Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A K10D/K20D weakness.

Unless I've somehow overlooked something, there is no way to keep the AE-L settings after the meter shuts off. So the limit is a max of 30 seconds while the meter is active or you have to half-press the shutter regularly to keep the settings.

Here's where this comes from. I took a weekend class with a master portrait photographer. It was a real learning experience and he always shoots in manual mode in the studio. He had several different lighting setups but the constant was taking a meter reading from either constant modeling lights or flash heads or a mix.
So. using an Olympus he would save the meter reading and then adjust DOF, light control etc as needed basically the same as Hyper Manual works with AE-L. The Olympus held the reading even after the camera went to sleep. Same for the Canon and Nikon owners as well as far as I could tell. (Yup I was the lone Pentax guy).
What he had us doing was setting the white balance for the lighting to get the right histogram then using a grey card for the right exposures under various lighting setups. After that how to adjust the camera to control the background and various other aspects of the setup. Everything shot in manual.
I searched the manual and can't find a way to hold the AE-L readings and found that to copy his technique I was constantly touching the shutter button to not have to be the only one going back to the grey card.

Any ideas?

Btw it was a great course. Learned a ton and once I figure a work-around for the above, portrait shooting should be much easier and more productive.

03-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

you can just tell the camera not to shut off....
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Still not working for me. I tried turning off the "Auto power off" under setup and the camera doesn't go to sleep. The meter still shuts down after about 60 seconds. The "meter operationg time" max setting is 30 seconds in the "Custom setting" menu. AE-L and the meter are linked according to the manual.
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

If you are in manual your settings should not be changing. Auto exposure lock should be pointless in manual. Maybe I missed something. I shoot portraits under studio lighting and always shoot in manual, never had a problem with any of my settings changing unless I have to change the battery.

03-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Peter your observation is correct. Once the meter turns off, the AE-L will be erased. However, it shouldn't matter if you are using M mode because pressing AE-L button will shift the shutter, aperture or both (depends on the custom setting). The chosen shutter and aperture should stay the same.
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yeah I guess that's easy enough. Sometimes the easiest anwers are the most overlooked. There was so much information coming at us, I wasn't thinking about how to use the camera.

Just will have to remember to hit the AE-L button again before changing any settings. Too bad Hyper manual wasn't a dedicated setting like Tav Av P etc and stayed on all the time.