Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Do we REALLY need a mag alloy body?

Interesting concept coming from me because I chose my k7 to use like a sledge hammer in the field.

The awesome deal on the k50 made me think, how much fat could be shave off the k3 if it did not have a mag alloy body? I am guessing it would be much cheaper and lighter. Is weather sealing better with the mag alloy body? If it only gives it extra strength to the chassis then I would be willing to conceed this in favour of a lighter and more affordable camera.

Comments?

11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote
Interesting concept coming from me because I chose my k7 to use like a sledge hammer in the field.

The awesome deal on the k50 made me think, how much fat could be shave off the k3 if it did not have a mag alloy body? I am guessing it would be much cheaper and lighter. Is weather sealing better with the mag alloy body? If it only gives it extra strength to the chassis then I would be willing to conceed this in favour of a lighter and more affordable camera.

Comments?
The build quality isn't as great as that of the K-3/K-5/K-7, but the K-50's weather sealing should hold up just as well. There is a metal frame underneath all the K-50's plastic, after all, and it certainly doesn't feel as cheap as the K-x/K-r did.

At $499 the K-50 is an amazing value, but that deal isn't going to last for very long based on what I know.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote

Comments?
I think it's kind of a business brand indentity decision. K3 is intentionally a premium APSc body at a reasonable price. That's the Ricoh / Pentax value model at all price points. MagAlloy over metal frame in the high-end body is one of the premium features. I don't think they want to market a plastic version of their best camera at a lower price.
11-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, If the K-5 IIs would have never been, I would have bought The K-30.

I have no problem with Plastics of today, Some are downright Amazing.

Just look at the legendary Glock Firearms.

Tho the mag body cameras do feel great.

11-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
plastic doesn't need to look cheap. Agree the alloy body is amazing and its why I choose to stay with Pentax. What would the price difference be if they dropped the alloy from the K3? Would it be insignificant?
11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
...and it certainly doesn't feel as cheap as the K-x/K-r did.
While the K-x may not give the same solid feel as the K-5 and later camera, it still feels like a rock compared to Canikon stuff of the same broad price point, particularly the lower level Canon gear.
11-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
While the K-x may not give the same solid feel as the K-5 and later camera, it still feels like a rock compared to Canikon stuff of the same broad price point, particularly the lower level Canon gear.
Perhaps, but both the K-500 and K-30/K-50 feel a lot better than what came before them. Just a slightly higher class of camera but at the same price point (due to industry pressure).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If I didn't have a goodly surplus of LI-90 batteries I'd be sweating much more over leaving this K-50 deal alone. Two years ago I'd have been thrilled to find an updated K200d, which is what the K-30/50 really are in my eyes. The basic smaller AA-compatible body, with two control wheels and a few external updates - but the excellent modern internals for top-notch images. Works for me, I don't squeeze my cams hard enough to feel the frame!
11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had plastic and metal Pentax bodies and have put them through varying degrees of hell. Both have held up well. For me the magnesium body of my K-5 IIs offers more a feeling of security than actual assurance that it will survive a hard enough hit or fall. That said I'm not more careless with it than I would be with a plastic bodies camera.
11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I love the metal boy, and I'm happy to pay for it. If it wasn't offered I'd be asking for it. Besides, what could it cost… and extra 10 bucks? 20?
11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, if it was lighter, it would make my wife more willing to use my camera.

She never complained too much about my D5100 which was only a touch over 2 pounds with the heaviest lens I had and the sb600 flash attached.

The K5 plus grip plus 50-135 weighs over 4 pounds and with the flash, goes over 5.
11-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Well, if it was lighter, it would make my wife more willing to use my camera.

She never complained too much about my D5100 which was only a touch over 2 pounds with the heaviest lens I had and the sb600 flash attached.

The K5 plus grip plus 50-135 weighs over 4 pounds and with the flash, goes over 5.
So what you're saying is there's a Nikon lens the equivalent to the 50-135 on a Nikon that attached to a camera that weighs two pounds, with the camera? Buy her a kit lens for cripes sake, or better yet a 21 ltd or 40XS.
11-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I definitely wouldn't bother if it only saved $20 or $30 bucks, but if it saved $200 or $300, then I would think about it for sure
11-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I have a Canon 60D, which is not low end. The build quality sucks, even compared to my K-x. The rubber on the grip has become separated from the body, which is a problem 2 other people I know with the same camera have had. My K1000 has stayed in tact longer, while being used far more times.
11-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So what you're saying is there's a Nikon lens the equivalent to the 50-135 on a Nikon that attached to a camera that weighs two pounds, with the camera? Buy her a kit lens for cripes sake, or better yet a 21 ltd or 40XS.
Chill the attitude, dude.

I'm saying that the heaviest my D5100 ever got was around 2 pounds, so it didn't hurt her wrists to use it. The K5 + grip is heavier than that without even having a lens attached. Even with my lightest lens attached, it's still uncomfortably heavy.