Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Dumb Question?

I just received my "Walimex" 500mm f6.3 lens. It is gorgeous. However, with the "K" mount ring for Pentax, my "SR" does not function. This applies to my K10D's and K20D's. I was under the impression that a message would come up to choose focal length and off you go. Am I missing something here? It does work in Aperture, TVA and Manual priority obviously, but that greatly needed "SR" does not show as functioning...

Is there a screw on adapter that will allow for the recognition of AF etc and especially "SR". My 50mm f2.0 lens is recognized with the Pentax mount.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-02-2008 at 04:59 AM.
04-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just received my "Walimex" 500mm f6.3 lens. It is gorgeous. However, with the "K" mount ring for Pentax, my "SR" does not function. This applies to my K10D's and K20D's. I was under the impression that a message would come up to choose focal length and off you go. Am I missing something here? It does work in Aperture, TVA and Manual priority obviously, but that greatly needed "SR" does not show as functioning...

Thanks
Ben
OK., dumb answer. Do you have the "allow aperature ring"" set to "Permitted"? As noted on page 67 of the manual..

This may have something to do with it?????????

Last edited by Ed in GA; 04-02-2008 at 05:02 AM.
04-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
OK., dumb answer. Do you have the "allow aperature ring"" set to "Permitted"? As noted on page 67 of the manual..

This may have something to do with it?????????
I LUV YAH...Switched on the camera VIA SR ON and your recommendation worked...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Ben
04-02-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I was just going to say the same thing Ben You have to permit the aperture ring in the menu and then if your shooting in manual the pop up will come up and ask you what focal length you want it set to. Oh Yeah and turn on the SR. (LOL) or it still won't ask for the focal length.

Good luck my friend and I would love to have that lens.

04-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I was just going to say the same thing Ben You have to permit the aperture ring in the menu and then if your shooting in manual the pop up will come up and ask you what focal length you want it set to. Oh Yeah and turn on the SR. (LOL) or it still won't ask for the focal length.

Good luck my friend and I would love to have that lens.
Thanks for your help...The Lens is HUGE...95 cm front element. I still need to use a mono pod as it is effectively a 750mm f6.3 lens. Man do I shake when hand holding. I am used to working between 12-75 mm at most. This IS a challenge. I feel like a novice.

Ben
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 04-02-2008 at 11:17 AM.
04-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ben,

Can I ask WHERE you got that lens? I think I'd like to get one, too.

Will
04-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Ben,

Can I ask WHERE you got that lens? I think I'd like to get one, too.

Will
Here you go...

Foto Walser - Spezialversand

04-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here you go...
Thanks, Ben.

Looks like I could order this from Germany (I think 190 = about $300 US + shipping). But I'm not sure that's prudent. I can't find a vendor in the US that carries this product. Is it perhaps sold in the US under another brand name?

I'm looking for something like this: longer than my Tamron 70-300, but something that doesn't require me to rob a bank.

Will
04-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks for your help...The Lens is HUGE...95 cm front element. I still need to use a mono pod as it is effectively a 750mm f6.3 lens. Man do I shake when hand holding. I am used to working between 12-75 mm at most. This IS a challenge. I feel like a novice.

Ben
Tripod is the only way to go with this Ben. Years ago when I had my Nikon system I had a 500mm, Always needed a tripod or a good secure wall. These are monsters. I think they were referred to as spy lenses. You could pick a flee off a dears butt at about 1/4 mile. Pro master still make a good 500mm I've seen them offered for around $200.00 USD. When I get back to work and get my s**t together I 'm going to look into one. but for the life of me I don't know where I will use it.
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great looking lens. Love the f6.3 part. most are f8. Is Benjikan giving up ultra wide angles for the world of extreme telephotos? Can't wait to see what you do with fashion and a 500. The model will need a walki-talki to hear you. Good to see you can still have fun with photography.
thanks
barondla
04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like Ben has a shoot in Milan and doesn't want to actually be there so he got a Supercalifragalisticexpialidocioustelefoto lens.
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found the same lens in the States under the Kenko Brand. If you are interested.

Auctiva Image Hosting

and

Google Image Result for http://files.dcinside.com/contents/lens/500mmF63mirror/mirror_3l.jpg

This seems to be exactly the same:

::: Samyang Optics - We bring you safety :::

Last edited by benjikan; 04-02-2008 at 03:49 PM.
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Ben

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
Man do I shake when hand holding.
So did I when I was first 'courting'.......lol.' And thus it would appear to be true about the old adage that "size is everything" after all....sorry, but I couldn't resist !
Incidentally, my other-half & I are off to Rome & Sicily for a few weeks well-deserved r&r at the weekend, so when I return I look forward to seeing some stunning images taken with this monster.........

Best regards
Richard
04-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, LOL, LOL....Blushing :-)
04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ben
Interesting camera in that pic - so ugly it must be a Sony