1500-over $2000 DSLR that much better to shell the extra mega bucks for it? Even the K10d and k20d with the extra 4 MPs and lower ISO ability is still called a "DSLR beginners camera" Should we be insulted by this label?

Barry
The K10D and K20D is considered mid level dSLR, where as the K100D K200D are considered entry level.

What makes them entry level? They are the cheapest model you can buy from that brand. That's pretty much the definition of "entry level"

You get a lot of bang for your buck for sure. But don't believe there's no difference between an "entry" level and more expensive models. Would I consider the K100D as a beginner dSLR class camera? Yes, mainly because of features, but doesn't mean I believe the camera is incapable of brilliant shots.
03-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think also that what makes an entry level camera is the ease of use with the auto program modes such as Landscape, Portrait etc. Thats the number one reason I call a camera "Entry level", predefined settings that you can shoot with at once that gives some average results. When you step away from those programs and easier settings to be able (or have to rather), make all settings manually you are moving away from entry levels.

The Kx0D's don't have those predefined programs, which makes the camera a bit harder for the newcomers, but you get better results when you do it all manually. And the Kx0D's are designed with that in mind, with extra controls to easily change the settings for those that do it manually.

However, you can set those settings with the Kx00D's too, just not as easily. Basically, thats what constitutes a entry level for me, when you have an easier camera to use, to get the hang of different settings etc, when you are ready to leave all automatic programs etc, you move up one level and start doing it manually.
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still relatively new to dslr's, but after diving into this I think entry level may indicate a few things... of course price, but there usually are performance differences like the amount of pics that can be taken before the camera's buffer fills (ie: the k100 having around a 3 pic limit when taking raw pics vs the k10d having the ability to take more pics w/ out having to wait). Other differences might be considered to be the amount of megapixels, but many will say that the higher mp cams tend to have more noise/static at higher iso's, so pick your poison. And more advanced cams may have a higher frames/per second rate than entry level ones.

Then there are issues of control... entry level cams tend to have a single control dial to adjust things like iso, shutter speed etc whereas more advanced cams will have an additional dial that are sometimes custimizeable to allow for faster, more efficient changes. Related to this is that the more advanced cams may have additional buttons (which may also be customizeable) to further assist in making changes quicker. In the case of the k10d, this makes the cam larger which to some is a positive ergonomically, but may be a negative to others. Entry level cams tend to have scene modes where the camera will make many choices for the user... more advanced cams will sometimes forgo these scene modes.

In addition to having "better specs" and having more control, things like weather sealing, access to battery grips, and the ability to use special lenses to their fullest are other ways that advanced cameras may differ f/ the entry level counterparts. Of course this list is just generalities, but perhaps it helps answer your inquiry. Regardless, the k100d is still a great camera and a terrific value imo... and in the end, once you learn to use it to it's potential, it will blow away point-n-shoots.

03-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
In addition to having "better specs" and having more control, things like weather sealing, access to battery grips
The K100D and K200D is both weathersealed. K200D have battery grip too . And there are 3rd party grips for K100D i believe.
03-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
The K100D and K200D is both weathersealed.
Only way a K100D is weathersealed is if you hold an umbrella over it. Don't know who told you that, but they were telling porky pies.
03-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Only way a K100D is weathersealed is if you hold an umbrella over it. Don't know who told you that, but they were telling porky pies.
Ah. My mistake, thought they both were. Well get a K200D then