Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #1741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very nice, Dave!

So... a question for you guys. Do you feel that the K10D being only 10MP ever holds you back? Still considering one, love those saturated colors... the K 24 2.8 that is on its way to me should shine on it...
It's not great in low-light, so thats the only thing that holds me back...I shoot only with MF lenses so I have no idea how the AF is. Also, I pretty much only use ISO up to 400

but yeah...low light performance is the reason why I upgraded to a K3

03-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #1742
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
It's not great in low-light, so thats the only thing that holds me back...I shoot only with MF lenses so I have no idea how the AF is. Also, I pretty much only use ISO up to 400

but yeah...low light performance is the reason why I upgraded to a K3
Well, but my question was really regarding 10MP, if you all thought it was limiting... with the K20D I just sold, I stayed at ISO 400 and lower for 99% of what I did. I will always have another camera that is low light capable (currently a K-r, will upgrade to a K-5 or K-5 II soon).
03-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #1743
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well, but my question was really regarding 10MP, if you all thought it was limiting... with the K20D I just sold, I stayed at ISO 400 and lower for 99% of what I did. I will always have another camera that is low light capable (currently a K-r, will upgrade to a K-5 or K-5 II soon).
I think it depends on how much cropping you think you'll be doing, or how large how your prints will be. Along with my K10D, I also shoot a lot with my old 6 mp *istD. Obviously I can't crop too heavily, and I've learned to try to use as much of the frame as possible during composition. Print size isn't an issue for me personally, and I've gotten really nice 11x14's from both cameras. The "luminosity" as Dave calls it, and the unique color rendering are the reasons a lot of folks like these older CCD bodies (me included!)

Dave, another great shot of those Dartmoor ponies! Here's a couple recent ones:
DA18-55 kit lens:

F80-200:
03-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #1744
Veteran Member

As far as the 10 MP sensor, the largest print I've done (just to try out the quality) is an 8x10, and I'm very happy with the printed image

03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #1745
Pentaxian

Thank you Paul and hmirchev That is useful.

I'm kind of answering my own question by using the "pixelpeeper.com" site to find pictures that I can look at 100%. The files are larger than I thought. Which shouldn't surprise me because when I got the K-r I also didn't think the files were significantly smaller than the K20D, but since the K-r is mostly for JPEG snapshots of the family, I wasn't too concerned.

I will occasionally print relatively large but for the most part I don't. I'm thinking there's a K10D in my future... it will be mostly for daylight street shooting and shooting subjects like flowers, etc.
03-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #1746
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest I usually print is 12x18 and 10MP is plenty for that. As Paul says, the only real limitation is cropping -- 10MP keeps you in the habit of filling the frame when you shoot, because you can't get away with too much cropping afterwards.

Paul's shot of the bench by the lake shows exactly that quality of "luminosity" that I was talking about. You get a feeling of actual light coming through the leaves of the tree and bouncing off the bricks below the bench. You can simulate that effect with a CMOS sensor with a lot of post-processing, but CCD sensors do it naturally.
03-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #1747
Pentaxian

I don't think it requires that much post...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K10  Photo 
03-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #1748
Veteran Member

Here's an image I took last week...I did boost the contrast in PP though

04-01-2016, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1749

So I finally got a chance to give my 'new old' K10 a whirl, I tried some night shots last week but it kept blurring the shots, the sensor shift was moving during the exposure, I have read about this before so I left the battery out all week and managed about 50 shots this morning, perfectly before it happened again, hmm, hope it's not a permanent problem with the bloody thing, anyway here are some shots from this morning with the DA 10-17mm
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
04-01-2016, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1750
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The biggest I usually print is 12x18 and 10MP is plenty for that. As Paul says, the only real limitation is cropping -- 10MP keeps you in the habit of filling the frame when you shoot, because you can't get away with too much cropping afterwards.

Paul's shot of the bench by the lake shows exactly that quality of "luminosity" that I was talking about. You get a feeling of actual light coming through the leaves of the tree and bouncing off the bricks below the bench. You can simulate that effect with a CMOS sensor with a lot of post-processing, but CCD sensors do it naturally.
So far I have not found the K10d limiting. You just have to think about the shot you are looking for, then sometimes you get a subject that just wants its close up!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-03-2016, 12:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1751

Photos: Gallery
It's hunting time...

K10 and VOMZ Jupiter21M 4/200
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by geol; 04-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.
04-03-2016, 02:19 AM   #1752
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geol Quote
It's hunting time...

K10 and VOMZ Jupiter21M 4/200
K10D still rocks. Super shot.
04-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #1753
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera is only as limiting as you want it to be whether it is a K10D or one of the *ist D versions.

If you are seriously into 11x14 or larger, and just don't allow yourself to print smaller, then the K10D may not always provide the file size you need. And almost any file can be enlarged to some degree with today's software.

But, if you are like a lot of us, easily 90% goes no further than the computer screen. Out of the remaining 10%, the great majority are printed at 4x6 or 5x7, which works really well in most photo scrap books. I have printed a few at 5x7 or 8x10 to hang on my wall at home, usually of my family. I print Xmas present prints at this size. Occasionally I will try a print larger than 8x10, usually 13x19.

To be honest, I have one photograph from the K10D that worked well at 13x19. The rest have not gracefully enlarged that far to look good. For me I would have to say that this is the ultimate limit for the K10D file and is a big reason I bought the 645D.

I kind of consider the 13x19 print to be the limit for most APSC sensors. I know that there are those who will happily argue with me about this but even my K5iis, though a very nice camera, struggles with 13x19 prints. The problem with the K5 is that it smooths things out. The file will print that large but they look artificial to my eyes. Since I do prefer the K10D's CCD sensor (I know, silly me since there is no difference) I usually shoot it more often.

So far, since I have not worked much with the 645D yet, my favorite for larger prints remains the simple K10D.
04-04-2016, 04:02 AM   #1754

Just got mine last weekend!

It came with the original grip, and I just love how easy is to handle and how well does that suits to mu hand. Brilliant ! Having also the K5, i must say I love also how you can get it, but the K10 I found it specially well resolved in that aspect.

Shutter is quite noisy and the camera in shutter speed takes less frames per second than the K5, but it's okay.

Just need to work on the photos taken with it as I have many and haven't been yet able to see them quite well.

Overhall, it's a great first impression.
04-04-2016, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #1755
Loyal Site Supporter

Using an old F80-200 zoom: