Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
That was my exact problem - focusing with a 300mm f5.6 mirror and the stock screen was very difficult and with my mirror lens the viewfinder phase detect focus assist did not work. I tried a viewfinder magnifier, this was a bit of an improvement but was difficult to use when wearing glasses. Changing to the Canon EE-S screen solved the problem completely.
OK, thanks. Going back to my previous question - do you know if the focussing screen I linked above is a modified Canon S screen?

10-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
OK, thanks. Going back to my previous question - do you know if the focussing screen I linked above is a modified Canon S screen?
No, the focusingscreen.com have the cut down EE-S screen is listed as 'S' type.
10-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
No, the focusingscreen.com have the cut down EE-S screen is listed as 'S' type.
OK, thanks. It would be great to improve the ability to focus manually!
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Beware of Focus Indicator!

I know several posters have referred to use of the focus indicator to confirm correct focus, but I would recommend you don't go this route. I have found (on my K-m) that it's completely unreliable: in fact, with my Tak (Bayonet) 135, if you use the focus indicator, you end up front-focusing by about 10% of the subject distance. Other lenses all behave differently: 28mm lenses all give a very sloppy indication, which is obviously of no use; best results are with 50mm lenses, for some reason.

Since catch-in focus will make use of the same mechanism, I would rule this out too, or maybe confine it to use with 50mm lenses.

10-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
OK, thanks. It would be great to improve the ability to focus manually!
The drawback of the EE-S screen is that it is darker than the stock screen - I find that a +2/3 EV exposure compensation is needed. In practice one gets quickly used to that. It does really make a difference with all manual focus lenses, not just the fast ones. It is not cheap but it comes with a nice installation kit including shims. A worthwhile investment as it makes all those great cheap eBay bargain old lenses useable

Anything else just leads to endless frustration - I've been there, done it.
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to update this. I bought the full selection from CR Kennedy (Pentax Australia) but haven't yet tried them. Cost about $30 including post. I'll confirm price later when my computer is on.