Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

you people are talking about camera equipment as if they are a form of investment... silly people.

you buy this junk to EXPLOIT IT.

the only variable is how comfortable are you paying X sum to get Y benefits, that is the only relevant idea.

04-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
Inactive Account

uh, same size sensor, but it's completely different (CCD vs. CMOS) and is supposed to be MUCH better than the K10D at high ISOs. Too bad you can't afford the K20D, but image-quality wise, I believe it's in an entirely different league than the K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
I chose the K10D due to budget and don't think the K20D is worth considersation till it comes down in price I'm sure its not that better in quality, its just got a bigger buffer and sensor size
04-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #18

"you people are talking about camera equipment as if they are a form of investment... silly people"

If money isn't an investment, we wouldn't be rationalizing about a $500-$700 purchase. He would get the best tool,and there would be no forum threads !
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to the original question guys...
Which camera?
Test drive all the available Pentax dSLRs and make the decision...

You're gonna get ALL sorts of opinions as to why you should get the K100D, the K10D or the K200D. In the end, YOU'LL be the one taking photos with it, so try them yourself and see how you like their performance and menu setup.

Never mind the discussion about getting the 'latest' gizmo - the most advanced technology today will fizzle out of fashion tomorrow.

Not long ago the K10D could not have been more highly famed, winning awards around the world and being the talk of many forums. So many forum members here have produced spectacular photos with it (as well as the K100D). But now that the K20D's come to town, there's been so much to criticise about the K10D.

Make your own decision and stick with it, or you could find yourself chasing after every new model in the hunt for the perfect camera...

04-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #20

Amazon has the K200D shipped for $661. Then pick up the FA 50mm F/1.4 for $200 and you are off to some great pictures.
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Practical difference between K200D and K10D is minimal.
You can get a good second hand K10D from this forum for $500 (as I have) and then you can use your saved cash to invest in good quality lenses (as suggested, FA 50/1.4 is best bang for buck!).

Good luck!
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Never mind the discussion about getting the 'latest' gizmo - the most advanced technology today will fizzle out of fashion tomorrow.

Not long ago the K10D could not have been more highly famed, winning awards around the world and being the talk of many forums. So many forum members here have produced spectacular photos with it (as well as the K100D). But now that the K20D's come to town, there's been so much to criticise about the K10D.

Make your own decision and stick with it, or you could find yourself chasing after every new model in the hunt for the perfect camera...
Thanks for the input! I am in a very similar situation as the OP and your comment has really changed my perspective.

04-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #23

"But now that the K20D's come to town, there's been so much to criticise about the K10D."

That's the thing with new models. They almost consistently get better and better. Fixing most of the "problems" with the older models. It usually boils down to the money factor.
04-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #24

Original Poster
First, I would like to thank everyone for the great input, it is definitely helping me with this decision.

At lunch, I was convinced to go with the K100D (not super). After work, I stopped back at my local which was void of other customers and the owner on hand. Buy closing time, we had effectively chewed each other’s ears off.

Unfortunately, I discovered that all cameras in consideration were only available from the warehouse, so no immediate satisfaction was to occur this evening. Actually, there was one new K110D available in the store really cheap, but I have not researched this model. (I gather it has no dust removal or shake reduction).

By the conclusion of tonight’s festivities, I am once again considering the K10D. (does this camera get lighter every time you pick it up? ) I really like the pentaprism, anticipate that I will grown into the controls, and am getting less squeamish about the Lithium-Ion battery. (can you get one in 10 years?)

The storekeeper also insists that the only real advantage the K20D has over the K10D is the change from 10 to 14 MP. So, why wait. (his opinion) Not having researched the K20D, I could not counter, but I suspect there are more improvements.

A Nikon D60 was also placed under my nose to fuel the fire. Nice focusing system, but I doubt I will stray.

Anyhoo, I guess I’ll chase the cat and Misses around with a roll of Fuji Superia 1600, get some sleep, and begin the decision battle afresh tomorrow.
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Quick K200D Question

Hey All,
Just wanted to know if the LCD display is backlit on the k200d unlike the k100d?

Thanks
Barry
04-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K100D's a fine camera - I had one, but I do appreciate the K10D's TAv, Sv and USER modes a lot as well as the better dust reduction. I had trouble removing dust from my K100D's sensor, even with the pro cleaning services (sending it there multiple times without much improvement), but found that dust on my K10D's sensor was completely resolved with a few squirts of a rocket blower.

Don't worry about resolution too much unless you really want to produce prints larger than A4. Noise may even be a little better handled on the K100D - but K100D starts at ISO 200 whilst the K10D starts at ISO 100.

K20D's a significant advance from the K10D. It's not only in resolution, which is less important IMO, it's in noise handling (which is excellent). In the end, consider your 'needs' and don't let your 'wants' convince you that you need a particular camera. But IMO, if you're considering a K100D, get the Super version for the added dust reduction (and SDM lens support, which may come in handy later).

I've settled with the K10D and don't think I'd be upgrading to the K20D until the K30D's come and people have started forsaking their once beloved K20D...
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #27

Original Poster
Again, I would like to thank everyone for the great input, it has definitely helped me make this decision.

I am sure there is some debate around this, but after reading for a month or more I decided I wanted the “classic” 6MP APS-C CCD sensor today, and the 14MP CMOS sensor in the future. Yes, I am shying away from the 10MP APS-C CCD in the K200 and K10D.

First, shake reduction doesn’t concern me, at least today. Never had it on film, and I can shoot 1/30 hand held without any problems. I only changes lenses in the studio, and I am not afraid to clean the sensor if it becomes dusty.

So, today I purchased a new K110D with the lens kit in a store for a very attractive price.

This puts more than $400 in the piggy bank towards the K20D in a year or so. This is my first DSLR, so I have a lot of learning to do over that year.

One of my first shots with the K110D:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
uh, same size sensor, but it's completely different (CCD vs. CMOS) and is supposed to be MUCH better than the K10D at high ISOs. Too bad you can't afford the K20D, but image-quality wise, I believe it's in an entirely different league than the K10D.
well can we see some comparison images to bear this out ?

I mean for the difference in price and considering this is my first DSLR I think the K10D was the best choice (for me) it cost 350 £ vesus 800 and will be a good backup camera when I do get a K20D.

I shoot at no more than 400 ISO so if the improvements are in ISO well thats not a huge benefit to me
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #29

Good goin' there Aperture!
Like Thom sez: "It ISN'T the pixels" - it's the eye that's peering through the viewfinder...

Go out and have some fun!
04-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #30
Inactive Account

There are images all over this forum as well as dpreview that show the K20D has MUCH better image quality than the K10D (especially at high ISOs). Whether or not that difference is worth the extra bucks (or pounds ) is up to you.
But don't say there's no difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
well can we see some comparison images to bear this out ?

I mean for the difference in price and considering this is my first DSLR I think the K10D was the best choice (for me) it cost 350 £ vesus 800 and will be a good backup camera when I do get a K20D.

I shoot at no more than 400 ISO so if the improvements are in ISO well thats not a huge benefit to me