Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for your help...iThe Lens is HUGE...95 cm front element. I still need to use a mono pod as it is effectively a 750mm f6.3 lens. Man do I shake when hand holding. I am used to working between 12-75 mm at most. This IS a challenge. I feel like a novice.

Ben
Well Ben, it is really interesting to see you returning to your past. I guess you can go home after all. I know you had a mirror in the past and that you like some of the effects that the circles of confusion create in your work. I would be most interested to see your potential employment of this lens in some future venue.

I would also be interested in the degree of sharpness and contrast that one could arrive at with this modestly priced lens. I have the Pentax 1000mm and the contrast is very good and PF is completely absent and the sharpness is extremely good.

Practice makes perfect on hand holding the lens. I hand hold the Pentax SMC 1000 in bright conditions and can get some sharp images, but a monopod works better and a Wimberley works even better (even though it costs three time the price of the lens ).

Please post when images are available.

Stephen

04-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Hi Stephen

Isn't 'Wimberley' the new stadium where those decent chaps in Old Blighty play their famous soccer final, eh what......lol ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 04-02-2008 at 05:11 PM.
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

any samples of this lens? should be good for mooon photos
04-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks for your help...The Lens is HUGE...95 cm front element. I still need to use a mono pod as it is effectively a 750mm f6.3 lens. Man do I shake when hand holding. I am used to working between 12-75 mm at most. This IS a challenge. I feel like a novice.

Ben
Ben

How many degrees do you need to turn the focusing collar to go from min to infinity? Also what is the close focus distance?

04-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #20

Is that adapter specific to this lens or are there generic t-mount adapters that will work? How do you like this lens so far? worth the extra money for the extra to gain the 1/2 stop of extra light?
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

T mounts are generic on the lens end and you just need the correct Pentax mount on the other end of the T mount adapter.

I'm really wondering what's happening to Ben these days. First a 70-300 and now a 500mm. The next question will be "which 2x converter works best with this" and "how do you guys like my moon shots?" Or does this make my ass look fat? (in reference to the shot you posted last year)
04-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Well Ben, it is really interesting to see you returning to your past. I guess you can go home after all. I know you had a mirror in the past and that you like some of the effects that the circles of confusion create in your work. I would be most interested to see your potential employment of this lens in some future venue.

I would also be interested in the degree of sharpness and contrast that one could arrive at with this modestly priced lens. I have the Pentax 1000mm and the contrast is very good and PF is completely absent and the sharpness is extremely good.

Practice makes perfect on hand holding the lens. I hand hold the Pentax SMC 1000 in bright conditions and can get some sharp images, but a monopod works better and a Wimberley works even better (even though it costs three time the price of the lens ).

Please post when images are available.

Stephen

Hi Stephen;

How did you know that I shot with a mirror lens in the past. Did I mention that? I am curious. I used the mirror when I lived in Milan, but that was years ago. Do we know each other, have we met or do you know my work. I am curious.

Ben
04-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
any samples of this lens? should be good for mooon photos
Do you not mean "from this lens"?

04-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ben

How many degrees do you need to turn the focusing collar to go from min to infinity? Also what is the close focus distance?
Closest focus is 2 meters.

Ben
04-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
Is that adapter specific to this lens or are there generic t-mount adapters that will work? How do you like this lens so far? worth the extra money for the extra to gain the 1/2 stop of extra light?
It is almost a stop more than f8.0 it is 2/3rds of a stop. But also less depth of field...YIKES!

As it has been heavily overcast in Paris, I haven't given it a good work out yet. Will do so shortly. It won't be as sharp as a classic lens, but hopefully as sharp as my 500mm Sigma I had years ago.

Ben
04-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
T mounts are generic on the lens end and you just need the correct Pentax mount on the other end of the T mount adapter.

I'm really wondering what's happening to Ben these days. First a 70-300 and now a 500mm. The next question will be "which 2x converter works best with this" and "how do you guys like my moon shots?" Or does this make my ass look fat? (in reference to the shot you posted last year)
Peter...I don't know..I wanted to get a reasonably inexpensive lens that I could stick on to my K10D's to walk around Paris with. I don't want to use the K20D's as they are for my pro work. If the K10D gets stolen that is OK, but need to make sure the K20D's I have are secure for my business. That is also why I got the the Tamron. I will use the 16-45 Pentax for snaps as well. As to the Mirror lens, I loved what I got out of the Sigma I had for Fashion Editorial work and might actually try this with studio lighting in a huge long space. My lighting will add needed contrast to give a sharper impression than is really there. I hope my flash remotes will work at the distance required. Remember that the 500mm I had in the past was for film and therefore a real 500mm. This is effectively a 750mm lens in this format. I will need a walkie talkie to communicate with the model via my assistant...Seriously.
LOL

Ben
04-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I'm sure no matter what, being in your hands we will see some excellent shots.

I just saw a Quantaray 500mm F8 Macro Focusing to 1:4 Includes ND filter. Also include camera when ordering Adapter included. Price $69.00 USD.
Cameta Camera Used equipment EE++ rated.
04-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Maybe after all these years the poor canadian abroad is missing donuts.

The 500mm mirror will give him lots of little out of focus ones
04-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ben, before we all pull our credit cards and are ordering one.... what is your impression on the IQ??

Can you please post a few results?
Thanks.

- Bert
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #30

Ben

I am just tickled pink that you had to ask US how to get your camera SR to work.

Any other photography tips you want just let us know, we are sure to help and assist you to become a good photographer hehehehe

PK