Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the K-7 normally have a focussing screen shim?

As the title asks, does it?

My secondhand K-7 doesn't and, when using manual focus lenses, the focus is well off.

The problem is, of course, where does one start with shims?

I'm reluctant to pull the screen from my K-5 to check it.

10-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi.
Nope. It doesn't.

Things I can think of to check:
Tried the dioptre adjustment?
Is the screen installed back to front?- maybe previous owner installed a screen and then replaced the original before selling.
If you manual focus holding down the shutter button half way, do the red indicators show correct focus???
10-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

See picture for correct orientation. You should just be able to see the small plastic tab on the side nearest the red dot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Have you tried catch-in focus to get an idea of the difference between what the camera thinks is correct and how it looks in the viewfinder?

Actually, looking at this makes me more curious about trying a different focussing screen.

Last edited by RobG; 10-19-2013 at 01:05 AM.
10-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You can see that I have the Pentax architectural grid focus screen installed. (PENTAX ML-60 AF Divided Matte) The nice thing about buying this is that you get the little box and special backwards tweezers to replace screens. Also, wonky horizons are a thing of the past.
10-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you think there may be the wrong screen installed: open the little trap door - which you do by pushing the silver tab in the top middle. You can check the focus screen is original pentax as it will have M-60 or ML60 or whatever written on the tab. Might need glasses to see this... Try to be careful and don't scratch anything.... don't do this unless you have to and be careful the screen doesn't pop out like a piece of toast.
The fiddliness of this area is an argument in favour of mirrorless...
10-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. What brought this to my attention was my fitting a split screen to use with manual lenses. I hadn't noticed any problems with the OEM screen but then, I hadn't been using it with manual lenses.

I just checked and I have the screen in correctly.

I use the dioptre adjustment a lot as I have to change it when I flip from left eye to right eye - I'm long-sighted in the left, short-sighted in the right. Oddly enough, when I put the camera to the left eye, it is naturally level. When I lift it to the right eye, the horizon is always wonky.

I'll double check tomorrow to see if the red indicators show up and when.

This image looked perfectly focussed in the viewfinder.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, the K7 does use a shim and it is the same one as the K5. If your missing it that is the problem. Pentax USA did sell a complete kit of different sizes, as thats where I got mine but I don't remember which size I used as the final one.

David
10-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Rachel At KatzEye focussing screens stocks them I know.
10-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like .35mm is the stock size for the K5 and if I remember correctly my K7 came with that also, but it was NOT correct and needed a thicker one.
David
10-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple screen shots from k7 service parts manual, courtesy of Pentax hacks.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
10-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, excellent stuff.

My K-7 was second hand when bought and there were scratches around the clip so I assume the screen had been changed back and forth. The clip isn't very secure. I once dropped the camera a short distance onto the carpeted floor when the strap came off and the screen came unclipped.
10-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where's the head bang emoticon?

It looks like the problem is the lens - or me. I haven't worked out what the problem is yet. The lens is the Bayonet Takumar 28mm f2.8 Takumar 28mm F2.8 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I had been taking shots with the aperture set to f8 expecting it to be a reasonable compromise (based on my old film days!).

Images taken with an old F 35-105 f4-5.6 in manual mode are quite sharp. The same objects with the 28mm are noticeably soft. Through the view finder the objects seem to be sharply in focus. The camera beeps and flashes the red light, the split screen aligns, so I expected sharp(ish) images.

More experimentation required. I'll try the SMC Pentax 100mm F4 Macro next. We know it is a sharp lens.

Having said all that, I don't know why I'm bothering as I have a modern AF Sigma 30mm f1.4 - apart from the fact the lens is very compact and as a unit the camera/lens combo is small.
10-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Having said all that, I don't know why I'm bothering as I have a modern AF Sigma 30mm f1.4 - apart from the fact the lens is very compact and as a unit the camera/lens combo is small.
I would use any modern technology to help me in my shooting and if it failed, then blame it on modern electrons...
10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote

I would use any modern technology to help me in my shooting and if it failed, then blame it on modern electrons...
Ahh, that's the problem. I studied electronics when electrons were still new.