Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Manipulating aperture without rings

I've noticed that both lenses that came with my K-x have closed apertures to the size of a pin-hole. My question is how do I open them since they don't have rings on the lenses? Or does that not matter. Or do they automatically close when you take them off the camera?

Point is, I feel like my focus has been soft and/or very shallow. Not sure if this is related.

I have gone back and forth with 'Using Aperture Ring - Prohibited and Permitted' because I have mounted some of my old Pentax lenses with the bracket. Again, not sure if this is related. Basically any guidance for any of these topics would help.

Thanks

11-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of whether or not your lens has a ring (unless it's a M or K lens), you need to put your camera in Av mode to control the aperture manually.

If it's a M or a K lens, then you set the aperture on the lens and stop-down meter.

You can leave the 'Using Aperture Ring' setting at 'Permitted', as it has no effect for modern lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gman26 Quote
I've noticed that both lenses that came with my K-x have closed apertures to the size of a pin-hole.
Your lenses will have the aperture stopped all the way down when not on the camera. When mounted on the camera the aperture will be held completely open until you take a picture, at which point the camera will stop down the aperture to the number set and then take a picture.

To control the aperture set the camera to Av and set the aperture you want on the camera. The camera will set the lens to that when it takes a picture.

As Adam note Permit Aperture Ring has no effect on modern lenses, just leave it in the on position it hurts nothing that way.
11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.