Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say keep the K100D Super, and either put some money into lenses, or save for the K20D or K30D, or all of the above.

IMO, The K100D Super is the best 6MP camera ever built, period, and it's superior to the 8MP Canon Xti and Nikon D40x, so it could be considered the best non-pro camera under 8mp ever built.

Some good lenses will make you happier and give you better images than the difference between the K100D and K10D, and the lenses will stay with you much longer than the bodies.

04-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I know technology moves fast, but ... - ancient?
the CCD used by pentax is the same one that sony uses (and subsequently Nikon)

its pretty outdated. 2~3 years
04-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
I've only had my k100d I got off Ebay last week and already I want to upgrade to perhaps the k200d. The k100d is great but what I want to know is...from my experiences,higher MP cameras also deliver more noise. The k100d starts at ISO 200 as opposed to 100 with the k200d and ends with 3200 on the k100d as opposed to only 1600 on the k200d, I shoot in all kinds of lighting situations and I also like detail. Increasing the MP count by four sounds appealing but I'm afraid I'll lose out on some very low light situations without a flash. I only paid $525.00 with a bunch of lenses and big camera bag...or, should I resell the "hardly used" body of the k100d and get the k200d? I like the fact both use AA batteries. or should I keep the k100d not know what price I'll get in the end.Anyone have both cams?

Barry
Check out my high ISO shot on my Flickr site. As long as you keep the exposure up and don't underexpose, the noise is not, to this old film dog anyway, very bad.
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Are you really planning to go to the Dallas Auto Show this week? Bring your K10 if you do and you show me what makes the upgrade so special to you. Let me know when (e-mail addy in profile) I think it'll be fun experimenting with the settings.
Barry, I'll go if I get a chance, but at the moment, it looks unlikely. Have to go to Fort Worth on Saturday and have family obligations on Sunday, plus a bride to interview sometime in there, as well. My wife and I wanted to go as we're starting to think about a new car. But we can get together another time soon.

Back to your original question: I earlier suggested that you consider the K10D instead of the K200D. If you insist on changing cameras, I still think the K10D makes better sense. However, I want to acknowledge the very good points made by others who said that spending money on lenses is perhaps the best route of all. The K100D is an excellent camera. Getting a K10D or even K20D will not, by itself, have a dramatic impact on the quality of the photos you take. Anybody taking, say, C+ photographs now, will take C+ photos with a newer, much "better" camera. But a C+ photographer whose been shooting with so-so lenses might instantly improve to a B- photographer simply by buying a really good lens.

Will

04-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Stupid Is as Stupid Does?

Well guys, I did it, I put my barely used k100d (body only( on Ebay just a week after I got it off Ebay for a crazy low price with lots of lenses,large camera bag,rechargable batteries with charger for $525. I have already ordered the k200d for $616 for just the body, I like it's dust removal system and the ability to shoot at 100 ISO, I don't think I'll miss the 3200 setting too much. Will give you a full report in about a week. In the meantime, has anyone made a k200d sig pic yet? lol

Barry
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
Igilligan

A question about your K100d on ebay?

Well guys, I did it, I put my barely used k100d (body only( on Ebay just a week after I got it off Ebay for a crazy low price with lots of lenses,large camera bag,rechargable batteries with charger for $525. I have already ordered the k200d for $616 for just the body, I like it's dust removal system and the ability to shoot at 100 ISO, I don't think I'll miss the 3200 setting too much. Will give you a full report in about a week. In the meantime, has anyone made a k200d sig pic yet? lol

Barry
Hi Barry, funny seeing you here after our recent history in the FTF. I have been looking for a used K100d or K100d super for my cousin Terry who happens to live near you in Irving. (he really liked mine when we were on vacation) So I thought I would check out your ebay ad and maybe have him bid on the camera if the bidding did not get too crazy, since he does not have a lot of money to spend and there would be no need for shipping charges.
But I found this as the heading and quote to your listing...
Pentax k100d Body, Used Only For Less Than 50 Shots
When I bought this camera, I thought I could handle the weight, I was wrong. It's not heavy for most people but my shoulders were scarred from a fire I was in back in 2000. I have shot less than 50 pictures with it, making as close to new as your gonna get. I copied the following (everything in quotes) from digitalcamerareview.com. I wish I could handle it for long photoshoots but that's not possible at this time, so my loss is your gain. Good Luck Bidding!! BTW, I will also include 4 rechargeable AAs with charger,4gb SD card and a small tabletop tripod if you ask for them and you get the winning bid.

I am a bit confused. My understanding was that you bought this camera used on ebay. And yet here it reads like you are implying there are only 50 shots on it. "I have shot less than 50 pictures with it, making as close to new as your gonna get." So I checked with the original seller and he thought he had shot about 4000 shots on it. (still a small amount IMO, but very different from 50 shots)

Also, you mention that the reason you are selling the camera is because of the weight of the camera, that it is too heavy for your shoulders. And yet you are telling us here in Pentax Forums, that you have already ordered the K200d, which is a heavier camera.

One of the things I love about Pentax Forums is that it has a vibrant marketplace that is built on the premise that the members are truthful with each other. We need to be, since we buy and sell to each other. Lots of helpful, honest folks on here and I have picked up some of my favorite lenses from forum members...
And I do appreciate that you did not try and sell the camera in our market place as it is listed on ebay.

But please consider fixing your original E-Bay listing with the actual shuttercount and the real reason for why you are selling it. There is nothing wrong with just upgrading your camera. And I am sure you will want the listing to be as accurate as possible.
Good luck with your sale either way.

After knowing what I now know about ebay... I will just wait till one comes up in our marketplace for a reasonable price and send Terry a link to that.
Or I may just sell him mine and get a D300.

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In your article you state that to print an image twice the size in any linear dimension you need twice the pixel count, (in a linear dimension) OK I can agree with this as long as you stipulate it is the DPI in a linear dimension, but you don't

You then state that to print twice the area, you need 4 times the pixle count (I am assuming you mean here tht toal MP not linear pixels but again this is not stated)
It doesn't matter how you measure the DPI so long as it is consistent. But generally it is measured in area and all my examples follow that assumption. There is no inconsistency. But if you can suggest a clearer way of stating what I said, I'm all ears.

What is wrong with these 2 statements, in the first statement, twice the linear size is 4 times the area, and the total MP count is quadroupled to achieve the same resolution. and in the second, double the area needs double the pixles to have the same pixles per square unit area and the same resolution, not quadroupled as you state.
Twice a single linear dimension is not four times the area. Twice both dimensions is. There is nothing wrong with what I stated.

Lastly you say inthe article that to do more requires A FF sensor, but unless this sensor has more pixles, you will not get any additional benefit in resolution because that is limited by the total pixel count and some FF cameras are less than 14 MP of the K20D.
I agree that here I am unclear. I should clarify that I am talking about more pixels. I assumed that FF cameras have more than 6MP but I should be explicit in case someone releases one with less.

Unfortunately your math is all wrong in the article, giving a lot of misleading guidance.
Nowhere is the math wrong. And even if it was where is all the "misleading guidance"? I believe you are being needlessly harsh.

04-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Check out my high ISO shot on my Flickr site. As long as you keep the exposure up and don't underexpose, the noise is not, to this old film dog anyway, very bad.
Agreed. I end up shooting at ISO 1600 with the K20d a lot. I have no complaints. Then again, I don't pixel peep...I shoot.
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hi Barry, funny seeing you here after our recent history in the FTF. I have been looking for a used K100d or K100d super for my cousin Terry who happens to live near you in Irving. (he really liked mine when we were on vacation) So I thought I would check out your ebay ad and maybe have him bid on the camera if the bidding did not get too crazy, since he does not have a lot of money to spend and there would be no need for shipping charges.
But I found this as the heading and quote to your listing...
Pentax k100d Body, Used Only For Less Than 50 Shots
When I bought this camera, I thought I could handle the weight, I was wrong. It's not heavy for most people but my shoulders were scarred from a fire I was in back in 2000. I have shot less than 50 pictures with it, making as close to new as your gonna get. I copied the following (everything in quotes) from digitalcamerareview.com. I wish I could handle it for long photoshoots but that's not possible at this time, so my loss is your gain. Good Luck Bidding!! BTW, I will also include 4 rechargeable AAs with charger,4gb SD card and a small tabletop tripod if you ask for them and you get the winning bid.

I am a bit confused. My understanding was that you bought this camera used on ebay. And yet here it reads like you are implying there are only 50 shots on it. "I have shot less than 50 pictures with it, making as close to new as your gonna get." So I checked with the original seller and he thought he had shot about 4000 shots on it. (still a small amount IMO, but very different from 50 shots)

Also, you mention that the reason you are selling the camera is because of the weight of the camera, that it is too heavy for your shoulders. And yet you are telling us here in Pentax Forums, that you have already ordered the K200d, which is a heavier camera.

One of the things I love about Pentax Forums is that it has a vibrant marketplace that is built on the premise that the members are truthful with each other. We need to be, since we buy and sell to each other. Lots of helpful, honest folks on here and I have picked up some of my favorite lenses from forum members...
And I do appreciate that you did not try and sell the camera in our market place as it is listed on ebay.

But please consider fixing your original E-Bay listing with the actual shuttercount and the real reason for why you are selling it. There is nothing wrong with just upgrading your camera. And I am sure you will want the listing to be as accurate as possible.
Good luck with your sale either way.

After knowing what I now know about ebay... I will just wait till one comes up in our marketplace for a reasonable price and send Terry a link to that.
Or I may just sell him mine and get a D300.
Gus,
The original seller had the "k100d for a "buy it now" price of $525.00 with all kinds of extras, so I jumped at the chance and bought it on the spot, no questions asked, I didn't even look at the counter, it's still looks like brand new. I'm new to Ebay and have been reselling items that didn't have good advertising strategy and sold for >99 cens and seeing if I can do better, it's worked so far. I have made around $145 on the lenses that were included in that kit along with the k1000 35mm camera, he also included, reselling those and the k100d will help me upgrade to the k200d, I plan to keep As far as the "50 shots" comment on Ebay, it's true as I said "I PERSONALLY" have taken less than 50 shots and it appears it was used (as you mentioned) by the other
owner.Before I placed the ad, I chatted with a power seller on Ebay who said it's part of the game on Ebay to re-gift on there like one does a fruitcake after Christmas. My shoulders still bother me at times but after seeing the results of the k100d compared to the old s8000fd, it's almost worth the pain.

Barry
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
Igilligan

Ahhh! The old Ebay Game!

Gus,
The original seller had the "k100d for a "buy it now" price of $525.00 with all kinds of extras, so I jumped at the chance and bought it on the spot, no questions asked, I didn't even look at the counter, it's still looks like brand new. I'm new to Ebay and have been reselling items that didn't have good advertising strategy and sold for >99 cens and seeing if I can do better, it's worked so far. I have made around $145 on the lenses that were included in that kit along with the k1000 35mm camera, he also included, reselling those and the k100d will help me upgrade to the k200d, I plan to keep As far as the "50 shots" comment on Ebay, it's true as I said "I PERSONALLY" have taken less than 50 shots and it appears it was used (as you mentioned) by the other
owner.Before I placed the ad, I chatted with a power seller on Ebay who said it's part of the game on Ebay to re-gift on there like one does a fruitcake after Christmas. My shoulders still bother me at times but after seeing the results of the k100d compared to the old s8000fd, it's almost worth the pain.

Barry
My apologies to you then...
Sorry to have brought it up Barry, I thought you might not have known how many shots were actually on the camera and might want to correct it. I did not realize it was a choice you had made to play the old ebay game. Hope I did not mess anything up.
I am still not sure why you used your shoulders as your reason for selling? I mean just upgrading for more more MP and new features seems innocent enough. But to each his own.

The "Ebay game" that the powerseller and you are playing is exactly why I no longer will buy off of ebay. For the most part the sellers on there are honest, and I have bought a bucket full of lenses on there.
But I also got burned by a seller who was way less than honest in his description of the condition of the camera and lenses I bid on and won.
He played the mis-formation Ebay game and when I contacted him about it after I had received the items, he said he would have told me about the issues if I would have asked. Putting the burden of truth on me... What a creep he was!
That was my last purchase of a camera from ebay.

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-07-2008 at 01:27 PM.
04-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My apologies to you then...
Sorry to have brought it up Barry, I thought you might not have known how many shots were actually on the camera and might want to correct it. I did not realize it was a choice you had made to play the old ebay game. Hope I did not mess anything up.
I am still not sure why you used your shoulders as your reason for selling? I mean just upgrading for more more MP and new features seems innocent enough. But to each his own.

The "Ebay game" that the powerseller and you are playing is exactly why I no longer will buy off of ebay. For the most part the sellers on there are honest, and I have bought a bucket full of lenses on there.
But I also got burned by a seller who was way less than honest in his description of the condition of the camera and lenses I bid on and won.
He played the mis-formation Ebay game and when I contacted him about it after I had received the items, he said he would have told me about the issues if I would have asked. Putting the burden of truth on me... What a creep he was!
That was my last purchase of camera gear from ebay.
Gus,
So far I've satisfied my customers, I was very honest when someone asked about the s8000fd, I said it wasn't that great when it came to ISO 1600-6400 and be best to avoid it, sold anyway for $279, so after my rebate, I got almost all the money I paid for it back in October, except I did throw in a 2GB card. I still have my $15.00 Fuji e550 (before shipping cost) What are your thoughts on the Fuji s100fs?

Barry
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #27
Igilligan

"I was very honest when someone asked about the s8000fd, I said it wasn't that great when it came to ISO 1600-6400"
That is very funny Barry... you and I both know that camera is not great from ISO 200 to ISO 6400.
I guess there is honest and then there is "ebay honest"...

Again it is all a choice one makes.
04-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"I was very honest when someone asked about the s8000fd, I said it wasn't that great when it came to ISO 1600-6400"
That is very funny Barry... you and I both know that camera is not great from ISO 200 to ISO 6400.
I guess there is honest and then there is "ebay honest"...

Again it is all a choice one makes.
Not quite right, I did get some decent results using 200-800 ISO using the flash, that was honest but beyond that, I saw what you and Ted talked about, lots of noise. I was really lying to myself when I was "fanboy" on DP review praising the bridgecam is being the best thing since sliced bread, I still like the macro shots I took with it. BTW, just got an email from Amazon, k200d arrives tomorrow, hope to have some test shots...no Sharpies this time. LOL

Barry
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
For igilligan

Gus,
I was going through the archives here at the forum and came across the post(s) of your cat https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/14351-your-pet-day-post-up.html

I hope I can get shots as good as that when I get the hang of the k200d, that k100d has got to be the best 6MP camera on the market, great job!!!

Barry
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Barry,

You've got the bug pretty bad and need to see a doc quick smart!
One week with the K100D and already you've upgraded!
It took me a year and I thought I was asking too much from my mrs...
She kept reminding me of 'the economy of enough' at each point I considered buying a new lens.

If you'd not gone ahead with the K200D, I'd have said save up some more whilst still having the K100D and get the K20D. You sound like you know what you want, though. I would have also been one to tell you not to worry about AA batteries (they can still be used in flashes) or the 6 to 10Mp improvement.

But in any case, I hope you'll be happy with that upgrade, I guess until next week when you may want to go to the K20D, then the week after to the Canon 1DMkIII...

Let us know how you find the upgrade...