Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
m42 - which?

Hi All

Just inherited by chance almost brand new Jupiter 37a and Helios 44-2. This is my first encounter with m42 and I was just wondering it is worth to buy Original Penatx m42 adapter or just take whatever cheaper one from China/ebay.

What would be the pros/cons for such a choice? At the end it's just a screw adapter, correct?

Thanks,
superdavis

11-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you want focus to infinity and reliable ease of use, go for the real Pentax thing
I have tried number of cheap ones and all of them had problems, even those with infinity focus ( not a very precise copy of the original Pentax gadget).
now I have 2x Pentax real ones and very happy forever with them,
they are precisely engineered , easy to attach and remove and they will never cause any damage to the lens or camera body mount
11-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
if you want focus to infinity and reliable ease of use, go for the real Pentax thing
I have tried number of cheap ones and all of them had problems, even those with infinity focus ( not a very precise copy of the original Pentax gadget).
now I have 2x Pentax real ones and very happy forever with them,
they are precisely engineered , easy to attach and remove and they will never cause any damage to the lens or camera body mount
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
thanks, this sounds good for me and kind of had the same feeling
11-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Just a warning, the Helios 44-2 has a small base that does not sit against the mount of the camera like most M42 glass, so they will wobble on the mount unless you find some way to stabilize them.

11-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by superdavis Quote
Hi All

Just inherited by chance almost brand new Jupiter 37a and Helios 44-2. This is my first encounter with m42 and I was just wondering it is worth to buy Original Penatx m42 adapter or just take whatever cheaper one from China/ebay.

What would be the pros/cons for such a choice? At the end it's just a screw adapter, correct?

Thanks,
superdavis
If You want to have an adapter that works as it should take the original. I own two of them, and they can be removed even with your fingernails, whereas all other that I tried lead to problems.
11-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Bower (I believe) adapter and with the Auto Chinon lens and the Zenitar, I have had zero issues
11-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Just a warning, the Helios 44-2 has a small base that does not sit against the mount of the camera like most M42 glass
thanks for the warning, but I could not find such an issue noted in ANY of the reviews in the lens database ;( maybe your m42 adapter was the problem?
11-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The SRB adapter is a well regarded third party adapter.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K

11-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

thanks for the warning, but I could not find such an issue noted in ANY of the reviews in the lens database ;( maybe your m42 adapter was the problem?
The adapters are supposed to fit loose, even the official Pentax ones are a looser fit than many Chinese ones. Maybe there are different versions of the 44-2 with smaller bases than others, so maybe not all are affected.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101836-heli...-solution.html
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would be the pros/cons for such a choice?
Looks like the good folk of the forum have covered all the bases. Just to add my two-cents, the risk of a cheap adapter becoming locked on camera is not exaggerated. The Bower I bought from Adorama jammed on first mount and it took me close to four hours of effort to remove. Get the genuine Pentax or possibly the SRB.

Steve

(...really should order one of the SRB adapters to confirm quality...)
11-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get the genuine Pentax or possibly the SRB.
just got the original one (thought states that made in Philippines not Japan) and am very happy with it. At the end, it was just around 10Euros more than I would have spent for non brand one

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
he adapters are supposed to fit loose, even the official Pentax ones are a looser fit than many Chinese ones. Maybe there are different versions of the 44-2 with smaller bases than others, so maybe not all are affected.
tried my 44-2 Helios and yes it wobbles a bit, but that it very little and does not have any discomfort for focusing. so I will never mind this. Then I also tried the Jupiter 37a and there is no wobble at all. It stands strong and firm, so I guess this is Helios not adapter issue.