DSLR sales hurt by cell phones

Interesting read

Smartphones Destroying High-End Camera Sales - Mobility - Smartphones

cheers

randy

11-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he might be taking some sales figures and drawing the wrong conclusions. I think the tech in DSLRs has leveled off and that's why their sales are down. There's no doubt smart phones are the choice of the majority of the public though for general picture taking.
11-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

I have a smartphone with which I post pics while I am out, but the real ones are always with my K5.
11-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

We're also posting on a web forum about photography, so perhaps we aren't a great indicator of the camera-owning population as a whole.

11-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If anything - 'point and shoot' sales are being crushed by cell phones. I.e. A $99-$200 point and shoot is effectively what your cell phone is - minus zoom and a handful of features.

Entry level SLR cameras may be hurt a bit by cell phones due to the fact that an SLR will not be used as often (again - consumer - prosumer) as a cell phone is extremely portable.

For those still wanting SLR features - such as high end lenses, bokeh (not simulated), physical zoom, a real optical viewfinder, you're not going to find those in a cell phone.

The closest your're getting - is a Samsung NX series (android based mirrorless) - or Sony alpha. The 4/3 design is an attempt to bridge the gap - I don't think its doing all that well.

Personally - I like my K-30 as its rugged, and works how I want it. I do think that SLR at the consumer level is nearing its life end - mirrorless will eventually replace SLR - as almost everything else is software.

High end cameras will probably remain SLR for a fairly long time.

QuoteQuote:
Tamron knows it is in trouble. "Smartphones pose a threat not just to compact cameras but entry-level dSLRs as well,
Unfortunately - SLR lenses/cameras are a large piece (volume) of these businesses.
11-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Interesting read
Not very perceptive though. Declining sales of DLSRs has nothing to do with higher pixel density in smartphone cameras. Smartphone cameras have impacted sales of point and shoot cameras, because the primary market for those cameras is people who have no aptitude for taking pictures and simply want a visual record to prove they were at a particular place and time. As long as they can recognize themselves in the picture, nothing else matters. They carry their phone with them everywhere, so there is some advantage in being able to eliminate the need for a separate camera.
11-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

the numbers can be explained in a few different ways. It depends on the person explaining them, what the conclusion will be.

Yes, most people have a smart phone. Many of them will get a new one, but they forget to mention it comes with the subscription with your provider. If people had to pay the full price everytime for a new smartphone, there wouldn't be that many new ones being sold as there are now.
11-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
the numbers can be explained in a few different ways. It depends on the person explaining them, what the conclusion will be.

Yes, most people have a smart phone. Many of them will get a new one, but they forget to mention it comes with the subscription with your provider. If people had to pay the full price everytime for a new smartphone, there wouldn't be that many new ones being sold as there are now.
That is very true. I have a Samsung SIII for $29 - 8MP and takes 1080p video. Its great for social media, and almost free (I need a cellphone anyways - right ?). This is one of the rationales around mirrorless and 4/3 format. You don't need a shutter - and the camera is realtively cheap. Lenses (at least those with screw drive focus) last forever. I think someone did attempt to add an SLR type lens onto a P&S style.

This is probably where the low end consumer grade (i.e. highly disposable/cellphone phablet) is headed).

11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I use my iPhone for taking pics of things like SKU codes and prices when things aren't price marked at the hardware store. It save delay at the checkout. Or for interesting signs if I'm out and about. I don't use social media at all so I have no need for it there.

My unfamiliarity with the camera app means I usually take ages to get the pic.

Last edited by p38arover; 11-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I recently went to a birthday party with my 10mp Nikon J1 (£200) and a friend went along with his Nokia 9mp (£500) phone, when we compared shots he was astonished at how much better my results were for the extra 1mp!
Phone 'cameramen' will always be statistic readers and assume the more pixels the better the camera, so the new 41mp Nokia will be better than most dSLRs - right?
They also push a strange logic that the camera in their £500 phone is free. If a £150 camera was launched delivering the quality of a typical phone with a fixed focal length and a weedy flash it would quickly be discounted to bargain bin status.
But ultimately photography is a bit of a pyramid and for every person out seriously shooting telephoto work there will be a hundred people who only shoot 'selfies' and wide shots of their friends and each is valid because that's what they want. And the results are at least as good as the medium they will be shown on.
11-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Exactly my point - P&S phones are effectively obsolete. Higher end phablets have decent camera sensors + software to lower the need for an SLR.
Many 'just do' with a phablet for pictures on the fly, and don't want to deal with the entry price of +$450 for the 'basic' model of an SLR, then have to invest in glass ($$$), and find out in less than a year that their current camera is obsolete. Eg. Pentax K-x, K-r, K-30 didn't last very long.

Consumer electronics change at a high rate, and just like that Apple tablet - its obsolete the day you purchase it. The only piece that lasts - typically are the lenses - unless you purchase Pentax SDM

Those that still want SLR like performance w/o the bulk end up closer to the 4/3 market, as you're not carrying the 'bulk' of an APS-C or full frame. The sad thing - some of those 4/3 cameras are more expensive than a true SLR.
11-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would posit that the dSLR industry will be saved by the proliferation of camera equipped mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc). When the consumer mob realizes that their SLRs are more trouble than they are really worth for their snapshooting obsessions the manufacturers will be able to stop trying to pander to their fickle whims.
This is my belief. My hope. My desperate cry out to the universe...
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
We're also posting on a web forum about photography, so perhaps we aren't a great indicator of the camera-owning population as a whole.
The camera-owning population as a whole does not buy DSLRs. People who do are more likely to post on a camera forum.
11-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The camera-owning population as a whole does not buy DSLRs. People who do are more likely to post on a camera forum.
Not really relevant to the discussion I was having, but true. Nevertheless we're not even representative of the DSLR owning public.
11-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In general - the 'modern' camera owning population (within the last 3 years at least), end up having a camera through their phablet, and as a result there isn't as high of a demand for cameras in general. SLRs still have their place - but in general for many people - having a 'decent' camera with their cellphone service will suffice, and this has taken a bit of a toll on the SLR market.