Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
the istDS is a usability improvement over the K-30? how so? Please explain more if you could, i'm intrigued.
Well, at least the K-30 felt like a step down for me when I was trying the K-30 and the K-5 when looking for a replacement. The lack of a top LCD screen mostly, and the lack of a Fn button (which I bemoan on my K-5 too). Also I didn't like the grip as much as I did on the istDs. Of course in some areas the K-30 is an improvement over the istDs, like having 2 instead of 1 dial, but dare I say... I have the impression the K-30 was meant as a more entry level camera than the istDs was meant to be.

10-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
that's interesting. i wonder how it'll feel going the other way, (k30 first then *ist) I do like the 2 control wheels, and so far haven't really needed the top LCD. the screen and OVF work fine for me.It seems though that it will prove to be a more then capable backup/ kids learning DSLR though. The quality of its pictures definitely doesn't scream 6MP.
10-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
that's interesting. i wonder how it'll feel going the other way, (k30 first then *ist) I do like the 2 control wheels, and so far haven't really needed the top LCD. the screen and OVF work fine for me.It seems though that it will prove to be a more then capable backup/ kids learning DSLR though. The quality of its pictures definitely doesn't scream 6MP.
I also wonder. I wasn't sure I'd need the second dial, but I knew I'd miss the screen. I think to me the screen is still more important, though I like having it. I guess once you get used to something you will miss it. But as long as you never had it...

The picture quality of the istDS was good, yeah. I shot interiors for clients with it and no one ever complained. The photos were also printed at bigger sizes, no problem (though if you got close...). Onlyreason I upgraded was cause the buttons started to die... To much rain and usage. Oh, and the dial had died quite a while ago... rain I suppose. I once participated in a photo competition where it rained badly and the camera got quite wet... A few months later the dial started to die.
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #19

My 12yo cannot keep her mitts off my K-30 so I am looking on eBay for a K-r or something along those lines. I am patient and have until mid December so hoping for a good price.

10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i just got it a couple days ago, haven't done any real shooting with it yet. soon, i hope.