Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #1621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm still in my early days of learning how to get the best out of CMOS raw files, and so far I'm finding it a challenge to get the look I really want out of them. Meanwhile the old CCD gives me the look I want with very little post-processing needed.

If you're right, and it's a software rather than a hardware problem, I guess I'm going to have to learn to do more post-processing than I'm used to. And perhaps I just have to get used to the fact that newer cameras are designed to give a different look.

My theory is that the K10D was designed at a time when camera manufacturers were still trying to lure people away from film, so the camera was designed to give the film-like look that we all love here. Meanwhile, new cameras are designed to different aesthetic criteria that gives them a much more "digital" rather than "film-like" look. I'm sure I'll get used to the modern CMOS look given enough time, but for now I'm glad that I've held on to my K10D clone.
I've been giving your comments a bit more thought, Dave. With the K10D there was only one "Image Mode" to choose from and in which one could tweak a few settings. But with the K-3 and the K-S1 there are 11 "Custom Image" modes to choose from and each of these have 4 configurable parameters which can be adjusted. I must admit that I have not done much experimenting with these but it could be worth looking into to see if one could get closer to the "standard image" look produced by the K10D's CMOS sensor.

There is a comparison of the different modes here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/image-quality.html#jie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have done a bit of playing and I am going with "Reversal Film" mode as it seems to be closer to what a K10D/GX10 would produce. But we are straying from the purpose of this thread.

Last edited by rayallen; 12-11-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding results of some experimentation trying to replicate K10D results on a later model.
12-12-2015, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #1622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Have done a bit of playing and I am going with "Reversal Film" mode as it seems to be closer to what a K10D/GX10 would produce. But we are straying from the purpose of this thread.

I've been thinking along the same lines and trying out slide film simulation in post-processing with Alien Skin Exposure. As you say, we shouldn't take the K10D club too far off-topic, so I think I might open a separate thread on the subject when I've got some decent example shots to post: a thread on how to make CMOS raw files look like CCD.

Back on topic: here's one that was previously posted in the Takumar Club, so apologies to those who have seen it before. As usual with the 10mp CCD, it needed almost no post-processing except to set black and white points and add sharpening.

12-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #1623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
so I think I might open a separate thread on the subject when I've got some decent example shots to post: a thread on how to make CMOS raw files look like CCD.
I'll be watching out for that new thread, Dave. I have things to contribute.
12-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #1624
Pentaxian

Feel free to start the thread yourself Ray, and I'll jump in when I've got some useful examples to contribute. You've got much more experience of handling CMOS raw files than I do.

12-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #1625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as a casual observation, so not scientific, I think the K10d does have its own colour signature for want of a better word. I would image the problem with trying to duplicate this in post processing would be that while the K10 renders differently, it also maintains a correct white balance (if adjusted correctly). It's easy to make global adjustments to a picture but tweaking the grass while keeping clouds white in a landscape (for example) would require a lot more effort.
12-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #1626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma 28-90:
12-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #1627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a nice scene and composition.
I would never have placed it in Texas, it could easily be England. Your photos show a different side of Texas to what we are led to expect by popular culture and the media.

12-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #1628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
That's a nice scene and composition.
I would never have placed it in Texas, it could easily be England. Your photos show a different side of Texas to what we are led to expect by popular culture and the media.
Thanks Russ. I've heard that said before, regarding some of my photos. However, you wouldn't have to travel far to find those stereotypical Texas images you speak of.
12-19-2015, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #1629
Pentaxian

Nothing but rain and fog here for the past two weeks now, with no end to the lousy weather in sight. Here's a rather noisy, grungy one taken with the 18-55mm. This is the fourth of those miserable little lumps of plastic that has fallen into my hands, and it seems to be the first one that's actually not too bad.

12-20-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #1630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it, Dave. I still have my old kit lens that came with my K100D, and use it quite a bit.

Another from Bear Creek with the Sig 28-90:
12-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #1631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and another:
12-24-2015, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #1632

Big fan of the K10d. My only dslr, and it keeps me from shooting more film. Thought I would finally post and show off some of that K10 color. Love those blues!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #1633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots. There's something about red, blues and greens on the K10, kind of film like.
12-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #1634

My wife's mother owns a parrot.
The Coco
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #1635

Exactly Russ. That look is what made me trade in my K5iis for my K10d. Just checked out your site, are any of those taken with K10?