Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #1

Pentax K200D Batteries Swap

As I did own a Pentax K200D a looooong time ago (and broke) I found myself in need of a camera with looong battery life and weather sealing so I can use it for time lapse photography over long periods of time (24h for example). And since only Pentax K200D had weather sealing AND battery grip AND takes AA batteries I was wondering can you change batteries in battery grip and get more images, for example:

*K200D with grip on a tripod, the camera first depletes the batteries in the grip and then it uses the ones in body, and then change those in the grip with new ones so the camera gets more juice before it's done.

I would prefer K200D because there good bank for the buck and not a huge loss if it brokes or gets stolen (preferably to not happen) but if I can't find one I might try for Pentax K10D or K20D (Samsung GX-20 seems to be cheaper so why not that one),

11-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L0n3Gr3yW0lf Quote
K200D with grip on a tripod, the camera first depletes the batteries in the grip and then it uses the ones in body, and then change those in the grip with new ones so the camera gets more juice before it's done.
Yep, you can absolutely do this with K200D and grip, it's how I have my k200D setup. Though, I don't use the grip often because it seems to cause the batteries to read too low about 200 shots before they would in-camera... I digress. Menu -> Set-up -> Select Battery -> Grip First. This will cause it to use batteries in the grip as the first option, as long as there are batteries with enough juice in the grip.
11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Yep, you can absolutely do this with K200D and grip
Agreed. And put some Lithium Energizers into both the grip and the body, with a spare set ready for swapping if need be, and you should have enough juice for thousands of shots. For time lapse you could also turn off the instant review display, switch the AF to manual, and tweak a few other settings to save a milliwatt or two and gain you more shots.