Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help! Which Camera should i Buy?

Hi Guys,

Im new here and planning to be a pentaxian soon (Budget is around 45,000 Php or 1050$). Im planning to photograph outdoors, landscape and a bit of nature, currently my target camera is the Pentax K5 II or the IIS as im looking for a camera that has a strong clarity output (more realistic images). I've read some reviews about the IIS having problem on sports and marriage photography (clothes) so im having doubts on choosing K5 IIS leaving me on K5 II but it's so hard to let go of the clarity of the IIS although i rarely photograph sports related events.

So which one is best for me? K5 II or K5 IIS?

11-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by cj_bio Quote
Hi Guys,

Im new here and planning to be a pentaxian soon (Budget is around 45,000 Php or 1050$). Im planning to photograph outdoors, landscape and a bit of nature, currently my target camera is the Pentax K5 II or the IIS as im looking for a camera that has a strong clarity output (more realistic images). I've read some reviews about the IIS having problem on sports and marriage photography (clothes) so im having doubts on choosing K5 IIS leaving me on K5 II but it's so hard to let go of the clarity of the IIS although i rarely photograph sports related events.

So which one is best for me? K5 II or K5 IIS?
The lack of an anti-aliasing filter can impact the image quality of pictures with fabric on them. It shouldn't be an issue with sports photography, as it usually requires higher ISO settings that should make any moiré disappear under the noise, even the little noise found at settings as low as ISO 400.

Now for weddings, the lack of AA filter can cause moiré to appear on fabric. It's pretty ugly when it happens, and there's NO WAY to know if a file will show moiré or not unless you look at them on a computer monitor, for the LCD screen at the back of the camera CAN NOT show moiré even if it happens — its resolution is too low.

Also, keep in mind that most lenses will act as an anti-aliasing filter when used at small apertures (F/16 and smaller), for diffractions starts to set in at F/11 on APS-C sensors. And diffraction just makes subjects fuzzier-looking as it creeps into the image. Usually, best results are obtained at medium apertures (F/4-F/8), but that's also at medium aperture that moiré is more likely to strike.

The issue of moiré doesn't appear very often, except in fashion photography, because of the fine detail in the fabric, and in architecture, where fine, parallel lines can cause moiré if photographed at the wrong distance (the World Trade Center's Twin Towers were a good example of that). But even in fashion and architecture photo, it's not a major issue, for it happens only occasionally. Out of forty photos, one picture might have moiré, while the thirty-nine other won't because the shots will be made closer or further from the subject or at a different aperture.

But the problem is even less an issue if you shoot RAW. The best RAW converter do include tools to remove moiré (it acts like a softening filter, though, making you lose some level of detail). I use Capture One Pro and its moiré removing tool is just awesome. Lightroom's moiré reduction is supposed to be very efficient too.

Now regarding the sharpness, the lack of an anti-aliasing filter can help bring out extra detail in pictures. But...

In theory, the K-5 IIs should win the sharpness contest when compared to the K-5 II, at least on subjects with a high level of detail. But the difference isn't huge to begin with unless you zoom into the image or produce very large size prints.

But when applying careful sharpening on the K-5 II files, the difference between both cameras should become invisible to the naked eye. Of course, adding some sharpening to the K-5 IIs files as well will give the K-5 IIs the edge, back, but only for so long, as the files of the K-5 II are probably able to handle much more sharpening than those of the K-5 IIs, which will produce more and more demosaicing artefacts as more sharpening is added.

So if you mainly shoot landscape at low ISO, the K-5 IIs is worth it. If you shoot subjects with fabrics (or architecture with fine parallel lines) often, then the K-5 II might be more appropriate, and the difference can be evened out with some good sharpening anyway.

Hope it helps.
11-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main downside of my K-5 IIs compared to my K-5 is the colors are slightly more dull. But other than that it's superior for me in every way.

The IIs hasn't bothered me at all for sports photography. Even if I get a rare case of moire, it's so much less important to me than virtually every other aspect of the photo - especially with all the challenges of getting a good sports shot. For weddings you might actually have to remove moire in a few shots during post processing - but weddings are one time you're expected to do a lot of post processing anyway, so I don't think that should be a big problem either.

I hope you're allocating most of your money for the lenses, either now or in the near future. If you don't get good lenses the differences between the II and IIs are irrelevant - you should be getting a K-30, K-50 or a used camera and spending most of your budget on lenses. Then you'll get better images, and lose less money on the depreciation of the camera bodies. In fact, the lenses are so much more important that If you buy good quality lenses now you'll barely even notice the improvement when you buy a better body later.

Also, one more vote for Capture One Pro here - an excellent choice that I think produces the best results on my RAW files.

Last edited by DSims; 11-12-2013 at 11:24 PM.
11-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with DSims. You have to budget for lenses. The kit lens is an ok landscape lens to start off, but you'll want something else for your nature photography.

11-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I already expect it to be expensive on the lens part but i'm more worried about the body as I'm looking for a long term useability maybe around 3 - 4 years. I might go for the K5 IIS judging by the replies as it seems fitting to me.

Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it
11-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry for my double post.

I saw my friend's camera (Fuji x e1) on outdoor photography and it was solid in terms of sharpness. Im not a Fuji fan though but does Pentax K5 IIS do similar or better rendering?
11-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had the money I would have two camera system.
Pentax K-3 and a Fuji X E2. My friend is using a Fuji X-Pro1 and X E1 and his pictures is damn sharp. I also like the compactness and design of Fuji and one of the few downside of only having a Fuji is the lack of multiple lens choice. (And the Fuji lenses that exist are expensive)
I say buy the K5IIs, it's a camera that you will benefit and learn from for many years. WR, IQ, a lot of quality lenses (and the best community)
Maybe along the way you might be able to pick up a Fuji as a second camera or as a backup.

My 2 cents

Cheers
Yos
11-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Yos.

I love to play around on lenses that's why im choosing pentax. I'll go with IIS and im excited to get one now since this is my first time to use a pentax camera.

11-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree that lenses are the heart of the system, and you'll have those longer than the typical body - as bodies improve more quickly. I'll be a minority vote and say based on your budget that K5ii non-S makes more sense for your first camera - the difference in sharpness won't be missed, but on the images where moire is seen - that is a challenge to fix. If you are considering shooting manual focus often (I do that a lot with both MF and AF lenses), you might consider the K30 or K50 - with better live view and focus peaking. The image quality compared to the K5 series is close, but the build quality is a step down. For the $200 or so difference in price, you can go with better glass.

I'm a fan of Capture One and used it almost exclusively until the Lightroom color engine surpassed it a couple of years ago. LR has superior noise reduction, but Capture One is far more precise in color accuracy and adjustments - especially for portraiture. I can get by with LR for preliminary color adjustments, and finish with Picture Window Pro which has 3D precision similar to Capture One. The Adobe/PS color zone slider system is slow, imprecise and dated. I'm amazed graphics professionals don't demand better.