Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps, but both the K-500 and K-30/K-50 feel a lot better than what came before them. Just a slightly higher class of camera but at the same price point (due to industry pressure).
The K-50 build quality might be amazing then, since I already find the K-x very well built. Nothing jiggles on the camera to this day.

11-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

If the camera is machined from a solid block the size of the camera, I suspect that is not as insignificant a cost as one might think. I doubt the market of the millions apply here where saving as little as 10 cents on parts or raw material is significant.
11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A metal frame just makes sense. Stainless for mine. You can solidly mount all the innards to the frame, which I think helps with longevity of the electronics. Soldered joints hate to be flexed even minutely! So if extra weight means better reliability, count me in!!
11-14-2013, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Chill the attitude, dude.

I'm saying that the heaviest my D5100 ever got was around 2 pounds, so it didn't hurt her wrists to use it. The K5 + grip is heavier than that without even having a lens attached. Even with my lightest lens attached, it's still uncomfortably heavy.
So I repeat, blow $50 and get her a kit lens second hand, or a 21 ltd. or an 40XS. And if weight is an issue, take off the grip. Quit arguing that a Pentax can't be light. that's ridiculous. People buy them for their weight. The fact that you bought only a big heavy lens for it, that's on you, not Pentax.

11-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Magnesium is cast not machine or they can do it by injection molding.]Plastic is also molded by injection but it's a different because in plastic you can integrated a lot more function than in metal.
Magnesium is use for mainly 2 reasons: stiffness versus thichness and electronic shielding. But magnesium is not as tought if drop on the floor.

Last edited by bobmaxja; 11-15-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Correction to meaning of my text
11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If the camera is machined from a solid block the size of the camera, I suspect that is not as insignificant a cost as one might think. I doubt the market of the millions apply here where saving as little as 10 cents on parts or raw material is significant.
Why wouldn't it be cast? Or be stamped and welded? There is a lot of over engineered product where everything is built to spec, without reference to how long it will last or how cheap it feels, a lot of us don't want something like that.
11-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote
Interesting concept coming from me because I chose my k7 to use like a sledge hammer in the field.

The awesome deal on the k50 made me think, how much fat could be shave off the k3 if it did not have a mag alloy body? I am guessing it would be much cheaper and lighter. Is weather sealing better with the mag alloy body? If it only gives it extra strength to the chassis then I would be willing to conceed this in favour of a lighter and more affordable camera.

Comments?
I much prefer the extra strength provided by the strong magnesium alloy body of my K-5 and appreciate that Ricoh has continued this build quality with the K-3.

A strong magnesium alloy body meets my requirements for a top of the line camera body ....which I realize are not shared by some photographers.

If you want a camera body without the rugged magnesium alloy body of the K-3, then you have an option ...the K-50.
11-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
Lens Buying Addict

A stiff metal internal frame helps the Sensor Shift mechanism (IBIS) work correctly. The magnesium outer shell may be extravagant but I'd love to see the actual weight differential between mag and engineering plastic at a similar quality standard. The plastic might actually be heavier.

11-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Monochrome , you are correct . I sold engineering plastic for 25 years . Magnesium have a higher coeffition of stiffness versus Glass filled polycarbonate who is use in some high end camera body and a lot more than polycarbonate/ABSblend used for entry level ca,era. This mean you can use thinner wall.
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #25

Since the lens mount is attached to a solidly built magnesium chassis I'm happy with it.
11-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Since the lens mount is attached to a solidly built magnesium chassis I'm happy with it.
Pretty sure the chassis is Stainless steel. Wrapped in mag.
11-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #27

Still solidly built!
11-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why wouldn't it be cast? Or be stamped and welded?
I don't know. Never seen its bare frame before. Speculating from a camera frame I saw some years ago that looked machined to me. Perhaps it was a prototype.
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't know. Never seen its bare frame before. Speculating from a camera frame I saw some years ago that looked machined to me. Perhaps it was a prototype.
Most likely Rough Cast and then machined to tolerances.
11-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote
Do we REALLY need a mag alloy body?
Yes. Pentax cameras are not built to be as good as other cameras in the same price range.
They are built to be better.
Ron