Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #1

From K-r to ... (?)

I would like to upgrade my DSLR, but I really don't know what to buy.

I'm not a good photographer and like to take photo at the concerts and soccer games.For that reason I don't know if is better to jump directly to much more expensive K3 or the good K5IIs is enough for me. May I have some suggestion?

Thank you

10-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

i went from a k-r to a k5, it is such an upgrade. the k-5 and variants are amazing and outdo the skills of most. that said if u have the cash the new k-3 looks amazing. but I imagine a k-5 would be a great deal and would do you just fine for years. the new wb feature sensitive AF points and tracking of the k-3 could help with concert lighting and sports but it might be more camera than you need at the moment especially considering the price.
10-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on your skills and budget. The K-30 and K-50 are similar to the K-r, but offer better AF, low light performance, focus peaking, better video..
The K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, and K-3 are the top-tier, which have more pro features. Now, the K-5 and K-30 in terms of just image quality, won't be significantly different. But in terms of features and handling, they are quite different. In terms of IQ, the K-5 and K-30 (and K-01) should produce much better images than the K-r, because of the newer sensor. Especially at high ISO, above 400.
Going straight for the newest K-3 would be the biggest jump, but could also be most worthwhile. You will need to learn quite a bit new stuff, how to handle it and what features it has. Of course, the K-3 can last you many years, you wont feel the need to upgrade anytime soon if you buy it.
Maybe its best if you can get to a store and try some of these cameras hands on.

Edit: My first Pentax DSLR was the K-r and I upgraded to K-01 some time ago. I dont feel the need to upgrade to the K-5 series. Maybe the K-3 if the hands on reviews are really stellar, but probably not. The K-r gives me enough speed, and the K-01 gives me the IQ and fun factor. I will only upgrade if I feel the cameras dont let me get the images I want and the newer ones would. Or if my cameras stopped working, of course. Keep in mind, just because a new camera is better, doesnt mean yours got worse. Its still as good as it was when it came out! Unless it was damaged, of course. In the mean time, I would rather invest in lenses. They affect the IQ the most, and they can be carried from one camera to the next. They also tend to keep their value for a pretty long time, at least the good ones, so you can always sell them off for minimal loss.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-19-2013 at 07:49 AM.
10-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
i went from a k-r to a k5, it is such an upgrade. the k-5 and variants are amazing and outdo the skills of most. that said if u have the cash the new k-3 looks amazing. but I imagine a k-5 would be a great deal and would do you just fine for years. the new wb feature sensitive AF points and tracking of the k-3 could help with concert lighting and sports but it might be more camera than you need at the moment especially considering the price.
Agree. I went from k-r to k-5.. Wow what a difference. So many better features- Love it so much. Reg K-5 are a deal right now but k-5 ii/iis are good also. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. Jumping to k-3 would be huge and may not be warranted. K-5s or k-3 are likely to exceed your experience being pro bodies. Plenty of room to grow into. If you have to money to spend.. Hey then go for the k-3!

10-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have never owned a K-r, but am a very happy K-5 owner. I'd say that if you want to upgrade right now, a K-5ii (or K-30) would give the most bang for the buck. The K-3 is probably better in most ways, but we don't really know by how much yet, and it will definitely cost more. Of course, if you can wait a few months the K-3 might drop somewhat in price. Or maybe you'll have to wait a few months more - the starting price for a K-3 is already lower than what the K-5 started at.

And you'll definitely notice the difference going from a K-r to a K-5ii or K-30/50!
10-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you ... probably now I will buy the K-5 IIs and in the next future a quicker lens for sports (without buying Canikon ), as the K-5 is good enough at the high ISO.
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Depend on your need I think first came good lens and later the body.
10-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
Depend on your need I think first came good lens and later the body.
I have a DA 17-70 f 4.0, DA 50-135 f2.8, DA 55-300: the first two are good lens but a little to slowly for sports and I think that with the K3 the speed can't improve to much.

10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Nenix Quote
I would like to upgrade my DSLR, but I really don't know what to buy.

I'm not a good photographer

- If you're not a good photographer then it makes no sense to spend more money on another camera.

- The K-r is a perfectly good camera for someone who still needs to improve on their photography skills.

- A more expensive camera won't compensate for a lack of understanding on being a good photographer.
10-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
- If you're not a good photographer then it makes no sense to spend more money on another camera.

- The K-r is a perfectly good camera for someone who still needs to improve on their photography skills.

- A more expensive camera won't compensate for a lack of understanding on being a good photographer.
Ok, I'm not a very good photographer, I'm just a not bad photographer ...
10-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nenix Quote
Ok, I'm not a very good photographer, I'm just a not bad photographer ...
The K-5 etc will give you a lot of room to grow and has a lot of benefits over the K-r. It can help you become a better photographer imho, as it did for me with more manual controls, quiet shutter, bigger VF, improved AF and better overall performance in every way. It is a bit larger and weighs more, those are the only tradeoffs.

Good luck!