Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Task specific grips

Just curious to see how many people would be interested in a system where as opposed to a battery grip, a company offered task specific grips. For example a video grip that offered sound recording and controls, perhaps even a auxiliary image processor designed for video. Or a sports grip that offered a larger buffer, additional card slots etc. Or a studio grip that offered different flash controls, and whatever flash people use (I'm not one of them) tethering wifi etc.

It would seem to me given the amount of empty space in the battery grips, there is a lot of room for the necessary hardware to customize the grips for different applications. Again even the possibility of alternate image processors. As I see it the primary advantage for a camera manufacturer would be that rather than designing a camera that satisfies everyone's needs, it could be customized by the final purchaser. Furthermore it would increase sales of accessories.

Just a thought.

11-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

This has been suggested before and I still think it is a great idea. No one has done it , that I know of, so there must be a reason why not as it seems to make a lot of sense. It would make more sense if the manufacturer could be sure the grips would extend across multiple cameras like the k-7 & k-5 used the same grip. But making two or three different grips that only worked with one camera generation would, I think, not be cost effective.

Also, not all cameras can use a grip. The O-GPS module, because it mounts on the hot shoe can be used on the k-50 and the k-5 but a GPS grip could only be used on the k-5, so this further reduces the number of potential sales.
11-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This could perhaps be solved with a modular system that has a grip housing that matches the body but with some sort of internal slots to plug specific modules into, like a computer motherboard.

The real question in my mind is if the battery grip connection has the necessary wiring to access the microphone, etc.
11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could Work?

Hi Shuie,
That actually seems like a pretty good idea. Since the grip is optional and usually only offered for the mid-to-high end bodies, it could be used to supply additional functions that might appeal to specifically 'advanced' users, like the examples you've presented.
It does seem like it could make the bodies more customizable (is that even a word?) and offering a body with (for example) modest video capabilities, that took an optional video grip for the larger package of functions (or, more battery power) wouldn't bother me. But, I could be in the minority on that!
It would also make the body/grip choices more of a 'system' like the range of finders, winders and drives offered for the LX.
One problem I forsee is that new grips probably couldn't be 'retroactive', since the pin layout was designed for the shutter and exposure functions and I'd guess these new functions would require a larger and different pin layout. So, it would have to be offered in combination with a new body, not added to an existing one.
But, once it was in place, it could work and would certainly be unusual innovation!
JMO,
Ron

11-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would mount a small flywheel, for better stabilization of camera, especially for video.
11-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
One problem I forsee is that new grips probably couldn't be 'retroactive', since the pin layout was designed for the shutter and exposure functions and I'd guess these new functions would require a larger and different pin layout. So, it would have to be offered in combination with a new body, not added to an existing one.
I was thinking the same thing, but if the connections were like a serial bus connection, you could access almost any part of the camera, just like an expansion card in a PC. I guess this would require the camera to be designed this way to begin with, of course .... maybe mine is a dumb comment.
11-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
What I would see is a line of camera bodies designed around this type of grip accessory. It wouldn't be backwards compatible, but future bodies could would be designed with the new grips in mind. I am not a tech guy so I don't know if something like USB 3.0 or firewire would be the connection method, but that should be an easy enough workaround.
It seems a system such as this would be a major change in camera systems. It does seem reminiscent of the LX days.