Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Since they don't have FF body, they are focusing on the best Crop camera in the world such as K-7, 5, and 3. but problems is they do not give any expectations. They showed very few lenses. because of that, many users can't come to Pentax as Canon, Nickon, and Sony. Also there isn't any strong point of Pentax camera. Such as Nickon for Sport and Sony for innovation(mirrorless FF). Sony have just showed the first mirrorless FF. This give a lot of expectations already. Also they are already plan 15 lenses until 2015! What about Pentax? For several years, they showed only few lenses less then 5 lenses... That's so stupid. Pentax does not know what customers wanted. If this happen continually, Pentax will fall like Kodack and Contax did. Remaking to HD limit is kind of stupid too. Why don't they do anything faster? No more innovative things?

What do you mean they don't give any expectations? Very few new lenses don't mean users can't come to Pentax. Why don't you relax and concentrate on your techniques with what you have and worry about what the other brands are doing later? If you have really been around for a while I would think you would know how to spell Nikon and Kodak correctly.

Edited: Reading your post again, it just doesn't make much sense to me. Expectations or pre-announcements are not something I have noticed camera manufacturers like to do. If anything, I think they do it to get give their customers crowing about how great their brand is. I think Canon does that sometimes. An example non-essential to this topic is they announce it is possible to create a 120 megapixel camera and they announce a 200-400mm F/4 lens around two years ago. Where are these things?

I don't think remaking HD limiteds is stupid. It is the strength of the brand so make it even stronger. They are addressing the autofocus issues with the K-3. I've wanted phase detection autofocus for some time.

Last edited by traderdrew; 10-20-2013 at 05:17 PM.
10-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #77
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Just dawned on me why many people want FF. In thier legacy lens collections the fastest lenses were the old 'normal' lengths (50 and 55). On APS-C those frame rather restrictively, greatly increasing working distance. Lenses with 'normal' framing at a 'normal' working distance were all rather slower - or premium priced - see the difference of Takumar 35/3.5 and 35/2. And of course extreme wide angle was either not available in old legacy lenses or is now incredimbly expensive (e.g. 15/3.5 SMC Tak @ $1800 now). So would these people be a good market to chase as a business?
Partly, but I've said as much. Below that 24mm focal length that Pentax has nothing fast and FF for these wider angles allow for lower distortion and better overall image quality.

Hell, it seems that Pentax can't even make a fast 24.
10-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
A very strange rant by the OP. Per his PF profile, he is using a Pentax istDL. Maybe if he would upgrade to one of Pentax's more recent DSLRs, he would see the significant improvements that have been made. Give it a rest!
The *istDL is a great camera! My first DSLR was an *istDL, in fact I still have it. Takes great pictures.
10-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The *istDL is a great camera! My first DSLR was an *istDL, in fact I still have it. Takes great pictures.
My father still uses the *istD that was his first DSLR - having used Pentax film SLRs before that. He gets great photos; it's the photographer more than the gear.

10-20-2013, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #80

{First off, why do you seem so bitter about Pentax cameras and lenses? If you are not happy with them, sell your Pentax gear and move on. Seriously!}

Since they don't have FF body, they are focusing on the best Crop camera in the world such as K-7, 5, and 3.
Looks like they are succeeding too!

but problems is they do not give any expectations.
Are they supposed to? I thought it was the position of the consumer to have the expectations.

They showed very few lenses.
Pentax has produced many fine lenses over the years, and the aftermarket has also produced some very good glass for Pentax cameras.

because of that, many users can't come to Pentax as Canon, Nickon, and Sony.
Huh?

Also there isn't any strong point of Pentax camera.
Pentax has many "strong points". Pentax has been a leader and innovator in cameras for many years.

QuoteQuote:
In 1957, Asahi introduced the Pentax series, a 35mm SLR camera which was so well received that it influenced the design of 35 mm SLRs worldwide for years to come.

Film rewind crank, likewise a first for 35 mm SLRs.

Instant mirror return, unique to the Pentax and its immediate predecessor, the Asahiflex IIb.

Microprism focusing aids on the focus screen, unique to the Pentax camera.

Moreover, the Pentax placed controls in locations that would become standard on 35 mm SLRs from all manufacturers, such as the right-handed rapid wind lever, the bottom right mounted rewind release, and film speed reminder around the film rewind crank.

The photographic giants Canon and Nikon did not introduce their own SLR cameras until 1959 with the Canonflex and the F series respectively. By contrast, the Pentax series offered these features at a relatively low price, introducing many photographers to 35 mm SLR photography.
In 1975 Pentax introduced the K mount for lens mounting, replacing the M42 screw mount. All Pentax interchangeable lens cameras since have the same mount, and the K mount lenses can be mounted and used on all of them.

Literally hundreds of lenses are available for use on today's Pentax DSLR's.

Try that with a Canon or Nikon.

And Pentax is the only camera that offers fully weather sealed DSLR cameras.

Such as Nickon for Sport
What is "Nickon"? Is this some new camera make?

and Sony for innovation(mirrorless FF). Sony have just showed the first mirrorless FF.
Mirrorless is not DSLR. So there is no comparison.

This give a lot of expectations already.
Again, why would they "give" expectations? They manufacture and sell cameras, not expectations.

Also they are already plan 15 lenses until 2015!
So?

What about Pentax?
What about Pentax?

For several years, they showed only few lenses less then 5 lenses...
As I pointed out, with the number of available glass already available, there is no need to dump a bunch of unneeded gear on a market that already has lots of great gear to choose from.

That's so stupid.
Really?

Do you really feel the need to stoop so low as to call names?

Come on.

Pentax does not know what customers wanted.
I'm pretty sure that like any large company that manufactures a product to sell to consumers, Pentax spends an appropriate amount on research to determine the desires of their customers.

If this happen continually, Pentax will fall like Kodack and Contax did.
What is "Kodack"?

Remaking to HD limit is kind of stupid too.
There you go with name calling again.

Shame on you.

Why don't they do anything faster? No more innovative things?
All you need to do is read the spec sheet on the new camera, there are plenty of innovative things there.

You guys don't know the problem...
Problem?

I didn't know there was a problem.

I have 2 digital Pentax cameras, and a Ricoh film camera (that uses Pentax lenses).

Is that a problem?

Not in my book.

I'm good!

They faced many problems.
Surely you jest.

I know that they innovate good camera body but not lens.
Oh?

Come on.

I own more Pentax lenses than one person should be allowed to own (although there are other photographers who own many times more than I!), both older manual lenses and the newer ones designed for digital cameras. I also have a couple Sigma lenses, a Vivitar lens and a Russian Industar 61LZ 50mm f2.8 lens (M42 mount, and a really cool lens). All are very good lenses. In fact many Cannon and Nikon users adapt Pentax lenses to their cameras. I suspect it is because the lenses offered by Cannon and Nikon suck.

But I could be wrong.

They showed only few of them. You know what?
No, I don't know "What", but I saw the Who once. Great concert. Pete Townsend doing the "windmill" while playing his guitar is something no one else can do. Fantastic stuff.

They rock!

If K-5 and K-7 were innovative camera, then why people does not buy pentax rather nickon and cannon?
Well I have only ever owned Pentax gear.

I think the world has been brainwashed by the massive advertising that Canon and Nikon have embarked upon over the years.

Oh, and if the K-5 and K-7 were not "innovative" then how come they have weather sealing and Canon and Nikon do not?

Um, please enlighten me, what is a "nickon"?

This shows the real problem. I heard that they have problems about money and other things.
I have not heard of this "problems about money and 'other things'". Can you post links to the news stories that tell of these things?

Even Pentax have difference from Canon and Nikon, they don't know what customers wanted.
Um, well, they knew I wanted weather sealing.

Canon and Nikon missed that boat.

Releasing lenses is the best example.
Pentax has offered many lenses over the years, all very good lenses. So good in fact that Canon and Nikon users adapt them to their cameras.

Is there some reason why you don't get that?

No they don't. No renewal lenses at all.
What the heck is a "renewal" lens?

The pentax body have great quality but the lenses can not hold it.
Pentax glass is some of the best you can buy. I see Canon and Nikon cameras with Pentax lenses adapted to them all the time. Please tell me why this is if Pentax lenses are of such poor quality.

Also Pentax does not care about beginners. Lenses for beginners are not cheap at all.
Lemmesee here. A Pentax 50mm lens sells for about $180 (US), a Nikon 50mm lens goes for about $450 (US). You do the math.

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????
SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????

these people from Korea are very serious about the problem. You will see what are problems.
I have no idea what those people from Korea are talking about, because I cannot speak, read or write Korean. Not a single word. I can't even swear in Korean.

Furthermore I really don't care what they have to say. None of them appear to be experts, and if they truly were "serious" about this "problem" you say exists, they would present their information in a way where anyone who visits their web page could read what they have to say.

Must be some secret stuff.

These guys don't understand what are problems...
Again, I don't see any problem, other than the imagined problems some people dream up.

1. Not much of lenses for beginners:
We have addressed this.

Body is good but the lenses does.
Does what?

Few lenses, and expensive than other brands.
Again, we addressed this.

You think that pentax have lot of lenses?
I don't think, I know.

No. Most of them are old and released way before...
Way before?????

16-45, 17-70 are the example.
Are these lenses, or what?

2. No expectation:
Again, Pentax sells cameras, not expectations.

Pentax have Few lenses,
Please.

few renewal,
Is this a subscription?

and limited area of lenses.
Now you are repeating yourself.

Beginners will wonder why do we need to buy Pentax?
Again, we addressed this. Better quality gear for much less money that Canon or Nikon.

Or even that "Nickon" you keep talking about.

3. Competition: Samsung camera seem to have lot of problem to be fall down.
Wasn't Samsung just a Pentax with a different nameplate? Didn't they sell them about the same time as the K10D?

Lack of lenses and bad cameras.
OK.

Bad cameras! Go sit in the corner!

Then who is next?
Oh yes! Who's Next. Great album. Came out in 1971. I really liked "My Wife", fantastic song. Have you heard it? If not you should listen to it. On fact, here, I'll stick it in this post.

Canon and Nikon still have lot of users,
Again, marketing budgets the size of the US national debt can brainwash anyone into thinking they need something that costs too much. It's all about the name on the thing.

Cadillac

Ferrari

Gucci

Ray Ban

Nikon

Canon

Olympus and Panasonic are rising base on 4/3 camera's popularity, Sony start to increase themself base on Mirrorless FF and other innovative things,
Real nice but not DSLR's. And I would not ever buy a Panasonic camera. Or an Olympus (are they still in business? Never hear of them anymore).

Fuji have it's own design and expect to have FF and other.
And "other"? Other what?

So what about Pentax?
What about Pentax?

They do make best camera in the world but Pentax is the small company.
I thought you were mad at Pentax and wanted to kick them?

Can't do something like canon and nikon does...
No they cannot. Why should they? Then they would be just like Canon and Nikon.

Ugh!

Pentax Seriously need to find the solution.
Solution?

Don't need it anymore. Digital is neat that way. Pull the memory card out of the slot, slip it into the computer, open the files in the software of your choosing, edit, and print.

Simple.

No solutions needed!

4. SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ???? translate it by google and read it.
Why should I? I really do not care what a bunch of wannabe "experts" in a country I have never been to have to say.

What do they know anyway?

Probably been brainwashed by the corporate media blitz.

You will see what Pentax have problem...
Again with the "problem".

Pentax needs FF?
Sure. Why not. But I ain't holding my breath buddy.

Nonsense for now.
You said it!

Even they make best FF,
Soon, maybe.

the lack of lenses will be highest disadvantage.
Again, there is no lack of lenses. The only lack of lenses is the lack imposed by the short sided viewpoint of someone who tells themselves there are no lenses.

Using Films lens?
Absolutely! Some of the best glass produced was for film cameras. Ask any of the Canon or Nikon users who have adapted an older Pentax film lens to their cameras.

It's only about Pentaxian.
Oh, its about so much more than just Pentaxian. Trust me.

What about other pro photographers?
What about them?

Do they want to buy Pentax FF
Maybe yes, maybe no. Don't know, don't care.

which has few lenses?
Where do you get this idea that there are so few lenses? When the time comes that Pentax releases a FF DSLR, I have a bunch of lenses that will be perfect for it.

I'm good to go brother!

That's why most of them buy Canon and Nikon.
No that is not.

I said it already.

Marketing is why so many people think they need the Ferrari Maserati Gucci Ray Ban Nike Lexus Canon Nikon.

Let me talk about the price of lenses. beginner's lenses which are 35 f2.0, 50.4 are expensive than other brands.
"35 f2.0, 50.4"? What the hell is that?

Must be expensive, it certainly is rare, I searched the web all over and cannot find one.

Also Only 2 lenses for cheap(but it's not cheap).
Huh?

Full frame important.
If you cannot wait, sell your gear and move on.

setups but rounded plate
What is "rounded plate"?

and Panasonic users to take their pictures do you like better.
I'm beginning to think that English is not your first language. I apologize if this gets in the way of our communication here.

Pentax biggest problem for Pentax users do not instill a score of expectations of other users of a-Phone's sense that not at all tempted.
You know, I was a moderator on another forum for several years, and the structure of this sentence is exactly like the kind of sentence structure that spammers and trollers used. I learned that it is because they do not speak English, and merely cut and paste bits and pieces from other web pages to spread their spam.

No offense, just an observation.

This means, if not a full-frame "Our king will end plate from Pentax crop," he professed, and just pull the lenses give a roadmap for crop and future vision to open, I think. lenses 24mm 35mm equivalent corresponding to the single just pull the lenses to give even more to add professional grade star lens and flash, if improved, too bad crop else.
And more observation. This is gibberish, and means nothing.

Pentax now, just look at all the users not to expect him to give munjep is planted.
"munjep"?

What the hell is "munjep"?

Something smells here!

we may develop a full frame. The possibilities are open and in the development of these nuances, but spitting .. .. Then DA lens for crop what do you want to collect a lot of confusion and user expectations eopeuni they are old Pentax User Lost .... Plus k-5 or k-3 Oh, great, but the third-party or user-Phone with getting a Pentax ... the temptation to feel like there is little creative. Nikon or Canon as strong as sports figures or good (in fact, but it can not agree) like Sony stop new challenges a7 but eventually produces a mirror-less like a full-frame or ... the best advantage, but almost certainly not gonna tell'm sad .... this frivolous chancel of the mirrorless market has entered the red ocean at this point, not even the advantage of Pentax So we're coming down to the lower third-party users of the Pentax excuses. eventually leaving existing users continue to share .... a vicious cycle of declining revenues robbed repeatedly. cameras
I really don't get what all this mumbo-jumbo is all about.

Seriously!

I never trolled but the truth.
The truth will set you free.

Why are you trying to avoid the problem that PENTAX have faced?
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
If you have really been around for a while I would think you would know how to spell Nikon and Kodak correctly.
I got a funny feeling about this one Drew.

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I'm sure Adam has a lot of patience.
Without a doubt!
10-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
To the OP : very friendly advice : please, switch brand !

You complain again and again, in differents threads Pentax has no FF, Pentax has no new lenses, Pentax has not this or that. Great ! Keep focusing on what this brand don't have, go in the Canikon land with their 1.599$ FF body and their 1.000$ 24-105/4, to see how much all those brand have something we don't have, and enjoy it !

If Pentax is not feeted to you, your need, your style, use the market place to sell your gear and move on.

If Pentax answer your need, stick with it, but stop complaining and whinning about things that will never happen !

Now, on the argument : The K3 answer many of the critics against the k5 series. Pentax don't have a lot of tele-zoom and don't renew their lens line-up every year because it doesn't have 40% of the market, but only 5%, and on those 5% maybe 1% (let's be generous !) buy other lenses than the basic two kit lenses. There is just not enought buyer to justify the renewal of all lenses every year, and what's the point of producing lenses that won't sell enough to be profitable for the company ? there is none.

Conclusion : stop whining and change brand, or stay but stop complaining about what is not Pentax. (Yeah, i'm tired of this kind of thread)
You really make me mad.

Pentax brands does not follow what all brands doing. Which is what customers needed. Do not think that is enough. There are other countries where many Pentaxians live. They really complain that pentax have good camera but few lenses. You see, they make a new lenses really slow than other brands.
10-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #82
Pentaxian

You really make me mad.

Pentax brands does not follow what all brands doing. Which is what customers needed. Do not think that is enough. There are other countries where many Pentaxians live. They really complain that pentax have good camera but few lenses. You see, they make a new lenses really slow than other brands.
We all get frustrated with the rate of progress, from time to time, but it's out of our hands. Those making decisions about new bodies, new formats and new lenses have to do so on the basis of hard evidence, and the small existing user base has to be built on in a steady, planned fashion to achieve the goals that Ricoh has set for the brand. As I and others have said, you can take the Sony approach and throw new models out every month or two, and still be losing money in spite of all the positive publicity generated in Forums like these, which brings in a nice warm feeling but which isn't necessarily matched by nett income.

If you want Ricoh to take notice, then generate facts and figures. Throwing light on a situation helps to change it for the better: throwing heat around is only effective if you want to destroy something. That's the difference between a torch and a flamethrower.
10-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have no idea what those people from Korea are talking about, because I cannot speak, read or write Korean. Not a single word. I can't even swear in Korean.

Furthermore I really don't care what they have to say. None of them appear to be experts, and if they truly were "serious" about this "problem" you say exists, they would present their information in a way where anyone who visits their web page could read what they have to say.

Must be some secret stuff.
That is very racist and ignorant. Why would Koreans want to talk in English? Also, not everyone can read English. And, btw., if we had to read and write in the language that the majority of the people in this world understand, you'd have to write in Chinese. Good luck.

QuoteQuote:
Wasn't Samsung just a Pentax with a different nameplate? Didn't they sell them about the same time as the K10D?
Samsung has ended that partnership long ago and is doing their own mirrorless cameras these days.

QuoteQuote:
Real nice but not DSLR's. And I would not ever buy a Panasonic camera. Or an Olympus (are they still in business? Never hear of them anymore).
You are joking, right? Olympus is much more in business than Pentax. The OM-D cameras are in quite some demand, together with the Fuji X series. Seen pros who used to have full frame DSLRs switch to either an OM-D or a Fuji, or at least supplement their DSLR.

And to those needing thousands of lenses... what for? Are you a photographer or a collector? What are you going to do with so many lenses? Go out and shoot for christs sake... All the lenses that I'd want I can get from Pentax, Tamron or Sigma (though I really wish the DA 50 1.8 has proper markings on the lens... I mean ink isn't THAT expensive, and perhaps a metal mount).

10-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #84
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That is very racist and ignorant. Why would Koreans want to talk in English? Also, not everyone can read English. And, btw., if we had to read and write in the language that the majority of the people in this world understand, you'd have to write in Chinese. Good luck.

Samsung has ended that partnership long ago and is doing their own mirrorless cameras these days.

You are joking, right? Olympus is much more in business than Pentax. The OM-D cameras are in quite some demand, together with the Fuji X series. Seen pros who used to have full frame DSLRs switch to either an OM-D or a Fuji, or at least supplement their DSLR.

And to those needing thousands of lenses... what for? Are you a photographer or a collector? What are you going to do with so many lenses? Go out and shoot for christs sake... All the lenses that I'd want I can get from Pentax, Tamron or Sigma (though I really wish the DA 50 1.8 has proper markings on the lens... I mean ink isn't THAT expensive, and perhaps a metal mount).
You're overreacting. It's not racist, nor ignorant, in the least. It's a strong accusation to make against someone, and in my country, can and has been prosecuted many times, despite being online.

As far as speaking in English, it's an international arena. Fortunately, or unfortunately for some, English is the international language. It's the international language of commerce, politics, science, research, medicine, and so on.

And there is no "Chinese", as it's a collection of languages and it's regionally isolated. English has even been used to unify countries (ie: India, since they can't still agree on using Hindi universally).

But this is all another topic for another forum. I'm quite offended at the "racist" accusation you've made and I hope the mods will delete your reply.
10-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
You're overreacting. It's not racist, nor ignorant, in the least. It's a strong accusation to make against someone, and in my country, can and has been prosecuted many times, despite being online.

As far as speaking in English, it's an international arena. Fortunately, or unfortunately for some, English is the international language. It's the international language of commerce, politics, science, research, medicine, and so on.

And there is no "Chinese", as it's a collection of languages and it's regionally isolated. English has even been used to unify countries (ie: India, since they can't still agree on using Hindi universally).

But this is all another topic for another forum. I'm quite offended at the "racist" accusation you've made and I hope the mods will delete your reply.
This thread just got stupid in a hurry. It was certainly disrespectful to infer that a Korean site, to be taken seriously, would have to provide information in English.
It is also disrespectful the way many in this thread has picked on an "English as a Second Language" poster who has issues with certain spellings. If it's not racism it certainly seems close.

And then to say this is prosecutable in Germany.....I went to the German Federal Court site to see if this were true, but they can't be taken seriously because "We regret not to be able to present to you the decisions of the Federal Court of Justice in English language." If the German Federal Court wanted to be taken serious, by the parent posters logic, they would have to post in English.

As for the Chinese written language, there is one. Verbally, there are many dialects, but written, that is not the case.
10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #86
Pentaxian

You really make me mad.

What's the point of constantly making new lenses with no improvements? Further gouge money from customers? In this respect I am glad Pentax do not follow other brands. When you got something right the first time why change it? Yes the lineup isn't as big, but it aslo doesn't need to be. We do not need duplicate versions with image stabilization and then again version for APS-C and FF. Compare how many image stabilized, APS-C lenses canikon have to our range and then you will have a more accurate assessment.
10-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
This thread just got stupid in a hurry. It was certainly disrespectful to infer that a Korean site, to be taken seriously, would have to provide information in English.
It is also disrespectful the way many in this thread has picked on an "English as a Second Language" poster who has issues with certain spellings. If it's not racism it certainly seems close.

And then to say this is prosecutable in Germany.....I went to the German Federal Court site to see if this were true, but they can't be taken seriously because "We regret not to be able to present to you the decisions of the Federal Court of Justice in English language." If the German Federal Court wanted to be taken serious, by the parent posters logic, they would have to post in English.

As for the Chinese written language, there is one. Verbally, there are many dialects, but written, that is not the case.
Incorrect. That's because those are of domestic laws and situations. The ones that extend to outside are translated to English. Switzerland is the same, despite having four official languages, much of the fact that they are an international country is because of their use of English.

Regardless, that type of nonsense doesn't belong here.

Over cameras, no less. these things are toys for most of the people here. Gizmos leads to this type of behavior, not actual problems in the world.
10-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I just wish that Adam can implement new a forum policy that monitors a member every time he uses the words "full frame" in his posts.

Five strikes and an IP ban should be automatic.

Unfortunately, I fear that if we do this, this place will just be full of informative threads, helpful members, nice pictures and will be completely, utterly boring. We don't want that, do we?
10-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #89
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this thread has achieved its purpose. Move along now...
Closed Thread