Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
rlatjsrud

I really want to kick Pentax...

Since they don't have FF body, they are focusing on the best Crop camera in the world such as K-7, 5, and 3. but problems is they do not give any expectations. They showed very few lenses. because of that, many users can't come to Pentax as Canon, Nickon, and Sony. Also there isn't any strong point of Pentax camera. Such as Nickon for Sport and Sony for innovation(mirrorless FF). Sony have just showed the first mirrorless FF. This give a lot of expectations already. Also they are already plan 15 lenses until 2015! What about Pentax? For several years, they showed only few lenses less then 5 lenses... That's so stupid. Pentax does not know what customers wanted. If this happen continually, Pentax will fall like Kodack and Contax did. Remaking to HD limit is kind of stupid too. Why don't they do anything faster? No more innovative things?

10-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Since they don't have FF body, they are focusing on the best Crop camera in the world such as K-7, 5, and 3. but problems is they do not give any expectations. They showed very few lenses. because of that, many users can't come to Pentax as Canon, Nickon, and Sony. Also there isn't any strong point of Pentax camera. Such as Nickon for Sport and Sony for innovation(mirrorless FF). Sony have just showed the first mirrorless FF. This give a lot of expectations already. Also they are already plan 15 lenses until 2015! What about Pentax? For several years, they showed only few lenses less then 5 lenses... That's so stupid. Pentax does not know what customers wanted. If this happen continually, Pentax will fall like Kodack and Contax did. Remaking to HD limit is kind of stupid too. Why don't they do anything faster? No more innovative things?
How is K-3 not innovative? It is the only camera that does what it does right now, until 7Dii and D400 comes out.

Talking about innovation, Pentax has no capital like Canikon did. Keeping that in mind, what they've come up with in recent years are actually impressive (DA 15, K-3, DA 60-250, O-GPS1). Now that they're backed by Ricoh we might start see things shaking up even more. I truly wish K-3 alleviates all our AF concerns, since that's Pentax's last true achilles heel.

Sony planned so many lenses because they can't afford not to. Their lineup is nowhere near complete.

Pentax OTOH has the most complete APSC lineup in the whole industry.

Out of curiosity what do you think is missing from the Pentax lineup? Imho we're only missing an update to the DA* SDM lenses, and that's it. We also have the screwdrive hack these days, so it's not even high priority anymore.

You might argue that we're missing a high quality, wide aperture normal that's reasonably priced, but Sigma already has that covered. Aaaaand Canikon dont have one either! The AFS 35/1.4 and Canon 35/1.4 are expensive, moreso than FA 31.

And also FF, but that's been in "the works" since forever, no need to hold our breaths, it will come when it comes.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-18-2013 at 06:03 AM.
10-18-2013, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax will fall like Kodack and Contax did.
Good grief! Please............... no more "Pentax is doomed threads". Enough already [facepalm]
10-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I can think of would be to apply the motorization from the 18-135 to the DA* series.

We now have a long consumer weathersealed zoom to supplement the 18-135. They're advertising a bit - and featuring the weathersealing.

I think the lens lineup is more compelling than the Canikon lineup - the range of Pentax primes is just better. No one is making good cheap lenses - it's an oxymoron.

The K3 is the camera we've wanted to see in forever - it's going to raise the bar as long as the improved AF is a major improvement and at parity with the C/N offerings. I'm looking forward to the new body, with wireless tethering etc. C/N seem to live on making numerous versions of the same low-to-mid ranged cameras and calling them NEW. People then compare the truly Pro bodies to the other manufacturer's flagships - without making any reference of price.

I can't buy a K3 yet, I won't be on the pre-order. I'm going to start planning to buy one next year though, if it lives up to expectations.

10-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thread is also depressing.
10-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

0/10.
Nice try.
10-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This thread is also depressing.
Pentaxforums is depressing

10-18-2013, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sick of these sort of threads as well. If you want a bloody FF camera go somewhere else. Pentax does landscape and out door photography very well. The K-mount provides access to a very wide lens selection and even the the new K3 is cheap when compared to the higher end offerings of the bid boys. If that isn't enough, well go somewhere else. In fact, just go out and take pictures.
10-18-2013, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I for one have a very positive feeling looking at threads like this. If people are angry with Pentax (or any other camera company, for that matter), then probably they don't have more serious reasons to be angry. Which is a good thing.

Last edited by causey; 10-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
10-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #10

I have not been on these forums for a very long time, but I am surprised at the continual chanting for a full frame camera--thread after thread on the same issue. I have no comment one way or the other on that matter, but I just cannot understand why people are so focused on this topic more than any other matter. When there was a poll not too long ago on whether one would purchase a full frame camera, I was a bit surprised by the relative low number of votes by people indicating that they would purchase such a camera. This did not correspond to the prolific number of threads and posts on the subject. Is this the case of a very vocal minority?
10-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I have not been on these forums for a very long time, but I am surprised at the continual chanting for a full frame camera--thread after thread on the same issue. I have no comment one way or the other on that matter, but I just cannot understand why people are so focused on this topic more than any other matter. When there was a poll not too long ago on whether one would purchase a full frame camera, I was a bit surprised by the relative low number of votes by people indicating that they would purchase such a camera. This did not correspond to the prolific number of threads and posts on the subject. Is this the case of a very vocal minority?
Full frame has its advantages and pentax doesnt have one, so they complain about it.

People complain about everything whenever they can, that's all
10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

Indeed that is what I thought right now, will all the "full-frame-whiners" actually buy a FF Pentax when it will be released?
Pentax 2008 was acquired by Hoya, then 2011 sold to Ricoh - we all know that.
For a company it takes time to develop a product and change of ownership goes often together with an intermission - the new owner may have other preferences and plans.
I am sure that a Pentax Full-Frame (with 24Mp Sony Sensor?) will be released 2014.
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very strange rant by the OP. Per his PF profile, he is using a Pentax istDL. Maybe if he would upgrade to one of Pentax's more recent DSLRs,
he would see the significant improvements that have been made. Give it a rest!
10-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I have not been on these forums for a very long time, but I am surprised at the continual chanting for a full frame camera--thread after thread on the same issue. I have no comment one way or the other on that matter, but I just cannot understand why people are so focused on this topic more than any other matter.

Quite a few of the FF hopeful have a love-hate relationship with Pentax. They love Pentax cameras and lenses, and the ability to use old K glass, so it's hard for them to jump ship. But they need, or think they need, a FF camera, hence the animosity towards the same Pentax. Plus, many of them have invested in FA ltd's, etc.
10-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie_Rain Quote
will all the "full-frame-whiners" actually buy a FF Pentax when it will be released?
I will once one is released, but I have not been inclined to 'whine' about a new one, since I have so many older FF Pentaxs.
In the meantime, I will continue to shoot with one of my existing Pentax FF's. Love that Ektar 100, great sensor

Last edited by Moe49; 10-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Closed Thread