Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #1

Convince me

So, I have a little problem.

As some of you may have read in my 'Welcome' post, I do not currently own a Pentax DSLR [But have in the past and may in the near future]

An opportunity has risen which involves me traveling to Kenya to shoot a short documentary as well as general photography for two/three months. I will be leaving in one month, and then in April [a few months after I return] I am then traveling to New Zealand to shoot a BMX documentary.

I currently own a Canon 1D X, but I have to downgrade [for numerous reasons]. I would like to go back to a Pentax K-3 system, but it is looking more likely that I get a 5D Mark III again.

I am looking for people's GENUINE and SINCERE opinions on which way they think I should go and why. [P.S lenses are not a big issue, as I have currently had to cut back on my Canon lineup and changing would not be an issue.]

Do it.

11-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
So, I have a little problem.

As some of you may have read in my 'Welcome' post, I do not currently own a Pentax DSLR [But have in the past and may in the near future]

An opportunity has risen which involves me traveling to Kenya to shoot a short documentary as well as general photography for two/three months. I will be leaving in one month, and then in April [a few months after I return] I am then traveling to New Zealand to shoot a BMX documentary.

I currently own a Canon 1D X, but I have to downgrade [for numerous reasons]. I would like to go back to a Pentax K-3 system, but it is looking more likely that I get a 5D Mark III again.

I am looking for people's GENUINE and SINCERE opinions on which way they think I should go and why. [P.S lenses are not a big issue, as I have currently had to cut back on my Canon lineup and changing would not be an issue.]

Do it.
What do you expect of your camera? The K-3 can deliver just about everything (great image quality, durability, speed) except for pro video performance. The wide-aperture lens selection for super-telephoto is also still very small. If these things aren't going to be major issues for you, then I can definitely recommend the Pentax system. On the other hand, if you've already invested in long canon glass and if you plan on shooting wildlife or lots of videos, then perhaps getting a 5DIII would be the better route.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you expect of your camera? The K-3 can deliver just about everything (great image quality, durability, speed) except for pro video performance. The wide-aperture lens selection for super-telephoto is also still very small. If these things aren't going to be major issues for you, then I can definitely recommend the Pentax system. On the other hand, if you've already invested in long canon glass and if you plan on shooting wildlife or lots of videos, then perhaps getting a 5DIII would be the better route.
It is human interest, volunteering in a village. Animals are of little concern, as are telephoto lenses.
11-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It is human interest, volunteering in a village. Animals are of little concern, as are telephoto lenses.
Then the K-3 with some DA* zooms should do the trick IMO

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One month is not a lot of time to get used to a new camera in my opinion.

If the shoot is of any importance, for me, I would take the system that I am comfortable with. To be able to make any adjustments on the fly without having to think about where the buttons/controls are is most important.
11-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I would like to go back to a Pentax K-3 system, but it is looking more likely that I get a 5D Mark III again.
Bolt,

Sounds like an exciting assignment!

What disadvantages do you foresee would be presented by the 5D III ? What advantages do you expect with a K-3? Why not just stick with Canon?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-15-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo.
11-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The main advantages of the Pentax will be the small size, weather resistance, low light focusing, in-body stabilization, and (arguably) ergonomics. The main advantages of the Canon would be in the glass, AF speed in some situations, and maybe the videos (I'm not too familiar with that particular model).

If you want to travel light, the Pentax lens system is better. You mention that you are not interested in fast telephoto lenses, so one of the perks of the Canon system has just been scratched.

I would personally think that WR is a great thing to have if you are in unfriendly conditions. You could get a 18-135 WR lens (or a 18-55 and add a 50-200 or 55-300 if you want telephoto) and be well armed for most situations. Add a few fast primes for when lights are low or you want to get creative.

Alternately, you could invest in higher-end DA* lenses, which would all be WR (but would be larger and more expensive).
11-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I Agree

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
One month is not a lot of time to get used to a new camera in my opinion.

If the shoot is of any importance, for me, I would take the system that I am comfortable with. To be able to make any adjustments on the fly without having to think about where the buttons/controls are is most important.
Bolt, I agree with Stan. Another big factor is world-wide tech and rental support, which Canon (and Nikon) have and Pentax (and most other smaller camera makers) don't. Add to that the time-proven video capabilities of Canon, and it's a no-brainer.
Save the Pentax 'try-out' for something with more learning time and less demanding constraints. It's a great camera, but overall the system is smaller, support- both 3rd party and tech- is less and the pro-grade video is unproven.
JMO,
Ron

11-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Convince me
Why? You had all these wonderful cameras, and if you've read all the threads and info available on the K-3, you probably know better than everyone else what you would need and what the cameras can produce. Perhaps you can give us a rundown from your experience and what you think, and ask more specific questions, if any remain...

I am looking for people's GENUINE and SINCERE opinions
Done.
11-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I think the problem with the question is we don't know your constraints. A properly posed question would be more along the lines of "I have $2000 and want a <2kg kit to take pictures mostly of people from a range of 1 to 4 meters". If weight and dollars are constraints, a k-3 with the 18-135 and maybe a fast 50 would be the optimum kit under the above constraints. If instead you have $5000 and don't care about weight at all, and the one thing that's really important is knowing how to use the camera, then the 5Diii is your best bet.

If you really need on site tech support, you may find Nikon the only supported brand in the local community.

Every possible combination is the right answer for someone. The differences are in the constraints.
11-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
Disadvantages of the 5D: Cost is a big one [Half the reason I am selling my 1D X is so I can afford to get there!] Also, while it IS built like a tank, it is built like a British tank, not a German tank.

Advantages of K-3: Cost + Build Quality essentially. I would feel more comfortable bumping it around.

The only thing I am concerned about is the video performance of the K-3. It has Full HD .h264 which is essentially all I need, but is it implemented to a usable degree?

And in terms of lenses I am looking at a very simple kit at the moment, something like a DA* 16 50 F2.8 paired with a DA* 55 F1.4
11-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very happy with my DA* 16-50/2.8, and it is one of the early ones. I use DxO to correct the distortion and vignetting, and it serves me very well indeed. I use a K10d, by the way, although I am drooling over the K-3 for birding, particularly. The smaller focus areas seem to see more bird and less branch. Check out the K-3 in the 300+ lens forum.
11-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can't conceive trying to learn an entirely new camera system in less than a month before a major, international shoot. This may not be a concern to you but would be a deal-killer for me. I need to be able to access controls and make adjustments on the fly and that takes familiarity.

The Pentax beats the 5DmkIII in size, weight and portability as well as much higher burst rate and lower price. The Canon is a true professional camera which will deliver the same or better image quality, professional video,far more lenses and accessories and Canon's worldwide support system. And a MUCH higher price tag.

If money is no object and I don't have to carry the gear around on my back, I'd probably go with the Canon, despite me being a dyed-in-the-wool Pentax shooter. Since virtually all of my travel involves me humping my gear and price IS an object, I choose Pentax. (Or a mirrorless, but that's a different post.)
11-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

For any sort of video work I'd take the Canon 5DIII over a K-3. Stills only, and where AF & long tele's don't matter, the K-3 makes sense.
11-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The key to addressing the "learning an entirely new camera system in a month" issue possibly lies in which Pentax DSLRs you have had in the past. I think a couple of posts here have ignored that little phrase in your original post. The transition from *istD via K20D and K-5 through to K-3 has been pretty smooth, from my experience, in terms of the feature and menu learning aspect. While it's a big jump from the *istD to the K-3 in terms of feature range and capability, the look, feel and structure of the systems employed has been maintained across the ten years of development.