Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

K100D, K200D, or K10D? (first time DSRL purchase)

Currently, I am using an old 2 meg point and shoot for web and snapshots. For any serious work, I still rely on my trusty MX that I purchased 30 years ago.

It looks like my current choices are the K100D, K200D, or K10D. Unfortunately, the K20D is out of my current budget. My local has the K10D kit for $799 and the K100D kit (not super) for $499.

Being very new to this, I will likely use the automatic mode frequently, but I want to be able to shoot full manual, use my SMC-M lenses, and my Sunpak 383 flash (2008 model, trigger voltage measured 6.88v). I rarely print larger than A3. Weather proofing is nice, but I am not sure if it need it. I shoot frequently in low light, pets are a favorite subject.

Touching the K10D and K100D for the first time today (they don‘t have the new models), the pentamirror on the K100D is certainly not at big and bright as the pentaprism on the K10D, but it is certainly usable. I actually like the size and weight of the K100D. The AA batteries are also not a problem. Being new to this, I still don’t really understand the advantage of the second control wheel on the K10D.

Some questions… Is automatic sensor cleaning that important? Is focusing much better on the new models? Is the new lens kit (II) much better?

A final though and certainly a personal rationalization. Purchasing the K100D now at that price would let me justify a K20D body in a year or so when the price drops. In fact, the idea of eventually having both is rather attractive.

I guess my most important question is, will I become quickly disappointed with the K100D and start kicking myself that I didn’t purchase the K10D long before the K20D hit’s the $799 range in a year or two.

04-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the K100D (non super) and I just love it. I have two old manual focus lenses and use them without any problem (except for focussing, but that relates to my eyesight). I also have the kit lens and some older 35mm zoom lenses.

I love the in body SR, and the way high ISO looks. I don't plan on buying any HSM lenses in the near term, so not having the Super doesn't bother me.

All this means is that the K100D is a great camera for ME. If you get the K100D now, you can either get another lens for the future or start your K20D fund early. If you find you don't like your new hobby, your not in too deep. If you do like it, you'll have learned a lot, taken a bunch of pictures and feel much more comfortable moving up with the K20, K30, etc.

my $.02
04-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Having just bought my new K10 a little over a week ago, and having a K100D(non-super), I can say I really like both, but I am really starting to love my K10D. Did I need it? No I would have been happy with the K100 for another year, but I couldn't pass up the price and opportunity I had to get it. Got the body only for $600 at my local shop.

I haven't been able to play with the K10 as much as I would have liked so far, but I really like it. Having said that, I think I like my K100 a little better in low light. And I have sen that the K200 might be better than the other two in low light.

My opinion, for what it's worth, buy the K100 and get the K20 next year. I love having two DSLRs. Again, do I need it? doubt it. But it's cool.
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the K100D now and the K20D later, then you have a excellent primary camera and a good backup (travel camera when size matters) and can change lenses between them.

And you will learn during that year why you miss the second dial .

04-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

If you want to get the K100D, I suggest getting the K100D Super, you could get it online at abs of maine for $499 also.
04-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #6

I too just my first DSLR about 2 weeks ago. I got the K10D. It is less expensive than the K200D and it is more camera than the K100D. It looks so pro it isn't funny. I love it! It's a little daunting at first but work with it and you will love it.
04-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K200d

My belief is that whenever there is a newer generation of modern electronics gadgets, just get the latest and do always forget about the old ones, even the price you could get them maybe damn cheap - but do remember there are always good reasons why they are so cheap.

04-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K10 and K20, and have shot a fair amount with the K100. My problem with using the K10 and K100 together (which I have done at weddings) is that their handling is different enough to have to change gears in my head to pick up one or the other camera. Using the 10 and 20 together is identical. If you are going to get the K20 down the road and use it in unison/tandem with your first camera, I would recommend the first one be the K10. If you will be selling or shelving your first camera when getting a K20 (or other upgrade) then it doesn't really matter what you get first.

As far as a second control wheel, for me the difference is huge and is the primary reason I didn't like shooting the K10 and K100 side by side. In manual one is the shutter speed and one is the aperture. In other modes they are programable to suit your shooting style. With the K100 you have to use the front wheel in combination with buttons to get similar functionality. It boils down to less thinking about the camera and more thinking about the shot.
04-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the second dial is very handy, use one for aperture and the other for shutter speed or exsposure compensation
04-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
My belief is that whenever there is a newer generation of modern electronics gadgets, just get the latest and do always forget about the old ones, even the price you could get them maybe damn cheap - but do remember there are always good reasons why they are so cheap.
I second that. Technology always grow up. And any R&D department of any company usually prefer which one should be fix/enhance 1st in their list priority.

If AF speedy, metering consistency, and/or AWB accuracy are in their top list, so newer DSLR must be better and should be picked.

But sometimes, in my most cases, i prefer the old one due to low budget. :-(

kyrios
04-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I chose the K10D due to budget and don't think the K20D is worth considersation till it comes down in price I'm sure its not that better in quality, its just got a bigger buffer and sensor size

Last edited by simons-photography; 04-02-2008 at 08:57 AM.
04-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Let's not get off on a tangent here. I don't think you need to "forget about the old ones". I have the K100D and it is a damn fine camera. But, then again, so are the K10D, K200D, and K20D. Just because the K100D isn't the latest/greatest doesn't mean someone shouldn't consider it.
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Let's not get off on a tangent here. I don't think you need to "forget about the old ones". I have the K100D and it is a damn fine camera. But, then again, so are the K10D, K200D, and K20D. Just because the K100D isn't the latest/greatest doesn't mean someone shouldn't consider it.
The K200D replaces the K100D. So, by the model naming and generation definition by Pentax, officially, I am just afraid that it is just meant that the K200D is simply better and improved no matter what one is considering by *now*, except for the price factor, which should be the only concern here.
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The K200D replaces the K100D. So, by the model naming and generation definition by Pentax, officially, I am just afraid that it is just meant that the K200D is simply better and improved no matter what one is considering by *now*, except for the price factor, which should be the only concern here.

Well... Couple things to keep in mind here. First of all, a new design can often be coupled with a decision to cut manufacturing costs, in order to bump profits. When that happens, quality can suffer, and the 'new' model line ends up having a fault ratio higher than the old line.

Second - evolutionary changes in a product line don't necessarily mean that the latest and greatest technology is going in - old components, old technology makes it's way in to 'new' products all the time - sometimes it's just an expansion of a feature set (bells & whistles) using 1-2 year old technology, and a company markets it as spankin' new cutting edge stuff, when its not.

So, I wouldn't get caught up in new-vs-old with respect to the k100D vs k10D vs K200D - pick what feature set you like best, taking price into consideration, and purchase accordingly. can't go wrong with any of 'em.

In the case of the K20D, there is a spankin' new sensor, but that's the only significant technological leap from the K10D.

04-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #15

The k200d kit can be had for about $700 now. If you try resale soon, the K100 would fetch you about $300 used, While the K200 would probably get you very close to $625 or more,judging by what is desirable, and what the market usually fetches for newer gear.
The newer 18-55 AL ll lens has been shown to be sharper. Forgot the link.Search and you shall find. There are a lot of good reports, on the k200 already. If you think you will move up within 2 years, remember the K100 will be worth much less than the K200,which will just be in final phaseout stage.