Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Durability of body material generally not an age-related concern. It is not time to failure, rather is is unit of force to failure and how it fails. My K10D was made in 2007 and the poly body looks as good now as on the day it was purchased and I don't baby my gear. That being said, I do have a realistic fear that a moderate impact may crack the housing. That would be my main interest in the mag shell.

Steve
What about lenses? We all know how much better plastic fantastic lenses survive being dropped on the pavement or concrete. They just bounce, and as long as the glass doesn't hit the stone, they're often fine. But with an all metal lens, that same scenario becomes a disaster. The metal permanently bends out of shape, gets decentered, etc...

11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
We all know how much better plastic fantastic lenses survive being dropped on the pavement or concrete.
EEEEK! EEEEK! Dropping a lens is like dropping your baby only worse!! Now I'm going to have nightmares!!!
11-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
To be honest, If the K-5 IIs would have never been, I would have bought The K-30.

I have no problem with Plastics of today, Some are downright Amazing.

Just look at the legendary Glock Firearms.

Tho the mag body cameras do feel great.
I think the ultimate camera body would use a ss chassis with a body using the same material used a glock or H&K. The benifits may be as follows: 1. Stability to material thickness of ss for mounting sensor circuits etc... 2. Impact resistance and durability for body. 3. Body warmer and less prone to condensation. 4. Ability to eliminate rubber panels from body. 5. A slightly thicker body to maintain weight\durability equivalent to or better than magnesium while at the same time allowing a wider edge surface for more robust seals. IP6 or 7 would be a whole new level when it comes to dslr's!

I purchased a H&K USP 9MM back in 1992 shortly after the came out an have probably put as many rounds through it as my k7's shutter is rated for and it still preforms and looks like it did when new! On top of all of this a joint marketing campaign with H&K and Pentax would make for the best camera ads in the history of mankind!
11-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm under the impression the K3 uses a stainless steel chassis and mag alloy body covers. Scroll down on right side.

11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
On top of all of this a joint marketing campaign with H&K and Pentax would make for the best camera ads in the history of mankind!
haha, thatīs the ultimate man fetiche "shoot guns, shoot with cameras, you man, hunter, predator, shooting everybody"
11-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
haha, thatīs the ultimate man fetiche "shoot guns, shoot with cameras, you man, hunter, predator, shooting everybody"
Life is good
11-17-2013, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

The A.T.F.C: Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Cameras. Sounds like a good name for a Pentax social group!!! This would also provide proof of the need for mag alloy bodies!

11-17-2013, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
The A.T.F.C: Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Cameras. Sounds like a good name for a Pentax social group!!! This would also provide proof of the need for mag alloy bodies!
Oh no don't say that. They will start to regulate frames per second and the maximum capacity of our sd cards!
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Oh no don't say that. They will start to regulate frames per second and the maximum capacity of our sd cards!
I can see it now "Moms against high cap cameras!"
11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
They just bounce
News to me...would you care to post a video?

Steve

(...have never dropped a plastic lens and hope I never do...have dropped a couple metal ones, but broke fall with foot...no damage...)
11-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To save Clavius the trouble and expense of doing the drop test...

11-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh...and they do bounce...

The Nikon body shell broke, but both bodies were technically functional after the drop. I guess some duct tape might be in order for the Nikon. Anyone care to continue the test with a D7100?

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-17-2013 at 09:57 PM.
11-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To save Clavius the trouble and expense of doing the drop test...

Drop Test #1 - Canon EF II 50mm f1.8 - YouTube
Haahahahhaa......That was an outstanding collection of idiotic looking Hipsters.
11-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Back on track now, I'd much rather buy something with an internal structure such as the one shown below. I think the magnesium chassis is a strong selling point for the high-end Pentax cameras.

Regards
11-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

New thread featuring drop test for Pentax K-30...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242987-my-k30-hit-floor-today.html

Who knows whether a Mg body camera would have fared better or whether the cost to repair would be less. Anybody dropped their K5 or K7?

Steve