Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Infra Red Sensor on K10D for Remote

When the infra red is set up so you can use a remote control to activate the shutter the two sensors on the front and back of the camera blink. Does anyone know why? I am not aware of similar controls on DVD recorders etc needing to do this. The reason I'm curious about this is that I'm experimenting with using the remote to photograph wildlife and the blinking light is a clear message "here I am" so they will think it's time to disappear.

Paul

04-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Using the infrared remote for wildlife is not a great idea. In some previous posts at this forum I've noticed users complaining about the Ir-remote option turning off after 6 minutes.

I believe the best solution would be to use an external shutter release cable connected to the appropriate port (Left side of camera - viewed from behind). I'm quite shure you'll find a wireless option for this too. This should give you better range, no red blinks and the posibillity to wait more than 6 minutes for your subject to get in that perfect spot.
04-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
I believe the best solution would be to use an external shutter release cable connected to the appropriate port (Left side of camera - viewed from behind). I'm quite shure you'll find a wireless option for this too. This should give you better range, no red blinks and the posibillity to wait more than 6 minutes for your subject to get in that perfect spot.
Aputure Wireless Remote for Pentax K10D K110D K100 R7D - eBay (item 190210175115 end time Apr-03-08 18:45:24 PDT)
04-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think the blinking has any other purpose than to remind you the camera is in IR-remote mode.

04-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both suggestions above are correct Paul. Either a cord or a radio trigger will work better for this type of shooting. Here's a longer cord that will do the job at 5 meters. 5M 16ft Remote Cord for Pentax K110D K100D K10D K10 - eBay (item 230224848996 end time Apr-20-08 09:40:12 PDT)

The camera will shut off after 5 minutes in the IR mode and need resetting unless you do a half press of the button every once in a while. The other thing you can do it put a piece of black electrical tape over the front sensor light and position yourself behind the camera to make it fire.
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #6

I have used a corded remote shutter release a couple of times now, and unless I remember to half press the shutter every now and again, the camera goes to standby mode and won't fire. So I think you would have the same problem with either a corded or infrared release. I think the electric tape suggested is the solution.
04-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. If the IR blinking light is just to remind you that IR is on it's a pity there isn't an option to turn the light off. Thinking about it I think the camera goes into power saving mode after so many seconds anyhow, as I remember having to turn it off and on to get it going again.

I had considered using a cable and have one on order in case I need to try it, but I wasn't keen on walking around with the side door open leaving connections exposed or risking damaging the door. I am trying to make use of an old telephoto lens shoulder support that I will need to adapt as it only has an old mechanical shutter release. I may have to go the monopod route but I thought I'd try this first.

Perhaps your black insulation tape may be the way foward Peter.

Paul
04-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. If the IR blinking light is just to remind you that IR is on it's a pity there isn't an option to turn the light off. Thinking about it I think the camera goes into power saving mode after so many seconds anyhow, as I remember having to turn it off and on to get it going again.

Perhaps your black insulation tape may be the way foward Peter.

Paul
Paul,
The power off setting can be changed through the Menu/Setup option. Your choice of 1, 3, 5, 10 or 30 minutes or turn it off altogether.

To start it again, press the shutter release halfway to wake the camera up. Like others, I favour the cable release - mine is a Canon (shudder) but works fine with the K10D.

04-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the power off setting Rob. I'll probably experiment with both the IR and cable controls and see how they work out.

Paul
04-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
Like others, I favour the cable release - mine is a Canon (shudder) but works fine with the K10D.
Mine is homemade, out of stuff that was lying around. Also works fine with the K10D.
Attached Images

04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
Mine is homemade, out of stuff that was lying around. Also works fine with the K10D.

Neat idea! Is it just a simple switch connected to a mono pin jack? How does it affect the K10D if you hold the switch down?
04-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Neat idea! Is it just a simple switch connected to a mono pin jack? How does it affect the K10D if you hold the switch down?
If it's on B, the shutter stays open as long as you keep pressing the switch. Otherwise it's just a normal release. You know I haven't tried it on continuous shooting. I just always have my camera on single shot mode. I'll have to see.
04-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Let me know. If it works, I'm thinking of making one with a toggle switch for bulb mode. That way I can take very long exposures and not have to stand there holding down a remote control or button...just toggle on and come back later and toggle off. Just want to make sure it doesn't damage the camera in some way.

Thanks for the idea!
04-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do a search on remote or something like that. I built a remote following instructions and a schematic that used both a toggle and a button and it works great! I don't think I have to be in bulb mode either, but I could be wrong.

I just wish Pentax would get their act together and fix their software, so it could expose for longer than 2 seconds

Al S.
04-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Let me know. If it works, I'm thinking of making one with a toggle switch for bulb mode. That way I can take very long exposures and not have to stand there holding down a remote control or button...just toggle on and come back later and toggle off. Just want to make sure it doesn't damage the camera in some way.

Thanks for the idea!
Oh yeah, your toggle switch should work fine on bulb. I don't quite understand the next post about 2 seconds max. I just did a 30 second exposure with this switch on bulb. The shutter stays open as long as the switch is on.