Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax k5 VS k7

So, I do know the differences between the two cameras, I know about each advantage or disadvantage of the sensors, ergonomics, everything. So, the real question here is:

I want to buy any of them by the end of the year, BUT, I'm on a budget and will only have the money for the K5 by next year, is best to get the K7 and more lenses or a K5 and less lenses(and great body)?

Sorry for any bad english, brazilian here.

11-08-2013, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoffmannLuc Quote
Sorry for any bad english, brazilian here
Your English is quite good and I'd bet considerably better than the Portuguese of most any member here. Even if it weren't there would be no need to apologize for it.
Welcome to the forum.
11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. Basically, the K7 and K5 bodies are exactly the same. The differences are in the sensors -- the K5 sensor has a lot more dynamic range and about a stop better high iso compared to the K7. I do think the K5 is worth price difference between it and the K7, but the K7 is definitely capable of nice photographs as well.
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,

Your English is just fine, no need to apologize. & Welcome to the forum.

I would really recommend Pentax K-5 II. Here look at the price difference. I used Google Shopping Brazil.

You can buy with Pentax K-5 II 18-55mm lens.

https://www.google.com.br/#q=Pentax+K-5+II&tbm=shop

Pentax K-5

https://www.google.com.br/#q=Pentax+K-5&tbm=shop

I would recommend to look for offers in Brazil. Later I can assure you will just regret not buying Pentax K-5 II.

Those are my thoughts.

Cheers!

11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Afternoon and Welcome to the Forum -

That is somewhat of a difficult question. Nearly 2 years ago, I went from the K20 (same sensor as the K7) to the K5. It was a very positive change in terms of dynamic range and sensor noise. As you have noted, it comes down to glass. If you went with the K5, what lens would you be using? And what type of photography are you interested in?

In the same situation - I think (knowing what I know now about the K5), I would be very tempted to go with the K5. It really is that much better - in my opinion. I use a lot of manual lenses and that does hold down the cost of glass. Even with limited glass, I would go with the K5.

The only exception would be is - if I were ONLY shooting is bright sunlight - no nights, evenings, etc. The difference in noise between the two bodies is substantial.

hope that helps,

11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on your type of photography.
If shooting outside during the daylight hours with good light, the K-7 is wonderful.
If you do more low light, shadows, indoor or night photography, then you will want the better noise handling of the K-5 sensor.
11-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Hello HoffmannLuc, Welcome to the Forum!
I own both the K-7 and K-5, so I'll toss in my opinion. K-5, without a doubt. At ISO 100-400, there's little difference and the K-7 is a fine camera otherwise.
But, it's not a perfect world. Sometimes you're out shooting and stop for a break, go inside a coffee shop, a restaurant, and a good photo opportunity pops up. But it's dim and your ISO needs to go up. Above (about) 800, the K-7 isn't very good and by 1600, really muddy. The K-5 will provide images at 3200 that look like the K-7's 800 ISO. It's true.
Shooting 'available light' means just that. Use the existing light, making the best of what you have. Fast lenses help of course, but nothing can replace a couple extra stops of ISO. Nothing. Whether it's evening, nighttime, indoors, concerts, early morning, cloudy or overcast day, needing a faster shutter speed for action, sports, fast-moving subjects. The K-5 is simply a better, more useful camera for all situations. If you don't use the high-ISO, it doesn't hurt to have it. But if you need it and don't have it, the quality of your work suffers.
Good Luck!
Ron

11-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi,

Your English is just fine, no need to apologize. & Welcome to the forum.

I would really recommend Pentax K-5 II. Here look at the price difference. I used Google Shopping Brazil.

You can buy with Pentax K-5 II 18-55mm lens.

https://www.google.com.br/#q=Pentax+K-5+II&tbm=shop

Pentax K-5

https://www.google.com.br/#q=Pentax+K-5&tbm=shop

I would recommend to look for offers in Brazil. Later I can assure you will just regret not buying Pentax K-5 II.

Those are my thoughts.

Cheers!

Thank you very much, and even further for going trough the trouble of price searching for me, you see, the big problem is the fact that, in the links you provided me and in any other places, these cameras cost about 3000 dollars, a K5 costs about 3000 dollars. So the only option for me is to import, really, even with the import tax it's cheaper.

Oh, and if any of you are coming to Brazil in the future, please bring me one
11-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
But indeed, it seems I'll wait more and get me a K5.

And as far as my photography goes, I enjoy portraiture, and, when I go camping nature and macro.
I've been taking a look at some old primes and been really liking them, love the way prime lenses make me try different approaches that a zoom wouldn't.

Thank you!
11-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by HoffmannLuc Quote
But indeed, it seems I'll wait more and get me a K5.

And as far as my photography goes, I enjoy portraiture, and, when I go camping nature and macro.
I've been taking a look at some old primes and been really liking them, love the way prime lenses make me try different approaches that a zoom wouldn't.

Thank you!
If you intend to use old manual focus primes I'd suggest looking into changing the focusing screen. The supplied one is a pain to use with manual focus lenses. If you're the kind that always uses a tripod and live view focusing this naturally doesn't apply.

And yes, K5 is worth the price difference (unless the K7 is just dirt cheap). The significantly lower noise also makes post processing low ISO images a fair bit easier. With K7 noise is always lurking there if you lighten up the shadows by any significant amount.