Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

In terms of surviving a drop I think a body made of high grade engineering plastic over an internal stainless steel chassis would be the best combination. The steel chassis is what will maintain critical alignment of the optical components while the plastic body will absorb shock reducing the amount of shock transferred into the chassis and all the fragile components inside. Better have some dents in the body than an undamaged body with the internals turned into soup. A bit like the concept of having crush zones in a car to protecct the occupants.

For the flash hotshoe and the tripod mount one would probably best have easily replaceable break off parts that would break before transferring damage to the chassis. The tripod break off is especially important as one of the worst things that can happen to a camera is to have a heavy tripod topple with the camera mounted on it.

11-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #62
Forum Member

don't know much about material, though metal seems tougher. Electronic components don't like being shock. If you fall a camera, the electronic part inside get shocked anyway and I don't think metal chassis can reduce shock. And i think the electronics are the most fragile part in a camera, so the shock kills the electronics in the camera, it doesn't matter how well the case holds up.

I have tried canon 100d in shop. it's a lot smaller than any dslr and light weight and i think i will appeal to a lot of people, sure it feel plasticky but so as my k200d.
I think this metal body thingy don't matter to most people, it doesn't enhance your shooting skill or affect the performance of the camera. Women do prefer a lighter and small body. Only photographic geeks do want such so called "solid feel"
11-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
Only photographic geeks do want such so called "solid feel"
Hmmm. I would enjoy reading the market study that supports your assertion.
11-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
don't know much about material, though metal seems tougher. Electronic components don't like being shock. If you fall a camera, the electronic part inside get shocked anyway and I don't think metal chassis can reduce shock. And i think the electronics are the most fragile part in a camera, so the shock kills the electronics in the camera, it doesn't matter how well the case holds up.

I have tried canon 100d in shop. it's a lot smaller than any dslr and light weight and i think i will appeal to a lot of people, sure it feel plasticky but so as my k200d.
I think this metal body thingy don't matter to most people, it doesn't enhance your shooting skill or affect the performance of the camera. Women do prefer a lighter and small body. Only photographic geeks do want such so called "solid feel"
Well... lots of assumptions, no data.... go play with your Canon.........

11-20-2013, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Women do prefer a lighter and small body. Only photographic geeks do want such so called "solid feel
I guess I should post a few pictures of Tess, with her very own K-5. We should probably stay away from the argument of gender, but saying something like that around my house will get you a reading list in gender studies, and your ear talked off. You'll be so educated when she's done you'll wish she'd just slapped you upside the head.
11-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Well... lots of assumptions, no data.... go play with your Canon.........
Hahaha......He tried a Canon in a shop dude.. thats all.

Relax.
11-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Hahaha......He tried a Canon in a shop dude.. thats all.

Relax.
And then came on here and asserted (that is, offered a statement without supporting proofs as true becasue he said so) that people who would prefer a solid-feel camera body are gear geeks, women prefer small, light, soft, flexible bodies, electronics are senmsitive and absorb shocks poorly, and none of the body spec.'s improves final product (if, by implication, you are a real photographer).

But he knows little about materials.

The respondents merely suggest, if he wants a cheap, plasticy Canon, please stop trying to change Pentax and go ahead and get a Canon.

If you are joking, your humor is so dry it sounds snarky, dude.
11-20-2013, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, there's a lot of uptight people in this thread.

Glad I didn't read this before I switched to Pentax, or I probably wouldn't have.. I was in part trying to get away from the asinine fanboyism. "Some people might like it better if this was an option…" is not the equivalent of "EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SUCKS AND YOU ARE STUPID FOR LIKING IT," and yet the responses in some cases seem to be following that pattern.

I was really hoping to leave that sort of nonsense behind.

11-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Wow, there's a lot of uptight people in this thread.

Glad I didn't read this before I switched to Pentax, or I probably wouldn't have.. I was in part trying to get away from the asinine fanboyism. "Some people might like it better if this was an optionů" is not the equivalent of "EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SUCKS AND YOU ARE STUPID FOR LIKING IT," and yet the responses in some cases seem to be following that pattern.

I was really hoping to leave that sort of nonsense behind.
I agree with you, too bad you switched. You were lured to Pentax under false pre-tenses. You should sue somebody.
11-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #70
Veteran Member

"Magnesium Alloy" (insert manly grunt here) just sounds Manlier NASA like than just plane old "Metal" , And "Semi-Synthetic Polymer" sounds way cooler and techno trendy than regular old "Plastic"
11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would like a camera body made of felt.

Just saying...
11-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a Geek! And am proud of it! While not having a mag frame, my camera is solid and well built!! I like that!! I also like metal and glass lenses!! If you do not like that, buy whatever makes you happy. But it will be a very sad day if Pentax cheaps out and starts making LIttle Tikes(molded plastic) cameras!!!