Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D aperture issue

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and a new purchaser of a K20D. I've had the camera for 2 weeks now and have only had limited time to shoot with it. This weekend I took it outside and immediately noticed a problem. Every shot was horribly overexposed unless I set the aperture wide open on my DA* 16-50mm. When I attached the manual lenses everything was fine so I assumed this was an issue with the new lense, until I noticed that even when I set the aperture to f22 on my manual lenses I had no depth of field. Through a little more investigation I found that the camera is not operating the aperture on the lenses. The little lever that operates the aperture is no longer able to move.

I wanted to check and make sure this is a fluke and not a problem others have had. I'm pretty sure that this is not my own doing, but I am accident prone so I wouldn't be too surprised. All I've done with the camera is take it to Vermont for vacation a week ago. It was very cold there and the camera wasn't entirely happy with that, but otherwise there were no other issues.

Any responses to this would be appreciated, I'm going to take the camera back to get serviced, I'm just a bit annoyed that I finally dropped the money on it and within two weeks it's hospital bound.

03-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Ivo

You have to set aperture ring on your lenses to "A" position. In any other mode camera can't operate aperture settings.
03-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The DA lenses don't have a ring to set to "A". It the aperture lever on the lens is not working then the lens is in need of repair. This would definitely explain your over exposure since the camera is setting the shutter speed for a smaller aperture than wide open but the lens is not stopping down to the aperture the camera is expecting it to. If it is the lever on the camera then the camera needs repair. Either way, this is not common.
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
It's not the lever on the lens, its the lever on the camera that is no longer working. The problem is with every lens I put on. The only way I can get correct exposure is by setting the lens to wide open.

I'm glad to hear this not not a common problem, but it is my luck to be the one person who has this happen within two weeks of buying the camera. Guess I get to wait a month or so to get it back from servicing.

03-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
And you can operate the lenses outside of the A setting on the aperture ring you just have to activate "use aperture ring" in the custom settings menu. Thats one of the main reasons I got this camera since I have a ton of old Pentax lenses, most of them M series.
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have had it just 2 weeks dont even consider getting it serviced. You should demand a replacement one.
03-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i'd get a replacement.

03-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Exactly, Send it back for replacement.
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I agree with getting replacement from the retailer.
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
It's funny when you completely overlook the obvious answer. I have only had this two weeks so I'll definitely be demanding a replacement. Thanks guys for pointing out the obvious.