Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #1591
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But somehow I feel like a traitor to the K10D cause. . .
There really is no need to feel that way, Dave. Technology has moved on a long way since the K10D was made. And now you have a new tool to work with which can do things that the K10D can't do. The K10D is still outstanding at low ISO but the K-S1 will give you the ability to take images at high ISOs.

I rarely use my K10D above 400 ISO because I am not happy with the results but with my K-3 I can confidently use TAV mode and let the camera set the ISO. But when I can set the shutter speed and aperture combination that I want at 100 ISO the K10D gets the nod. So, don't feel like you are a traitor. You are just using the right tool for the job.

11-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #1592
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly. They are tools. Not ways of life! :P

It was fun though challenging the accept norm, but we all here agree the K10 is ok :P
11-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #1593
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I loved my K10D, my K3 opened a new world of photography for me. I still have my K10D and sometimes I get it out. My old Takumar's just seem right on the K10D.
11-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #1594

And now for a confession: I've just ordered a K-S1...

...But somehow I feel like a traitor to the K10D cause. . .
Come on Dave...
This year "Santa Claus" came early for me.

A Friend who left to work in UAE donates me these nice things.

And I assure you that I don't feel a traitor

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #1595
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know it must sound a bit daft, but my K10D clone GX-10 has served me well through a couple of difficult years of bad health and I've grown quite attached to it. Going out on the moor to take photos with that camera when I've felt up to it has been great therapy, and I make no apologies for feeling slightly traitorous about updating to the K-S1.

But only slightly traitorous. The K-S1 is due to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait.

QuoteOriginally posted by geol Quote
That's a great haul of freebies.
11-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #1596
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-S1 is due to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait.
Well, I have thoroughly enjoyed the images you have produced with your K10D clone and I am very much looking forward to seeing what you can do with the K-S1. You'll have to start a new thread though!

---------- Post added 11-30-2015 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by geol Quote
I must be nice to have such a generous friend. You have done well.
11-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #1597
Loyal Site Supporter

I've finally got the funds together to switch to a newer camera and the plan was to make the purchase over the weekend. But I've been thinking about it and thinking about it, looking through my photos over the past couple of years with my K10D clone, and in the end I've decided to stick with what I've got. I feel like I'm only now beginning to really get the best out of the 10MP CCD, and the limiting factor is definitely my limited talent rather than anything to do with the camera.

So I've come to the conclusion that it's pointless spending hundreds on a new camera when it's unlikely to have any significant effect on the end results I'm getting. I've got fast lenses so I don't need very high ISO, I don't make huge prints so I'm fine with 10MP, and I still have serious doubts about the colour rendering of CMOS sensors.

Looks like I'm in the K10D club for the foreseeable future.
Just a small point, but can you please tell me what is meant by a K-10D clone? Was the K-10 produced under a different name? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
11-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #1598
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Just a small point, but can you please tell me what is meant by a K-10D clone? Was the K-10 produced under a different name? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Samsung made a GX-10 which is a clone of the Pentax K10D : Samsung GX-10 - Camerapedia - Wikia

11-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #1599

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I must be nice to have such a generous friend. You have done well.
We are friends for 35 the last 35 years.
Something more than friends and something less than brothers...
12-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #1600
Pentaxian

So.... the KS1.. Is it here yet? :P
12-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #1601
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
We're waiting......

Sigma 28-90 macro:
12-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #1602
Pentaxian

Great rendering of the autumn colours in that one Paul. I always love a covered bridge shot.

It finally reached my eager hands last night after a last minute drive to the depot to collect it -- the delivery driver couldn't find my house (as usual).

First impressions are good: it's about the size and weight of an M Series film SLR and feels tiny compared to what I'm used to from DSLRs. The viewfinder is mightily impressive: slightly bigger and much brighter than the K10D/GX-10, with manual lenses seeming to just pop into focus. The only downside I can see so far is the lack of waterproofing, so I'll have to wait a couple of days for it to stop raining before I can do some proper testing.

I'll try to do some 20mp CMOS vs 10mp CCD comparison shots when the weather has cleared up.
12-02-2015, 05:02 AM   #1603
Pentaxian

They feel that small! interesting. Please do, but don't look to hard, just enjoy photo making
12-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #1604
Pentaxian

Please do, but don't look to hard, just enjoy photo making

You're right: it's not about testing and comparisons. It's about being able to go out for a walk in a beautiful landscape and enjoying nature in all her moods. Thanks for the reminder.
12-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #1605
Pentaxian

To be fair, it's not as if you needed reminding. :P Your images are always great. Looking forward to it.