Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #1

Help! Which camera to buy??

I'm so confused... I swear, I've researched for months to find the right camera for my needs and it seems like the more I research the more confused I get . I need some opinions to try and help me out here.

First let me say that I'll be shooting fashion/glamour type photography, and I have no prior lenses so I'm free to go any direction I want to. I'm basically starting from scratch here. Now, I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the K20d, Nikon d300, and Canon 40d. Now I realize that this is a Pentax forum, but please try to be as objective as possible when responding.

Honestly, I'm leaning less towards the 40d at this point because I think the 20d and d300 are better cameras overall (especially for the price). But perhaps someone here will tell me otherwise? I'm really torn between the d300 and k20 though. I really like everything about the k20d. I'm perhaps a bit worried about the color issues I've seen people bring up with the pentax though, and the d300 I feel is just such a good camera that I'm less worried about issues arising like with the Pentax (not to say they will or wont, it's just a concern for me). And if I look at things objectively, I have to say that the Nikon is the better camera overall. So if I factor that in, I lean more towards the Nikon, but 2 cons I have about the nikon are no built in IS like the Pentax, and of course I could save a few hundred bucks by going with the Pentax.

So, please someone help sway me here and decide which direction I should go in.

04-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Id agree that the canon is the least exiting one of the three, although for sports shooters it would still be more suited than the k20d. But youre not a sports shooter so that ones off the list, oh the 5D is great for fashion though, but the canon ergonomics leave much to be desired.

the k20d seems a great camera, although the d300 seems a fantastic camera. In terms of IQ they are dammed close and its more down to which lens you use. Lens selection is better for nikon in terms of zooms and nikons zooms are fantastic, but pentax zooms are smaller and lighter and the pentax prime lens lineup is fantastic, especially the fa limiteds that are both small and fast, compare the size of the fa77 with an 85mm.

nikon also has a strong flash system. the pentax p-ttl system is not very accurate.

overall in terms of body id lean towards the d300, its one hell of a body and kudos to nikon for improving just about every part of the d200, even shortening shutter lag and mirror timeout. its strenghts lie in the af system, metering system, flash system. and the amazing feel of the body (feels extremely resonsive and with v short vf blackout and very nice mirror sound). also with the grip you get 8fps. its just a great overall body, 100% vf even with optional grid lines overlay. and a faster sync speed than the k20d thats important for flash shooting. also the live view is great on the amazing screen and you can connect it via hdmi to get great looking lv on a monitor.

the k20d has a very good sensor that provides extra resolution compared to the d300 although differences are small and the d300 has 14bit raw files vs k20 12.

price is a big concern though. the d300 is more expensive but that might look overcomeable but what you need to do is calculate the body and lens cost. if you want some hq f2.8 zooms then the nikon prices will be very steep. and the weight will be a lot more. as i said the iq is very close.

and as always its best to try em before you buy em.

i must admit after playing around with a d300 i did setup my desired nikon system in order to calculate the price and compare it to the expected selling price of my pentax gear. i concluded it was too big a gap... for now. in afterthough i think i would hate the weight for nikon f2.8 vr zooms since i already think my camera bag is too heavy. but oh i dream of a d300 spec equivalent from pentax.
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I need to start adding up prices for my complete setup in each system... and hopefully that will help narrow the field even more for me. BTW, I was playing around with the Canon and some lower level Nikons today, and the lenses for the nikons just seemed rather plastic to me. Could've just been the particular model lense that was on the cameras, but compared to the canon lense I definitely noticed a difference structurally.
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats really depends on the lens, both nikon and canon have good lenses, as do any other manufacturer. Price ranges differ if it was a nikon kit lens and a canon L lens then of course the feel will be different, I wouldnt worry about that.

04-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check for posts by Benjikan. He is a fashion photographer based in Paris who uses Pentax equipment and a frequent contributor to these fora.
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I think the price alone throws me off of the Nikon(including the outrageous lenses). I saw a d300 today and I really liked it, I just can't go to the dark side.