Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hi gcap,

I just had this struggle a few days ago. I already had the K100d and was ready to upgrade and use the K100 as a backup. I ended up buying the K10D at Roberts New & Used Digital and Film Cameras but I actually went to the store to buy it. They have the body for $599 and the kit for $699, but I am sure that quantities are getting limited. As of yesterday, they were still in stock.

The AA batteries on my K100 were amazing. I used lithium Energizer batteries and loved them. I was a little bit leary about the proprietary battery on the K10D, but haven't had to charge it in a week!

I LOVE the dual dials on the K10D
I love the feel of the K10D in my hand.

I am pretty sure the K100D and the K200D have the same measurements, so if you have felt the K100, then you will know what the K200D feels like.

And the Tav is where you pick the aperture and shutter and let the camera pick your ISO.

I absolutely love my K10D, but I am sure you wil be happy with either one you decide on.

03-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #17

I would get the 200d. I went through the same reasonings, and the "not too hot" high iso performance of the 10d , and the numerous k10d owners who had to send the camera in for repairs was the clincher. Lot's of good looking, high iso shots, with the k200d on dpreview forums.
03-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi Craig, you can get the Minolta NP-400 batteriy for $10 each at B&H. I bought 2, since then, I never have to wait for the battery to be recharged.
They get drained faster than the D-LI50 but at $10 ea. they're really a bargain.
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As long as your doing research, go to Pentax Imaging, and download the manuals for both cameras and compare. As for used, check here there were some good buys and slightly used K10's now that everyone wants a k20.

03-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
1) Slightly smaller body. I held both the K10D and the K100D and if I was 100% honest with myself the K100 fit a little better in my hand.
I think this is a good thing, as I have smaller hands. It's also significantly lighter than the K10D, and won't break your back if you plan to invest in some lenses.

QuoteQuote:
2) slightly larger LCD Screen
I don't much care for large LCDs.

QuoteQuote:
3) AA batteries.... I have NO IDEA if this is a plus or a minus. I currently use a Canon S3IS and LOVE that I can change the batteries when needed... but will an SLR just chew through them?
You try buying a D-LI50 when on a trip and you run out of batteries. Keep a pair of spare lithium batteries in your backpack. They last for well over 1000 shots.

QuoteQuote:
3) The fact that is a newer generation would make me think that there is a reasonable chance that improvements in IQ over the K10D were made....
The SR is also better, you get improved JPEG processing and other goodies.

QuoteQuote:
4) Comes with the newer kit lens (however I'm not sure about this anymore, cant get a solid answer)
Yes it does. But the old kit lens is nothing to sneeze at.

However there are some problems too:

QuoteQuote:
1) only one thumb dial. I dont think this will be a huge problem, but when in manual mode it seems that 2 would be helpful
I don't find this bothersome at all. You don't change shutter speed and aperture on a manual camera at the same time, even if theoretically you could. Just press the very ergonomically placed Av button and move the dial. You're all set.

QuoteQuote:
2) Lack of certain modes... I have read so much at this point I cant even remember what they are.
I think the K200D is only missing either the Sv or TAv. Either way, not something you couldn't live without.

QuoteQuote:
3) smaller, pentamirror viewfinder. I have the S3IS now which has the LCD viewfinder so ANY viewfinder is an improvement... How much of a big deal is the pentaprisim of the K10D
I agree with you on this one, however the viewfinder is significantly better than the competition. (tried K100D and a D80 at the same time, and the differences were not very noticeable

QuoteQuote:
4) AA batteries... see comment above... I have no idea if this is good or bad
I say it is a good idea. And you can also get the vertical grip for even more juice.

QuoteQuote:
5) the general sense that this is a "beginner's camera". Will I not be able to grow with this?
So far the only slight inconveniences I found with my K100D (which is quite similar to the K200D) is the lack of buttons. I'm a bit of a gadget geek, and having one-touch controls for critical settings would be quite nice. (AE Metering, AF mode, focus point selection etc.). At first I thought I wouldn't need to change them too much, but experience has taught me otherwise.

You decide what you want to go for. Either way, you won't be disappointed.
03-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
I ended up buying the K10D at Roberts New & Used Digital and Film Cameras but I actually went to the store to buy it. They have the body for $599 and the kit for $699, but I am sure that quantities are getting limited. As of yesterday, they were still in stock.
$599 is a very good price. I bought mine on Mar 6 from B&H. They charged me $649 for the K10D body.
03-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #22

If you're still looking, I bought mine on Easter from Abe's of Maine. The kit was $715, but it has since gone up a whopping two dollars. Aside from the requisite accessories upsell, it was pleasant. And they were open on Easter.

Their website shows that it's still available:

Pentax K10D 10.2 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera Kit with Pentax Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens

I was looking at it for weeks in advance, and watched it drop out of stock at B&H, and, amazingly, shoot up in price by $50 at Adorama.

I chose the 10 over the 200 for the more pro-orientedness. Dual control dials, etc.

Last edited by joefru; 03-31-2008 at 09:43 AM.
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #23

Original Poster
How many actuations is too many

Well, I am getting an intriguing offer for a used K10D (I'm now leaning that way again). The camera seems in good condition and has some extras that are offered at an attractive price. However, the camera has 17,000 actuations.... Is that a lot? I really have no idea...

04-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #24

You have to take a warranty into account also. A new camera gets you a year of basically no worries. 17000 shots is getting up there for a newer camera. Why spend $600-$800 and have to sweat it out ? Ther are new k200d's available with the new 18-55 lens for about $715 shipped.