Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Horizontal lines on K10D?

EDITED:
Problem solved??

You guys gave me hope that it might be a memory card issue, so I tried a few more things.

Took some more test shots, and checked the LCD screen as I took them. I didn't see any lines then, so I imported to iPhoto via my Sandisk card reader. Lo and behold, there's a line. So I didn't delete the pictures, put the card back in the camera, and dug out the cable that came with the camera. Imported to iPhoto again, and the picture that had a line through it originally did *not* have a line this time. So, card reader?? I hope so! We're going out now to get a new one.

Thanks so much for the help! And the encouragement to experiment with the memory card.

I got my k10d around the end of January, so it's still under warranty, but I'm hoping I don't have to send it away. I just recently switched to shooting in RAW, and about the same time I started getting these horizontal pink pixelated lines through my photos. It doesn't happen every time, maybe four or five photos per session. Usually I shoot 50-60 photos at a time.

First I was told it was dust, and a good cleaning would help. I took it to the (only) local camera shop, and the guy there just said that he hoped it was under warranty. So I brought it home and decided to upgrade the firmware, because Pentax's site mentioned something about "rare vertical lines", and I crossed my fingers and upgraded.

I took about 54 pictures total afterwards. I had one with a line through it. So it looks like that didn't work. Does anyone know what the term for this is, or if there's anything else I can try before sending it away?

Here are links to photographic examples:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2107/2378271281_7b13f125f9_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2378267143_798f66b0d6_b.jpg
Main page: Flickr: Photos from mgarbutt

Sorry for the novel, and thanks for any help.
shel

Last edited by mgarbutt; 04-01-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added possible solution
03-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum shel,
Don't know what's gone wrong there, but it shouldn't be happening.
I'd suggest asking your vendor to replace it. Something definitely wrong with the camera that I'm not sure can be easily fixed.
Hope it works out for you.
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll have to get in touch with Pentax tomorrow, then.
03-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

didnt one of the firmware updates have something about banding in it?

03-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

any chance you have a different sd card to try?

hey, its a long shot but sometimes they hit
03-31-2008, 11:46 PM   #6

That's missing data and suggests a bad file.

I'd definitely try Sanglant's suggestion and try another SD Card.

If not then it is most likely a Firmware or RAM problem, in which case you should return the camera to Pentax
04-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is definitely a memory card issue! I had the same problem with one of the cheap cards.
It was not on every photo I took, but hey, that's even worse. You never know if the picture will be OK or not.

04-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
This is definitely a memory card issue! I had the same problem with one of the cheap cards.
It was not on every photo I took, but hey, that's even worse. You never know if the picture will be OK or not.
My husband and I have the same kind of memory card, a Sandisk Extreme III, and it happened on his as well. Not as badly; he only had one shot with a line, I think. Do you think we both got faulty cards? I'd much rather buy new cards than send my camera back...
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #9

I'm not sure this will work, but it'll only take a few seconds to try and it won't cost anything.

After moving the files to your computer, do you just empty the card/delete the files when the card's attached to your computer? Or do you format the cards in the camera? If the former, I would definitely recommend you try formatting the card in the camera. If nobodies suggestions work, Pentax should definitely deal with this under warranty.
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
I'm not sure this will work, but it'll only take a few seconds to try and it won't cost anything.
I usually delete the cards on the computer, but I have formatted it since this started happening. It's definitely gotten better- the lines appear less frequently- but it hasn't gone away completely.

I'll try to find another card to try before I send it back to Pentax. :\ I hope it is the card.

Thanks so much!
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually think you might have nailed the problem in your original post. Your card reader. Have you tried a new one? Have you gotten any lines at all transferring directly from the camera? I had occasional problems like that with an XT. The card reader itself was more or less fine, it just didn't like the particular CF card for some reason.
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I actually think you might have nailed the problem in your original post. Your card reader. Have you tried a new one? Have you gotten any lines at all transferring directly from the camera? I had occasional problems like that with an XT. The card reader itself was more or less fine, it just didn't like the particular CF card for some reason.
Yeah, I edited the post after I tried plugging the camera into the computer directly. It worked just fine. Just got back from the store with a new card reader, so I'll try that out later.