Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SIlky Pix Packaging

Hello All

I want to know if anyone here knows people at Pentax proper to address this inequity I have found recently.

I purchased the K 500 in Prague on July 31 just after to came onto the Czech market. I got Silky Pix 3 with the package and I am quite happy with it so far..... When I installed the program it gave me a link to upgrade to 5.0 or whatever correct version the 500 ca.n take.... for 189 pounds!!! Ouch.

Now three months later the K-3 comes along and has Silky Pix 5 included.

I think that is unfair to 500 users and K-50 users... I understand my camera is entry level and I might need to pay a fee.
However I bought the camera at its entrance to the market and the entry price was quite high in comparison to the current November price,

I was wondering if anyone here has bead on the Pentax marketing crew where I can take this up further. The pentax guys here in Cz can't really do much for me and said so.....

Thanks for any advice in advance! (and no I don't want to change software platforms, Pix is good)

11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope. Sometimes you get entry stuff with an upgrade option. Personally, I eventually got different software for about $59 that is much better (or does more things I want, more easily).
11-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

I received a copy of Silky Pix 3 with my K-30. There was a free update to v. 3.0.0.8 for the K-30 but nothing beyond v. 3. Perhaps v. 3.0.0.8 will be made available for the K-500 at a later date.

Regards
11-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, I got invited to upgrade to 5 with a 189 pound hit :-). Bit brutal! But thanks both for your replies!

11-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
Now three months later the K-3 comes along and has Silky Pix 5 included.
Is it correct? The CD-ROM states Digital Camera Utility 5. This is NOT the software Silkpix Developer Studio 3.0 included with the K-01 and K-30.
Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

I believe that you are not comparing the same software.

While I do not have a K-3 (yet), I wonder if the software Digical Camera Utility might be in fact an updated version of the older Pentax Digical Camera Utility (PDCU), with the latest update to support the K-3. PDCU 4.40 is currently the software provided with K-7, K-5 and K-5ii. PDCU is based on some Silkpix software, but much more powerful than Developer Studio.

I would be interested to hear from K-3 users about the software Digical Camera Utility. How does it compare with PDCU?
11-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Is it correct? The CD-ROM states Digital Camera Utility 5. This is NOT the software Silkpix Developer Studio 3.0 included with the K-01 and K-30.
Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

I believe that you are not comparing the same software.

While I do not have a K-3 (yet), I wonder if the software Digical Camera Utility might be in fact an updated version of the older Pentax Digical Camera Utility (PDCU), with the latest update to support the K-3. PDCU 4.40 is currently the software provided with K-7, K-5 and K-5ii. PDCU is based on some Silkpix software, but much more powerful than Developer Studio.

I would be interested to hear from K-3 users about the software Digical Camera Utility. How does it compare with PDCU?
Hey Hoc, I saw it written in some specs, perhaps here in the Pentax review that the K-3 shipped with version 5, and I called in London to Pentax and they seemed to support it. Let's see, I just would to find someone over there at Pentax in the right office where I could get an answer. Cheers
12-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does K-50 have Silky Pix??
12-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Does K-50 have Silky Pix??
Yes that's what my k50 came with.