Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #1

Third party battery grips - experiences anyone?

I just discovered an Ansmann P-10 battery grip that is compatible with K10d. The price is around 80 EUR including a 1400 mAh battery while the original BG costs about twice as much without a battery.

It has a shutter button, dial wheels, green button etc. as well.

Any experiences with these grips and their quality in the forum?

04-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2

Wow, I didn't know that existed. Interesting to see that they also put in the control wheels, etc.
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Canon 350D and Canon 400D, Fuji S5 Pro (Fuji Finepix S5 Pro), Nikon D40, Nikon D40x, Nikon D80, Nikon D200 Camera Battery Grips from Ansmann

looks just like the db-g2. this is the first time i am hearing of this tho.....

would be nice to know how it is
04-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Check this one out:

Battery Grip Pack for Pentax K20D K10D D-BG2 DBG2 repl. - (eBay.ca item 330224239853 end time 09-Apr-08 18:40:44 EDT)

It just looks a little on the cheap side. Personally I would stick with genuine Pentax parts in this case.

D.

04-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Weather Sealed

I thought about 3rd party, but then decided against it. Only because its not weather sealed like the pentax ones. Could it let water into your camera where it is attached? It rains alot here in Vancouver, and while I dont like to get my camera wet, stuff happens.

Also, the pentax grip is more pretty and fitted. The benefit of a 3rd party I guess is to use different batteries like AAs.

Eric
06-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
well I am posting in all threads about grips as my 3rd party type 2 grip for K5 failed due to condensation. Fortunately camera was fine but I think I was lucky that the moisture had not reached the bank of pins or who knows it may well of stuffed the camera
06-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the bower grip for my K-5. Mfr says it is wr. Haven't had it tested yet as we don't get a lot of rain here in Arizona. Since I'm going to the Vancouver area in sept. it would be nice to confirm that before going. Has anyone had experience with the bower grip?
06-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
I have the bower grip for my K-5. Mfr says it is wr. Haven't had it tested yet as we don't get a lot of rain here in Arizona. Since I'm going to the Vancouver area in sept. it would be nice to confirm that before going. Has anyone had experience with the bower grip?
I have no experience with this grip but if you look at your battery door and no sealing there, then it is not water resistant

06-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the Travor grip for my K10D. My son bought it from ebay as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. It typically sells for about $45 plus s/h.

I have never compared mine to a genuine Pentax grip or to any other third party grips. However, the Travor fits my camera perfectly. It has all the same buttons and e-dials that the genuine Pentax grip has. They all work perfectly.

The grip holds one DL-I 50 battery, a spare SD card and the Pentax Remote F infrared remote control, just like the original.

I have no complaints about the build quality. It seems to be solidly built. As I said, it fits my camera perfectly.

Others who have compared the Travor to the Pentax grip, say that the covering material has a more noticeable texture and a more rubbery feel on the Pentax grip. I have not found that to be a drawback.

Its true that the Travor is not weather sealed, but then, I don't have any weather sealed lenses, so my K10D is not really sealed, either. I don't photograph in the pouring rain, so this hasn't been a problem. I have been in slight drizzles and neither my camera, my non-WR lenses or the grip have shown any signs of being affected.
06-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
I wouldn't trust it too much, unless you see the sealing. Truthfully, if something happened to the camera and Pentax found out you were using an after market grip with it, they would have the rights to void the warranty.
06-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Just looked at the battery door, and no sealing. So I'll not be using it in the rain. May be time to check out the pentax grip.
Thanks for the info.