Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

G'day Pentax People

Hi all, I have been trawling these forums for a little while now, and have finally become a member. I had been reading what everyone has been saying about the K10D, and i'm pleased to say that i got my own K10D last night, and cannot wait to put itn to use over the weekend. I am a pentax man through and through and this is my 2nd DSLR as i have the *istDS as well. My collection is starting to build up nicely.

I am what some would consider somewhat of an enthusiast/hobbyist. My technical knowledge isn't fully up there yet, but i know enough to get by. I shoot weddings and sell pictures from my travels over the years - its great fun and would love to make a career out of it.

Recently I have been reading people's discussions regarding the flash units for the K10D. I was concerned that I may not be able to use the Sigma EF 430 ST (I have 2) and dreaded the thought of buying another flash, as i had bought the 2nd Flash prior to the KD10. So after reading what people had said regarding P-TTL and TTL I though my K10D would not supoort the Sigma flash. (this flash works perfectly on the DS and my MZ50 & MZ60).

Not being able to test it out in the shop I went home, attached the flash and presto it worked without an issue. I was using the Sigma AF DC 18-125 lens that came with my DS.

So if someone could clarify the whole TTL & P-TTL thing that would be great as now i'm a tad confused. I assume with older manual lenses there may be an issue. I used the Sigma flash on the K10D set on P and also Green Mode, just to make sure.

My second question is lens related. I am after a lens (anything similar to the Canon 70-200 USM or above, I know SIGMA makes similar) that can be superior optically and also practical. I want a fast lens with superior optics to that of the kit lenses i have, with a good focal range. I want to use this for my weddings and also my african safari later this year. It's one thing to have a great camera body, but lenses are the most important in my mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to contributing, I've learnt alot so far from reading these posts.

switch79

01-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by switch79 Quote
My second question is lens related. I am after a lens (anything similar to the Canon 70-200 USM or above, I know SIGMA makes similar) that can be superior optically and also practical. I want a fast lens with superior optics to that of the kit lenses i have, with a good focal range. I want to use this for my weddings and also my african safari later this year. It's one thing to have a great camera body, but lenses are the most important in my mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to contributing, I've learnt alot so far from reading these posts.

switch79
Welcome Aboard. Your second question highlights what I think is Pentax's biggest weakness at the moment, the lack of a fast autofocus telephoto zoom lens in production. The out of production FA 80-200 f/2.8 regulary sells used on EBAY for over $1200.00US. As I see you use Sigma products I am sharing part of a post from several weeks ago in which I emailed Sigma about the lack of a Pentax mount for their fast lenses. I know I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the D FA * 50-150 f/2.8. Here is the post:
"I recently emailed Sigma about the lack of availability, in the US anyway, of their fast (2.8) zoom lenses for Pentax. I inquired specifically about the 70-200f/2.8, 120-300 f2.8 and 50-150 f2.8. Currently only the 70-200 comes in a Pentax mount, but it is difficult to find at the moment. It appears Sigma may hit the market with the 50-150 about when Pentax does with the new DA*. Below is the response I got from the Sigma rep. I was impressed with the detailed, candid, and thorough response to my email. Enjoy: "Thank you for your inquiry. Due in part to extreme demand for Canon and Nikon mount lenses Sigma has recently given heavy priority to manufacturing Canon and Nikon mount lenses. However, Sigma does continue to support the Pentax system and offers more than 30 lenses for Pentax cameras as well. At this time, we have no firm delivery date for the 70-200mm F2.8 DG Macro lens for Pentax. Sigma continues to be the company most committed to the Pentax lens system. Regarding the 120-300mm F2.8 lens, it is doubtful, at this time, that this lens will be made for Pentax cameras. The 50-150mm F2.8 lens will probably be made for Pentax, early next year. Please be patient."

I wish I had a recommendation, that was easy to come by, for your sake and mine!
Regards,
Erl
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can hold off, in the spring pentax is going to sell a DA 50-135mm 2.8 IF lens that I would buy in a second if I had the money.
2.8 through this range would suite most of my indoors no flash action shots just fine
I don't know how much difference the Ultra sonic will be as far as how fast it will focus, I guess I will have to see after some reviews

cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-19-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: should have read 50 not 70mm
01-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I now have, um, five lenses for my K100D.

1. Kit Pentax 18-55 F3.5-5.6
2. Pentax M 50mm F1.4
3. Sigma 28-70 F2.8
4. Tamron 18-200 F3.5-6.3
5. Pentax 75-300 4.5-5.8

I don't have a ton of use for #1 any more, as it has been replaced very nicely by 3 and 4, which I expect will be my workhorses - #3 (the Sigma 28-70) for indoors, #4 (the Tamron 18-200) for outdoors. #2 is for special tasks inside in low light. #5 (the Pentax 75-300) is for nature shooting outdoors, with the help of a Tamron 1.4x converter when appropriate. It's taken me some missteps to collect this set of lenses, but at the moment I'm satisfied with the group. I'd prefer to have a single 18-300 that can offer f/1.8 throughout the range, with outstanding image quality, and a cost under $400. But that lens seems to be out of stock everywhere.

If I had to live with just one of these lenses, it would be #4, the Tamron 18-200. Seems to be a solid lens and it's quite versatile. However, the Sigma was more expensive and I am rather expecting it to be superior to the Tamron, where they overlap in range. I just got the Sigma today. I've already taken a number of shots and it looks promising, but the acid test comes Saturday when I shoot my daughter playing basketball with it - one of the reasons I got the lens. Will at that time post some notes on the lens in the thread I started recently on shooting basketball with my K100D.

For your safari, I'd think you'd want a good zoom that goes to 300 or a prime in that range or better. I'm quite pleased with the Pentax 75-300. You can see some pictures I took with it recently, here. I'm sure there are better lenses in that range available, but this one was reasonably priced.

Big caveat: I am not in any way a lens connoisseur, so please take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Good luck with your new camera!

Will

01-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

switch79
I am a lens man too. Sigma 70-200 f2.8 does have a better colour than canon 70-200/2.8. Sigma might not be that sharp though. Sigma bokeh is inferior to canon as it is less smooth and creamy. Sigma 70-200 also hunts with its well known HSM (better than HSM compared to other focal lengths in sigma series).

While I was on the dark side using canon 70-200/2.8, it is the best in wedding and street candid shots. I believe sigma 70-200/2.8 is equally as good if used on k10d or k100d bodies (pentax colour provokes my defection from canon to pentax camp.

I do not own Fa* 80-200 f2.8 but the examples from this lens is just amazing. Definitely sharper than canon counterpart. Apparently canon 80-200/2.8 (the older version of canon 70-200/2.8) was reported to be the sharpest L zoom ever. I doubt canon telescopic zooms are as sharp as Fa 80-200/2.8 (Good luck if you can find one)

Congrads on k10d and hope we do not bid against each other on ebay in the future.
01-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe you can wait for Da* 50-135 f2.8 to be released? Probably not long reach enough for you