Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is this dust?

Hello everyone,

So I finally got the K200D and I took a couple of shots. In all of the pictures I notice, there's this dot located in the same position. It seems like it's dust, but I'm not sure.

Here's a photo with the red box highlight the dot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/nace186/IMGP0009.jpg

and here's a 100% crop of the area where the dot is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/nace186/untitled.jpg

Do you guys think this is a dust or is it something else?

Thanks.

03-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

It's a defective pixel.
03-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ah I see, does Pentax cover this in the warranty or should I deal with it?
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a hot/dead pixel and is common in digital sensors. They will come and go over the life of the camera. If you get one that is persistent then yes, it is covered under warranty. I have seen them on all of my DSLRs, but none were permanent. They may show up in the same place in a series of shots, but then are gone on the next series. Again, if you get one that doesn't go away and shows up in all your shots then get it serviced.

03-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Thats why they invented cloning and healing tools in Photoshop I have been lucky and never noticed them in my shots, then again maybe I just don't look either. Enjoy your new camera.
03-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I had a few dead pixels that showed up in every photo in the same spots on my K10D... Pentax mapped them out under warranty.
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nace186 Quote
. In all of the pictures I notice, there's this dot located in the same position. It seems like it's dust, but I'm not sure.
As many have said you have a bad pixel. What they have not said is what a dust spot looks like. Dust causes is a large indistinct dark spot. The speck of dust on the sensor/filter is small but out of focus. Here is a before cleaning photo I took last year. Most of those spots were removed with a Giotto Rocket Blower I had just purchased.

Let's see, who can count the most dust spots. I can see eight in this highly compressed JPEG!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 04-01-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
04-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Leo that is one dirty sensor. I count 18 dust spots in total. some are very faint. If you want to check yourself. Take that image in the original full sized Jpeg and in any program increase the contrast really high. You'll see the faint ones much easier. The count is assuming the white surface you shot was clean.

The best way to see how clean the sensor is would be to shoot a bright blue sky with the lens wide open and focused at infinity, The take the image and add the contrast.
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
As many have said you have a bad pixel. What they have not said is what a dust spot looks like. Dust causes is a large indistinct dark spot. The speck of dust on the sensor/filter is small but out of focus. Here is a before cleaning photo I took last year. Most of those spots were removed with a Giotto Rocket Blower I had just purchased.
Can these dust spots be removed with photoshop? Being a complete newb to my K10D, I was dumbfounded to already find what I think is a dust spot (to the upper right of the moon):

Is this dust and should I buy this rocket blower and use it, or wait until it gets worse?
04-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd order the rocket blower and until it arrives, use the clone tool to remove the dust spots from any images. Then anytime in the future, if there is any dust get out the blower.
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The best way to see how clean the sensor is would be to shoot a bright blue sky with the lens wide open and focused at infinity, The take the image and add the contrast.
In my experience the dust is seen a lot better if the lens is closed down. Wide open they might not show up at all.
04-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You're right. Duh moment...
04-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd order the rocket blower and until it arrives, use the clone tool to remove the dust spots from any images. Then anytime in the future, if there is any dust get out the blower.
Sorry, is that something in Photoshop (which I do not yet have...)?
04-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #14
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Sorry, is that something in Photoshop (which I do not yet have...)?
Yes, but you can try this free Photoshop alternative:

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program