Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stickler Quote
I agree mirrorless is part of the future one way or another, and a Ricoh produced K-mount supported camera must be in their plans.

I personally think Ricoh will release a newer mount that maintains legacy support for the K-mounts, ala m4/3 the new OM focusing 4/3. Pentax models always being k-mount, but Ricoh or some new brand having a new all electronic mount and an available via fully compatible K-adapter.
I'm thinking along the same lines, but it can be simpler and avoid the adapter by making the mount diameter fractionally larger and allowing the new lenses to move within the mirror box for compactness - at the same time slightly too wide so as to prevent mounting on existing K bodies. Existing mount ring is pretty wide - so there is room for such improvising.

11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
If it's a new mount, it'll be a short flange distance mount (smaller bodies no dead space) with all the electronic contacts separate from the flange (allow better/easier WR) otherwise potentially just making the k-mount shorter flange registration and using an extension tube is super simple, but leads to user logic issues. of course this has all been discussed to death and is sort of out of scope for this discussion. which would be "how can a native k-mount mirrorless be designed well"
11-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Yes, we are digressing, but all of what you say can be achieved within the concept I'm trying to convey. It sounds illogical, but you can create the shorter registration distance system by actually widening the mount opening slightly. The only minor engineering issue is to ensure the new lenses cannot fit within the existing K bodies - being too wide at roughly the 8 and 2 o'clock positions as the lens mates, and swinging into the horizontal position when locked. It won't cause confusion because the new lenses will not begin to mount into the old system - but much of the optical system of the new lenses can enter the mirror box area.
11-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stickler Quote
I agree mirrorless is part of the future one way or another, and a Ricoh produced K-mount supported camera must be in their plans.

I personally think Ricoh will release a newer mount that maintains legacy support for the K-mounts, ala m4/3 the new OM focusing 4/3. Pentax models always being k-mount, but Ricoh or some new brand having a new all electronic mount and an available via fully compatible K-adapter.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way" is a motto that one of my early supervisors was a proponent of. In producing the K3 with its innovative switchable AA filter, Ricoh was definitely leading.

With the K3 on the shelf, the K02, if there is one, would be a terrific opportunity to test out a new mount. My only requirement for it would be, as a minimum, a smart adapter that would allow me to use my existing k-mount lenses on it, with AF controls. And i would want Pentax to provide that smart adapter with the K02. I want to see Pentax/Ricoh as viable for as long as a period as possible. If that viability could be enhanced by a new mount, then they should give it a try on the K02. I can't tell anyone for sure that a new mount is a necessity, but when i see Sony do better with their Nex cameras than their older Minolta mount, it makes me wonder.

11-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way" is a motto that one of my early supervisors was a proponent of. In producing the K3 with its innovative switchable AA filter, Ricoh was definitely leading.

With the K3 on the shelf, the K02, if there is one, would be a terrific opportunity to test out a new mount. My only requirement for it would be, as a minimum, a smart adapter that would allow me to use my existing k-mount lenses on it, with AF controls. And i would want Pentax to provide that smart adapter with the K02. I want to see Pentax/Ricoh as viable for as long as a period as possible. If that viability could be enhanced by a new mount, then they should give it a try on the K02. I can't tell anyone for sure that a new mount is a necessity, but when i see Sony do better with their Nex cameras than their older Minolta mount, it makes me wonder.
I agree that the first model should include that adapter and be advertised as a K-mount, the second generation could omit it as it will be somewhat expensive and less needed by users with only lenses in the new mount. (the trouble is they need what took 4/3 years to create in m4/3 (strong legacy lens support) right out of the gate to make Pentaxians happy)

I think Ricoh's comments regarding how the Pentax brand would be maintained for OVF cameras (I'm paraphrasing) is telling that another brand of ILC cameras from Ricoh is coming. It makes sense to differentiate.
11-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Not to beat a dead horse, but the folks adapting other mounts to the NEX are finding out that this degrades image quality - sometimes dramatically. I'm a big fan of Roger Cicala - and he has shown clearly that this is a real problem even with expensive adapters. See: LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters

So, if Ricoh/Pentax wants to get serious about the dual mount solution, perhaps my concept (which would be pioneering) would be most effective, least expensive, and optically superior if technically feasible.