Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

French k20D Review

Unfortunately I can't read french.

Maybe some members here who do could shed some light on this review.

Cheers

Del

test pentax K20D

Last edited by VHDEL; 04-01-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Edit Spelling
04-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could have just hit the EDIT button and repair your mistake. Or matbe you didn't care that much.

I'll just translate (French is not my strong point, so if anyone wants to elaborate, they are encouraged to do so) the parts they didn't like.

Only 3fps
Perfectible noise reduction/control at higher sensitivities (3200/6400) and DR
Viewfinder does not cover 100% of the frame
Live View not interesting (was it ever?)
No HDMI (while we're at it, let's complain it doesn't have SCART or SPDIF)
No AF assist lamp
The display doesn't do that cool thing (turn off) when you get close to the viewfinder
No silent shutter in Live View (like the 40D)
You don't get the option to choose between AA batteries and Li-Ion.

Trifle little things.
04-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #3

Here is a summary of the conclusion:

According to the review, the K20D is not the revolutionary camera that some were waiting for, but it's a nice surprise/improvement regardless. For those people who already use a digital Pentax SLR, they will feel very familiar with the K20D's practical control layout. The sensor, co-developed by Samsung and Pentax, is also a success. However, concerning the electronic noise, the K20D does not attain the level of the Nikon D300 or Canon 40D, though the noise remains respectable up to 1600ISO.

On the downside, the reviewers would liked to have seen a more 'accurate' viewfinder (larger, I guess), and a more precise AF module. Moreover, the larger dynamic range function is not very convincing, and image stabilisation has only improved a little.

Should you upgrade? The K10D has practically the same case and ergonomics as the K20D, but at a very attractive price. The only deciding factors in favour of the K20D are whether syncro flash, live-view, and 'very high definition' (14mp) are fundamental requirements for you. Otherwise, get the K10D.
04-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Front page of Chasseur d'Images n° 302 (April 2008):

"K20D, Un sacré coup de maître!" ("K20D, a remarkable masterstroke")

04-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

(Cross-posting this from Photo.net) Here's my translation of their verdict on the K20D, from the final page:

"Not quite the revolutionary body that some were expecting, the Pentax K20D is a nice surprise, or at least its sensor is a nice surprise.

With no changes to the body design, Pentax-ists will be immediately familiar with this new SLR, and others will find it to be an extremely well-thought-out body, with thoughtful ergonomics and sprinkled with very practical features here and there (sensitivity priority mode for example). First of all, the sensor co-developed by Samsung and Pentax is a success. Concerning electronic noise, the K20D's images certainly don't reach the (very high) level of a Nikon D300 or Canon 40D, but they remain very clean up to ISO 1600 and remain usable to the highest sensitivity (ISO 6400) with very gentle noise reduction and an impressive level of detail. The image quality is also there, even if a few points could be improved, such as under-exposure. These remain minor details compared to the overall image quality which is quite exciting.

Overall, the Pentax K20D is a very good body (excellent ergonomics), but nonetheless somehow lacking in ambition. The improvements relative to the K10D are quite real but not decisive: the Live View mode remains limited, the increased dynamic range is less than convincing, and the improvement in image stabilization is little noticed... we would have liked a more precise viewfinder and a redesigned AF module. Pity.

Of course, the immediate question is "should I spring for the brand spanking new K20D, or stick with the K10D for its unbeatable price / performance ratio?" The K20D has high resolution going for it, but the K10D is now available at a very attractive price. With practically the same body and ergonomics, the K10D remains an excellent alternative for those whose first priorities aren't high resolution (14 MP) or studio use (PC sync, live view)."
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luxart Quote
Front page of Chasseur d'Images n° 302 (April 2008):

"K20D, Un sacré coup de maître!" ("K20D, a remarkable masterstroke")
Chasseur D'Images is the most credible Photo Rag in France. They are highly critical. The K10D did not fare nearly as well as the K20D has with them. They were totally blown away by its' performance.

Ben
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Chasseur D'Images is the most credible Photo Rag in France. They are highly critical. The K10D did not fare nearly as well as the K20D has with them. They were totally blown away by its' performance.

Ben
Yeah, but they don't put much of their material online... and it's impossible to find in the USA. Maybe in Quebec?

04-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moxfyre Quote
Yeah, but they don't put much of their material online... and it's impossible to find in the USA. Maybe in Quebec?
You can subscribe to the magazine, and they also have a web access to which you can subscribe.
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can subscribe to the magazine, and they also have a web access to which you can subscribe.
Woah... I didn't even realize you could do online subscriptions. Thanks!
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
Unfortunately I can't read french.....

test pentax K20D

For those who want to read the whole thing for themselves but don't know French, here's a suggestion.
  1. Copy link above to clipboard
  2. Go to Google Translate
  3. Paste the review link into the URL field
  4. Select "French to English" (or French to whatever you like)
  5. Enjoy
You'll learn a little about the K20D and even more about the very serious limits of what machine translation can achieve. ;-)

If you're really lazy, I've done steps 1-4 for you: just click here.

NOTE that the web page generated by the translator has some layout problems: scroll down to get to the start of the article. And as you click the 'next page' links at the bottom of each page, Google translator will translate those pages for you, too.

Will
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
You'll learn a little about the K20D and even more about the very serious limits of what machine translation can achieve. ;-)

I like how the "Power & storage" section is variously labeled as "Food" or "Food storage."
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

digression

I like how the "Power & storage" section is variously labeled as "Food" or "Food storage."
Other of my favorites: a picture designed to illustrate how well shake reduction works is described as having been taken "by a show of hands." And they complain that the K20D as "a little tendency to underexpose cliches." But this is the favored paragraph entire, so to speak:
The construction of Pentax K20D is remarkable (he boasts a good impression of strength) and the manufacturer ensures antiruissellement treatment. The K20D is, in fact, not really tropicalised, but it is crimped many O-rings (present there are 74), which provide some watertight (small rain, spray, snow ...) to emerge its housing in all weathers. The housing is well-proportioned and fits comfortably in the hand. The coatings used are fun and the handle provides a good grip.
Can't beat that antiruisellement treatment that Pentax uses! Canon's antiruisellement treatment stinks by comparison. And Nikon's coatings aren't any fun at all! On the other hand, I'm not really sure I feel like emerging my camera's housing, in any kind of weather.

Nonetheless, the truth is, the translation is generally useful.

Will
04-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What's funny about that? My K20D came with a Pez dispenser built in. Weather-sealed, of course.

04-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Forum Member

Other of my favorites: a picture designed to illustrate how well shake reduction works is described as having been taken "by a show of hands." And they complain that the K20D as "a little tendency to underexpose cliches." But this is the favored paragraph entire, so to speak:
The construction of Pentax K20D is remarkable (he boasts a good impression of strength) and the manufacturer ensures antiruissellement treatment. The K20D is, in fact, not really tropicalised, but it is crimped many O-rings (present there are 74), which provide some watertight (small rain, spray, snow ...) to emerge its housing in all weathers. The housing is well-proportioned and fits comfortably in the hand. The coatings used are fun and the handle provides a good grip.
Can't beat that antiruisellement treatment that Pentax uses! Canon's antiruisellement treatment stinks by comparison. And Nikon's coatings aren't any fun at all! On the other hand, I'm not really sure I feel like emerging my camera's housing, in any kind of weather.
Hehehe... Pentax's new motto: "We make coatings fun."

Here's another virtually incomprehensible sentence from the continuous mode performance data: "The system expansion of the dynamic slightly reduced pace burst."

Nonetheless, the truth is, the translation is generally useful.
Indeed. It's really good, some sentences seem perfectly natural... if this keeps up, I'm going to have to lose my smug sense of bilingual superiority, since everyone can just get their computer to do it for them
04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What's funny about that? My K20D came with a Pez dispenser built in. Weather-sealed, of course.

Oh... so *that's* what the little battery grip compartment is for.