Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
And meanwhile, in Israel -

http://www.karat.co.il/catalog.php?op=cat&id=22

(for those whose Hebrew is not up to the task -
"K-5 NEW !!!
K-r NEW !!!
")

There are no prices, there is no stock - want to buy from Pentax's Israeli official importer ? Find someone there that will be able to check what the price actually is. Pay. WAIT ..... and hope your camera and lenses will not fail (if it will, repair is done in Europe).

Oh ... and did I mention that Pentax importer here also import Canon ? - http://www.karat.co.il/catalog.php?op=cat&id=177

Wonder if Ricoh will do something about the situation.

Attached Images

11-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

So many people want Pentax. So many people can't get Pentax.

Here in Thailand it's like tracking down rockhorse dung. I get emails from other Pentax users or would be buyers wanting to know where they can get lenses and accessories or even new cameras! I've given up and say if you're based here in Thailand go and buy a Nikon D5200 or D5300 or D7100 and you'll find all you need on every third street corner.
11-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did a double-take when I first saw that K-200 image with the reflection:

What, a TLR from Pentax?
11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Historically, Pentax has always been very insular with regards to its sales shares, i.e., most of Pentax products are sold in Japan, with only a small margin actually being sold outside the country, which does say something about the popularity of Pentax products in Japan...

However, that doesn't mean Pentax products aren't popular outside Japan.

The problem comes from the distribution network, and the resellers' decision to keep Pentax in store or not. The problem is, many resellers say, Pentax products don't sell, so they won't keep them in store. Well, they could sell better if the resellers stopped pushing only the big names (i.e., Canon, Nikon, and to some extend now, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony). I've worked in photo speciality stores for 7 years, and in one of them, they looked at Pentax with laughter, while in the other one, I was able to sell as many Pentax DSLRs than I would for Nikon DSLRs (yes, Canon came 3rd).

But on the other hand, a lot of resellers had issues with Pentax's service in the past (not in every country, but in some). Issues like ordering less than common lenses taking weeks (or even months) because they were constantly backordered, or repairing cameras not being done properly (I remember sending back a camera 4 times to Pentax Canada to finally have it repaired properly when I used to be a photo store manager). That kind of service will not help a reseller to vouch for that brand, even less a smaller brand.

However, things look much brighter now that Pentax is a Ricoh brand. I'm sure Ricoh will work hard to penetrate the market outside of Japan with strength, and although it may take some time to do so, I'm sure things will improve a lot over the next few years. But there's a long way ahead in certain cases it seems... "K-5, New!"... really?

11-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I did a double-take when I first saw that K-200 image with the reflection:

What, a TLR from Pentax?
Had the same reaction. I was all "Wow! Since when did Pentax made a twin lens MF camera just like the old Mamiyas & Blads?"
11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Had the same reaction. I was all "Wow! Since when did Pentax made a twin lens MF camera just like the old Mamiyas & Blads?"
I think you mean like the old Mamiyas, Rolleis, Yashicas, and RICOHs, I do not believe Hasselblad ever made a TLR, they only made SLRs. Come to think of it, Minolta also made a TLR.
11-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
I think you mean like the old Mamiyas, Rolleis, Yashicas, and RICOHs, I do not believe Hasselblad ever made a TLR, they only made SLRs. Come to think of it, Minolta also made a TLR.
You are right, Hasselblad never made any TLR camera.

In fact, I remember reading something about the fact that the founder of Rollei and Mr. Hasselblad himself actually had agreed on Blad never making TLR so it wouldn't compete against Rollei's TLRs...