Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #1

AE and AF lock behaviour on K-5 and K-3 compared to K-7

On my K-7 I have settings put so that AE is locked when AF is locked.

Now, sometimes it can be useful that AF is done using the back panel AF button only (not the half-press of the shutter). Then it would be useful and quick, if I could lock the exposure using half-press of the shutter button, recompose and shoot. But, my K-7 doesn't seem to do this. If I set the AF to be done using shutter button haf-press, only then the AE is also locked. Seems that there's no way around it? If the AF is on the back button, AE has to be locked using AE-L button, which is not as easy as shutter only would be.

I have been thinking of updating to K-5ii or K-3 next year. Can someone test and tell how this above configuration works with K-5 (ii) or K-3?

And yes, I mostly shoot in traditional aperture priority and have found that it's quick to set the exposure where I want by pointing matrix-metering "thereabouts" to lighter or darker parts of the scene and then locking AE.

11-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #2

Original Poster
anyone?
11-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Nobody?
11-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Seems to behave same on the K-3, that is if I fully understood what you describe.

I tried to get around it but cannot find any combination of settings that will achieve that. One of the things I tried was using the 'Cancel AF' setting of the AF button but it also cancels the AE lock function of the half press.

However you will probably find that the exposure meter in the K-3 works so well that you will find yourself needing exposure lock a lot less often.

11-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Seems to behave same on the K-3, that is if I fully understood what you describe.

I tried to get around it but cannot find any combination of settings that will achieve that. One of the things I tried was using the 'Cancel AF' setting of the AF button but it also cancels the AE lock function of the half press.

However you will probably find that the exposure meter in the K-3 works so well that you will find yourself needing exposure lock a lot less often.
Okay, thanks a lot!

Yes, that might be the case, that exp.meter being accurate and all..

However, from the pictures of K-3, the AE-L button seems to be quite hard to press whereas the AF button seems much easier to press (than k-5), which led me to think that hopefully AE would lock using the shutter button if I use the AF button to focus.
11-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the AE-L button is actually very well placed, at least for my size thumb. I place my thumb half way between the AF and AE-L buttons and with a very small movement of the thumb I can press either one or the other.

What I would do typically if I need to have different targets for focus, exposure and final composition is to first point in the direction required for the exposure, then push the AE-L momentarily by moving my thumb slightly to the right (this selects and locks the exposure), then pointing again at the focus target and pressing momentarily the AF button to focus. Finally just recompose and hit the shutter button.

It is actually even easier than it sounds and with a little practice becomes a very natural action.

I just wish they could have made the 'hump' just below the AE-L button a bit smaller as that does make it a just a little uncomfortable to push the AE-L.