Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 05:56 AM   #1

K10d battery empty over night - camera was switched off

I have my K10d for a couple of weeks now and have twice experienced that the battery gets empty over night.

In both cases, the camera was switched to off in the evening, without showing any sign of a low battery (though I assume it has been half full at max).

In the morning, all the camera shows is a battery symbol at the top LCD for half a second, and then immediately turns off.

Has anyone experienced the same behaviour? Is there a solution?

Thanks you all.

PS: Yes, of course I will get a backup battery anyway

03-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

how cold was it? (weather wise)

only battery that's done that to me are the 3rd party batteries. (cheap, but never again)
03-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #3

I have three batteries and it's never happened to me. I'd exchange the battery. My guess is that it's defective.
03-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I have three batteries and it's never happened to me. I'd exchange the battery. My guess is that it's defective.
Yup, I too have 3 (third party) batteries along with the original and never had a problem.

03-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
It was in normal room temperature, around 20° Celsius. And it's the original Pentax battery, the one that came with the camera.

The battery seems to be ok, as it keeps up for a couple of hundred shots. My suspicion is that the camera might use it up, is that possible?

I've noticed that the K10d seems to be halfway switched on all the time, because the SD card r/w LED flashes after changing the card, even if the camera is switched off. Is that correct?
03-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
I've noticed that the K10d seems to be halfway switched on all the time, because the SD card r/w LED flashes after changing the card, even if the camera is switched off. Is that correct?
That is correct. This does not mean that it is technically "on" it simply means it is acknowledging that you have inserted a memory card. And that LED light drains such little power as it is...

Chances are the battery is defective. My one question is:

Is the battery grip attached to your camera? If you own one?
03-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the card access lamp should blink twice when a card is inserted - even if the camera is not switched on.

Rusty

03-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Quote
That is correct. This does not mean that it is technically "on" it simply means it is acknowledging that you have inserted a memory card. And that LED light drains such little power as it is...

Chances are the battery is defective. My one question is:

Is the battery grip attached to your camera? If you own one?
No battery grip attached, I don't own one yet.
03-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #9

Alright because occasionally that can throw off the battery meter. So my answer stands, defective battery. Which is odd because typically those are found in Kodaks. (Most returned to Best Buy)
03-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have one original D-LI50 and 2 NP-400 and never seen problem like that .
May I ask that your K10D bought new or used ? If used then may be the previous owner somehow shorten the life of the battery.
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #11

A. Two batteries are handy and batteries are relatively cheap. Get another battery. If it works properly then the problem is the first battery.

B. If the problem exists with two batteries then the odds are the battery isn't the problem and the solution is to repair the camera. I always try the most simple solution first.
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I have one original D-LI50 and 2 NP-400 and never seen problem like that .
May I ask that your K10D bought new or used ? If used then may be the previous owner somehow shorten the life of the battery.
The camera is brandnew. Battery life in general is ok, it keeps up for several hundred shots ...
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
The camera is brandnew. Battery life in general is ok, it keeps up for several hundred shots ...
my only battery disaster is when I leave it plugged in the computer after a download. The auto shut down never shuts down and by morning it's dead.

This is what I really didn't like about my *ist D. 'cause the batteries cost me $15 bucks every time this happened or some obscene amount, and I manage to do it regularly. the K10 has a rechargable battery so I just keep a spare or two around and have never had a battery go dead except when left plugged in.
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dumb question time

When you put your camera down at night, can you tell me exactly what you had done that day with the camera and when it was last charged?

The reason for asking is as follows.

On my K10D my experience is that the indicator will show fully charged up to the point that you have about 10 shots left, and then you rapidly show half charged and wind up dead.

In simple terms the battery indicator is really only a battery about to die indicator.

You might have been just about to show the battery was running out, and the dormant mode power consumption took it the rest of the way.
04-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Try leaving the battery out of camera over night and see what happens.